WTF?! When writing a 4.5GB file to HDD, Nero says I need 14GB!

vbimport

I want to write an ISO file to my HDD. After adding some chapter and DVD menu information to a 4.5GB avi, I proceeded to the Burn Options menu. I click “Write to HHD Folder” and get a message telling me that the process will require 14Gb of space. Why would Nero possibly use this much space? How the heck can a 4GB file be inflated to 14GBs??

Please help!

UPDATE: I managed to free up 16GB of space in my HDD, but guess what? Nero now wants 30GB for the same 4.5GB file I’m trying to make an ISO of! Someone please help me!

[quote=darlyn;2149187]I want to write an ISO file to my HDD. After adding some chapter and DVD menu information to a 4.5GB avi, I proceeded to the Burn Options menu. I click “Write to HHD Folder” and get a message telling me that the process will require 14Gb of space. Why would Nero possibly use this much space? How the heck can a 4GB file be inflated to 14GBs??[/quote]It sounds like Nero thinks it’s an XviD/DivX encoding in an .avi container, and is trying to re-encode it to DVD-Video (MPEG2 encoding). That would explain the predicted filesize inflation.

However .avi files can be MPEG2 so you need to download Gspot and let us know what the characteristics of the original are. What did you use to add menu and chapter information to this .avi?

I used Nero Vision’s built-in feature to add the menus and chapters. Also, I mistaking wrote down AVI; I meant WMV.

Here’s what I get in Gspot:

Is there anything I can do?

OK well it looks like NeroVision is certainly trying to re-encode it to DVD-Video. To avoid that, you should just burn the file using the ‘Data’ template of Nero Burning ROM, rather then the ‘DVD-Video’ one.

By data, you mean just dumping my video files intro Nero ROM and creating an ISO? Nero Vision doesn’t give me a “Data” option. shall I just convert this video into MPEG format and try again afterward?

Are you wanting to convert and burn a wmv to DVD with Ner0 vision,of all things?.. Why?..Import wmv in something BETTER like FAVC or ConvertxtoDVD, and choose 4.37 DVD-5 size output…
Besides being a bloatware piece of s**t, it wants to re-encode everything…I got rid of Ner0 many moons ago,and haven’t missed it one bit…But to be fair,to each their own!..

[B]@t0nee1:[/B] this is the Nero forum and a thread about Nero. We should be helping the OP solve the problem with that software. :wink:

[B]@darlyn:[/B] I’m afraid all your terminology is really confusing matters. On which piece of hardware do you want to play this video back: a PC or DVD player? If the latter, what are the permitted playback codecs?

@ imkidd57,yeah you’re right…:cool:

I found a solution!
The problem was that I had previously renamed the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter folder to something else in order to export a project from Windows Movie Maker (Nero codecs conflict with it for some reason.) Forgetful as ever, I neglected to change the DSFilter folder to its original state, and thus, Nero malfunctioned. Restoring the folder seems to have solved my issue. Instead of the 30GB previously required, Nero only asks for 12GB now and the transcoding process after that works as it is supposed to.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2150117]Are you wanting to convert and burn a wmv to DVD with Ner0 vision,of all things?.. Why?..Import wmv in something BETTER like FAVC or ConvertxtoDVD, and choose 4.37 DVD-5 size output…
Besides being a bloatware piece of s**t, it wants to re-encode everything…I got rid of Ner0 many moons ago,and haven’t missed it one bit…But to be fair,to each their own!..[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your advice. I’ve acquired ConvertXtoDVD and I am in the process to creating a DVD menu for my project. I agree with you on Nero; it is bloatware and I rarely utilize more than a fraction of its “features”.