WYSIWYG HTML Editor

I’d like to know which software you guys use or prefer to use in this matter. The reason for the wysiwyg is because I’ll be forwarding recommendations to my relatives who have absolutely no clue on building a website. These are the criterias:

1. User friendly - especially for beginners, yet;
  2. Powerful enough to create a reasonable complex website as they want it to be a long term investment;
  3. It won’t be used commercially;
  4. Cost doesn’t matter as long as they’re satisfied

TIA for any help!

Dreamweaver MX from Macromedia. It 0wns every other editor. :slight_smile:

As you said cost doesn’t matter Dreamweaver is a very good tool but I havent tried the latest version. And as it’s not for a comercial purpose and the users are inexperienced it might be a little overkill.

Wysiwyg ? MickeySoft Frontpage , how more Wysiwig do you want it ?

Quality ? Notepad and a “learning html” book for 7 euro.

No no no not Frontpage :Z :Z :Z :Z :Z
(worst html-editor ever)

Notepad yes, frontpage no. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the recommendations. I just have several more questions…has anyone tried this software? What about coffeecup html editor? I use dreamweaver at school and don’t find it all that friendly for first time users…although it does have everything and would be a very good long term investment. If else fails I will definitely recommend dreamweaver.

@Belvedere: M$ Frontpage is not creating proper html files. They contain a load of overhead, and M$ obviously does not even know that html requires special chars (ä, ö, ü, é, ç … ) to be coded.

Writing html in the windows editor is faster than using Frontpage and fixing the html afterwards :frowning:

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]@Belvedere: M$ Frontpage is not creating proper html files. They contains a load of overhead, and M$ obviously does not even know that html requires special chars (ä, ö, ü, é, ç … ) to be coded.

Writing html in the windows editor is faster than using Frontpage and fixing the html afterwards :frowning: [/B]

You call that overhead? Ever seen an HTML made by MS Word? Now that’s what I call overhead :slight_smile:

Back to the question: my personal favourite HTML editor is UltraEdit. UltraEdit is no more than just another text editor, but with some neat functions.

Vim does the job also very well, but I guess you want to stick to Windows…

For WYSIWYG editing, Dreamweaver is one of the finest products. For some things it’s quite handy, especially if you want complex graphical menu’s (and you don’t care about DHTML)…

the most easy program was the sitebuilder you download from homestead. (cant find it anymore tho)
with that program you can make a site in 15 minutes. the options are pretty limited but for first time users its more than enough.
dreamweaver is a good program but i can understand that its pretty hard to learn for first time users who have no clue what al the terms mean.

in my experience, its much easier to learn a bit of html, and then use a wysiwyg editor, than to have no html skills at all and try and use one. not that much html is needed, maybe the amount you could learn in a few weeks. if it is truly something that they plan on doing for the long term, then surely they can bother to learn a little?

Yes buy a book on HTML too :slight_smile:

@Airhead: Not everyone is that rich :smiley:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/

Or read a webcourse online! :stuck_out_tongue:

Learning HTML is like learning Wordperfect macro’s.

You just need a little reference text and notepad.

Everything else sucks , your browser is your wysiwyg reference

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve decided to go for dreamweaver. The reason for not buying a book is that they want me to teach them how to use the software and all. I don’t mind doing it since I get paid for it but I had to find some good reference for beginner (to give me a starting point). Thanks to alexnoe for pointing me to that website, but I found a better and bit more comprehensive one here.

Mr.B is right, but since I’m dealing with quite a difficult bunch of people (and get paid really well for it), I have to follow their preference.