X38 USB controller driver issue

To start off, it’s an ASUS P5E WS Pro board, E8200 @ 3.4GHz stable, 2x 4850s, 4x 1G Kingston HyperX, 1kw Antec TPQ, and a bunch of hdds.

Okay, onto the problem. I rarely shut off my computer, but about a week ago I had it down for maintenance and when I booted it back up my keyboard and mouse would not respond. So I remoted desktop’d into it to see if I could do anything and all my "USB Host Controller"s had yellow warning signs and said that the driver could not be loaded. So, I rolled back the drivers and everything worked, even updated back to what they were and still worked. Then just about 2 hours ago I restarted after a couple software updates and it happens again, same old jazz to get it working again also.

Now, I am thinking it’s a driver problem as it is an older Intel driver v8.3.1.1011 from 2008 but when I try to update to the latest from Intel’s site with the v9.1.1.1025 drivers it just installs the v8.3.1.1011 drivers that I have and says its finished. I have tried uninstalling the old ones first and then updating, but that doesn’t seem to be working. I haven’t tried uninstalling then rebooting and trying because I don’t want to go through that stuff again. So, I’m thinking theres something wrong in one of the two drivers, I don’t think my motherboard is past the point of support, is it?

Thank you for any help.

Hi,

do you have the same problem if you run your system at stock speeds?

USB drivers are part of the operating system, that’s why intel only offers .inf files that tell Windows what components are present.

Michael

It doesn’t make a difference if it’s at stock, oc’ed or even underclocked. The problem is still there.

I know USB drivers are part of the OS but shouldn’t I still be able to update the driver itself? Or am I stuck with choosing either this crappy driver with 2.0 speeds or rolling back to the windows ones that only run at 1.1 or 1.0, can’t tell it just pops up saying it can perform faster, speeds?

I would guess there’s a problem with one of the usb devices, try swaping out the keyboard and/or mouse. Also unplug all USB stuff and blow the dust out of the connectors in the back panel.

[QUOTE=oldhome7;2564264]It doesn’t make a difference if it’s at stock, oc’ed or even underclocked. The problem is still there.[/quote]Okay. Running the system at stock speeds and stock settings is the first thing to do for troubleshooting.

I know USB drivers are part of the OS but shouldn’t I still be able to update the driver itself?
No, since there is no updated driver for your USB controller (exception: USB 3.0 controllers which don’t have native support by the OS yet).

Or am I stuck with choosing either this crappy driver with 2.0 speeds
What’s wrong with USB 2.0 speeds? :wink:

or rolling back to the windows ones that only run at 1.1 or 1.0, can’t tell it just pops up saying it can perform faster, speeds?
Okay, there must be a reason why your controllers run in USB 1.1 mode then.

Unplug all USB devices, then uninstall all USB controllers in Device manager. Make sure the hidden devices are also uninstalled: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539
Then reboot and see what happens.

Michael

Actually on most MoBo’s made mid decade or later USB drivers are NOT part of
the OS but in MoBo BIOS and are recognized natively.

They MUST be “natively recognized”

Sometime around 2005-2006 computer manufactures started making computers that were intended to be run with USB mouse and keyboard natively and you have to go into setup and selective “legacy devices” to on to get a PS2 mouse or keyboard recognized at all, this of course presumes that
the MoBo even has PS2 jacks…

Because many MoBo’s made 2006 or later didn’t bother including PS2 jacks for legacy keyboard and mouse…
If the USB drivers were part of the OS there’d be no way to POST the computer
let alone install an OS unless the USB was in BIOS/CMOS…

Frankly I’d check to see what the setings were in setup and if you are using
USB keyboard and mouse turn “legacy devices” (PS2 keyboard and mouse) to OFF

The “new hardware detected” and “installing drivers” when you connect a USB keyboard
do not generally relate to the keyboard functions, but to the often included USB hub or
Multimedia functions that are included in/on many keyboards.

Why should you need a driver for a keyboard if the computer will typically fail to POST
when it fails to detect a keyboard when booting?

BTW, this set of symptoms can also be caused by a dead dying CMOS battery,
which would cause your computer to lose it’s settings on an a power off reboot
Spend $3 on a new CR2032 (they also come in two packs for ~$4) before investigating the problem further. this comes under the heading of"always check stupid stuff first!"

AD

The battery is newer, maybe 5 months ago, and I have ones last a couple years before, and none of the settings are ever lost when I reboot because my overclock stays the same and I know from changing the battery before that it does get reset, old mobo would actually keep the oc settings.

Legacy devices has always been set to off since I got this mobo and it defaults to that either way. And I’m not really talking about the kb/mouse drivers, I’m talking about the “Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal/USB2 Enhanced Host Controller” drivers. Also, I find it weird that it says ICH9 when in fact it’s an ICH9R but it’s never given me a problem before and that’s a different topic for a different time.

Haven’t gotten around to uninstalling/rebooting yet but I will do that in a couple minutes and report back.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2564405]Actually on most MoBo’s made mid decade or later USB drivers are NOT part of
the OS but in MoBo BIOS and are recognized natively.[/quote]No.
Drivers interface between the OS and the hardware, so they must either be provided by the OS or installed separately.
Perhaps you are mixing this up with the “USB legacy” stuff that allows to use USB keyboards even in Bios setup or the possibility to boot from certain USB storage devices.

Michael

Well, I uninstalled and even checked delete driver software and then rebooted and I still had to rdp into my computer to get my mouse/kb working. I even reran the Intel update but it is still installing the v8 driver instead of the new v9 driver. Like I said before, I’m pretty sure these can be update, because I know I’ve done it before on old machines I’ve had before, so what is the deal?