WXP Home and SP2 Question

vbimport

G’day
Is there any way to get rid of SP2 from Windows XP Home? I don’t think I like it at all. It won’t let me start Netscape. any help will be appreciated.
OldJohn

Yo-

Once you put any component of Microsoft on any computer - getting it off is nearly impossible-

Suggest that you try upgrading your Netscape to latest version and take it from there (the latest version is tuned to cooperate with SP2)-

Mike

Did your XP CD come with SP2? If so, well…learn to work with it. =) If not, reformat and start over. :slight_smile:

if you installed SP2 separately, i’m pretty sure there was a way to uninstall it (my installation is slipstreamed, so i can’t check that out for myself).

If your XP CD came with SP2 already installed, then there is nothing that you can do about it. But your post seems to imply that you added it later since it “It won’t let (you) start Netscape.” I am assuming that Netscape ran the before SP2 installation, since it’s causing the problem. If this is the case look in add/remove programs and see if it’s listed. If so your in luck; just remove it.

like BlackWolf said go to add/Remove programs it is in there if you installed it after win XP.

Ya might want to try a system restore if it didn’t come on a disk.

Thankyou all for the replies.
BlackWolf, What happened was:I was running WXP Pro without SP2 and Netscape never gave me a problem. The PC went kaput. I did not have the Win disc nor could restore system. The screen went black. I bough XP Home and it comes with SP2 in the disk, so, I’m Buggered. I’ll try to buy Win XP Pro Without SP2 and i’ll try to get the new ver of Nescape.
Thankyou again to all for the help.
OldJhon

The problem is SP2, not WXP Home. You need to look for a CD with WXP Home or Pro with SP1.

The main problems people get with sp2 is when they try to update to it form sp1 etc, and more often than not the average home user is infested with adware, spyware, trojans, viruses etc, if you’re running a slisptreamed version then just update to newer versions of what every program you’re having trouble with, installing an uninstalling large updates like SP2 is just going to create more problems.

Thanks very much guys

Hey redback…

I’m presuming that your an Ausie and if so, don’t know if this will fly for you, but it’s worth a shot. There’s a company named www.bigclearance.com in the states that still has OEM pkgs of XP Home Edition Sp1a for $94.00 with free shipping for those of you that are in the states and might be interested. Not sure if they ship outside the U.S. but they are in Wisconsin. So if they eat enough cheese and drink enough beers, they just might. They have a toll free number listed on the site so it won’t cost you anything to try. Good Luck

Mark

Good guess fish. G’day.
Got your message Sportfish. Yes mate I am from The Beautiful Land of Downunder.Thanyou for the link. I will contact them soon. I will also see what’s available locally. The good news is: I downloaded the latest Ver8 of Netscape and it’s working well so far. May I ask you. What is OEM? Please don’t laugh at my ignorance in the mater.
Thankyou
oldJohn

[QUOTE=redback5]Good guess fish. G’day.
Got your message Sportfish. Yes mate I am from The Beautiful Land of Downunder.Thanyou for the link. I will contact them soon. I will also see what’s available locally. The good news is: I downloaded the latest Ver8 of Netscape and it’s working well so far. May I ask you. What is OEM? Please don’t laugh at my ignorance in the mater.
Thankyou
oldJohn[/QUOTE

Hey old john…

Can’t laugh at a legitimate question, only when someone is stupid enough not to ask. But that’s their problem.:iagree: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. All you get is the disk. No fancy case or packaging. Also no instructions but all the instructions one needs are on the disk. Sometimes with dropdowns or with plain old 1, 2, 3’s here’s how it’s done and away you go. The disk itself is original MS with the Halogram and Key. I’ve purchased several from them over the last 1&1/2 yrs. with no problems at all. Cheapest I’ve EVER found although they have gone up $12.00 since I last bought one. I presume their taking advantage of being one of few that still have it with SP1a on it. I hate that f___ing SP2. Gave me nothing but headaches. But there you have it my friend. No laughs, just honest cheap info. Good luck to ya.

Mark

Hi Redback,
Got this definition straight off the web.

OEM
pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer, which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers – they are the customizers.

I am sure if you wanted to go back to Windows XP home/pro SP1a, you
couldn’t do worse than give E-Bay a try.

Cheers from another Aussie
:slight_smile: :iagree: :bigsmile:

What cam I say. I am overwhelmed with your kind responses and sympathy.
Thankyou all. I really enjoy this site. I never thought there would be such a bunch of highly qualified profesionals, so ready to help others just for the fun and love of doing it.
John

Hey John…

It’s been my pleasure and welcome to the forum.:bigsmile:

Yo-

Like Sportsmell is professional…

He uses +R’s afterall - and that ain’t professional now is it?

Mike

Stay on topic. Go pick on someone else in other forums, kid.

Yo-

He called me “kid”

Thank You Mr B!!!

If only you knew…

Mike