WTF @ MCC02RG20 Video Gard discs!

vbimport

So I burnt one in my LG 4167B @ 8x and as soon as it seems to hit 8x, it becomes unreadable.

Then I burn one in my H22N and DVD decrypter gives me a write retry!? Wtf I have never had this happen before. The underside of the disc has a fat unburnt ring!

My liteon wont even scan the disc, it is unreadable!

All my burns so far on my pioneer are fine though. Should I even bother trying my LH18A1P with these? They are expensive…

Here’s a couple pics:

Any ideas? Do LG drives suck with MCC02RG20 discs???

Seems that the 4167’s 8x Z-CLV zone is broken.
Try burning these at 6x or 4x. :slight_smile:

I think your Litey may do fine as this seems to be a firmware problem.

The 4167B burns only at 4x or 8x. So I am not using it @4x since the quality will most likely reduce. So it look like this drive will be kept away from my verbs hehe.

What about the H22N? It’s burn is unreadable on all drives lol.

I am just scanning a burn with the liteon. Damn the liteon PISSES me off. I selected 8x and one of my programs went spaz (azureus completed a file and just HAD to check the file) so the buffer went to zero and the liteon then stayed at 6x for the rest of the burn like a stubborn donkey!!! Arghhh! lol

So far the quality scan seems alright. So it seems my Pioneer and Liteon are the go with this media :slight_smile:

EDIT: oooh seems the liteon supports 12x naturally with this media. I am using the stock GLOF FW right now since I trust the slower 12x burn. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that 4x will actually don’t reduce in this case :bigsmile:.
Also if 4x would reduce with a good strategy is the question. In most cases it will improve but in quite some cases it doesn’t. You never no untill you tried.

I am just scanning a burn with the liteon. Damn the liteon PISSES me off. I selected 8x and one of my programs went spaz (azureus completed a file and just HAD to check the file) so the buffer went to zero and the liteon then stayed at 6x for the rest of the burn like a stubborn donkey!!! Arghhh! lol

So what you had to waite 3 minutes longer. Don’t see a problem if the quality is still fine. What is 3 minutes on a live ??

EDIT: oooh seems the liteon supports 12x naturally with this media. I am using the stock GLOF FW right now since I trust the slower 12x burn. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you couldn’t waite that minutes incase of 6x then why not go even faster and safe some more minutes of your life :bigsmile:

It’s not about saving minutes of my life, it’s about getting a higher quality result. I see a problem because none of my other drives show these stupid habits like the liteon does.

Jitter increases towards the end if you keep a slow speed with this media and MCC004 also. That’s why I don’t burn 6x and slower. That’s why I don’t want to use the 4167B either @ 4x.

I’m experimenting to see which drive + speed gives the best result. This make any sense to you?

My 4163 is very good with MCC 02RG20 but i can’t speak for newer LG drives. All my quality 8x discs i use for archiving i burn at 4x. I burn good [I]short term[/I] 8x discs at 6x. I know the LG won’t write 6x (on -R) so i use 4 with all 8x discs there since i find there can be [I]issues[/I] when it goes from 6x to 8x. Nothing serious i think but i feel safer with 4x for my LG & 8x discs… Also QS/Jitter etc is nicer :wink:

All that said it sux when a drive just rejects an otherwise fine disc. I’d examine the drive (fw & other issues) or skip using it with those discs… :slight_smile: Most of the time i match drive and disc but i try to keep discs that does well in most drives :wink:

It could be that these discs are slightly different from normal MCC 02RG20 (Video Gard?) and the LGs are allergic to this difference. Similar to the Made in India 8x Verbatims being less compatible than the Taiwanese ones…

My Z-CLV Standalone Pioneer DVD Recorder also turns MCC02RG20 (Prodisc-made) into an absolute disaster, with a similar abrupt increase in errors and jitter levels at the 8x shift. It seems to be getting pickier about the media that works well with it as time goes on, I now only use TYG02 (at 8x) and TYG03 (at 4x) with it, both of which still do very well. If only I could choose its write speed, then I’d be able to get decent results with more media by burning at 4x.

Ah damn looks like 12x in the liteon should be avoided like th plague!

Hmm but why is it possible to do a TRT which does not fail???

TRT in Liteon passes no probs

Don’t know what to believe here. I do know for a fact that the LGs burns are unreadable. Can’t even detect them with my drives.

Not sure what the deal is here…

Well, I burnt another disc in my 111L and it scanned fine, TRT fine, looks fine, works fine. So far the pioneer has burnt 4 out of 4 with very similar results. (Hope I don’t jinx myself or something!) 6x and 8x on the Pioneer both have quite similar results.

Burning with the 4167B again @ 4x just to see if it goes nuts. Scanning the disk as I write. I’m not going to bother with the H22N as it was unreadable @ 8x and 8x writing strategy begins @4x. So burning @ 4x would make no difference.

Here’s the scan of the 4x burn. Amazingly, jitter remains steady and quite low. The PIE here is the only thing worth worrying about. 16x scanning actually makes both the PIE and PIF look better. I’ll definitely keep this disc :iagree: