Wtf Is Wrong With This Liteon?!?!?

vbimport

Dear Everybody,

I just got the LiteOn 16101b 16/10/40 CDRW and it is a piece of shit.

Ever since I got it, i can’t get anything to burn at all. Then I realized that most of the software wasn’t updated for it (ie Adaptec) even though most reviews somehow say that this drive works (IMO they didn’t review the drive).

But I got the most recent CDRWIN which supports this drive and when I burn images it just burns a coaster. It completes successfully but when I try and look at the cd in Explorer it can’t find the disc or it says “Error in F:\ Incorrect Function.”

I even used the Nero that came bundled with the drive (v5.0.4.6) and that even burns the same kind of coasters (successful burn, nothing readable). The CD’s also don’t work on other computers. I’ve tried both TDK and PNY brands of 16x CD-R media and that doesn’ t work.

I upgraded the firmware of the drive from TS0L to TS0T and that still hasn’t fixed anything. About the only that I had managed to get to burn properly was an Audio CD when I first got this drive. But that was just once, and since then it doesn’t work.

I tried changing the drive’s position from secondary slave, secondary master, and primary slave. Still nothing.

So I guess I must be pretty justified in saying this drive is a piece of crap, unless someone else had the same trouble and managed to figure it out, in which case I’d definitely like some help! :slight_smile:

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but it is!

regards,
riz

P3-700 on Abit BE-6 II motherboard
256 MB SDRAM (2x 128Mb)
Primary Master - Maxtor 6Gb
Secondary Master - Pioneer DVD 104s
Secondary Slave - LiteOn 16/10/40
Third Master (UDMA 66 channel) - Western Digital 30Gb ATA66
SB Live! 5.1
Intel Pro/PC 100 NIC
Winfast GeForce 256 32 MB SDRAM

I’ve got a liteon drive,read good reviews about em got the 12102b myself SD2 no probs i heard.Well it’s now sitting in my cupboard cause like yours it’s shite.
Never had so many coasters until i used this drive,it seems to hate any type of media u throw at it.Do yourself a favour an take it out now:(

Dont ask me,i aint all there
:frowning:

Followed camelberry’s advice an installed Nero which came with it and it works a treat.But back to your probs the only other change i made was to uncheck DMA but i would think u have already tried that,if not give it a go.
Good luck:(

Dont ask me,i aint all there

Well I tried the LiteON drive on another friends computer - Dell 933 as Secondary Master and it worked like a charm in CDRWIN. So that makes me think somethings wrong with my computer. Funny thing was, that drive didn’t get recognized in his Dell as Secondary Slave. Looks like a format will tell whether it’s an OS issue or computer issue. Of course, the motherboards on my PC and the DELL are different.

At least I know that the drive is not defective - whether or not it's a pain to use with certain computers still seems to be a problem.

I will let you all know. I will keep you all posted, heh.

regards,
riz

And when you try to put you liteon in master mode?? Maybee that will help

CDRWin will give you nothing but coasters with any drive, if you enter a bad serial number! The program will say that the serial is valid and OK even if it’s not valid, and will give you coasters instead of an “Invalid serial” message as most other programs do.

Pretty smart copy-protection if you ask me…

Um, I used both CDRWIN and the NERO CD that came with the drive - same problem. So I don’t think it’s a copy protection issue. Anyways, my new HD is coming in today so I will be formatting it and installing windows 2000 on it again, so I’ll keep you posted if all this was just a windows issue.

regards,
rizwan

Ok.
I got a new udma 66 drive and this is how i have the set up now;
UDMA 66 Primary Master - WD 40Gb 7200rpm
UDMA 66 Secondary Master - WD 30Gb 72000rpm
Primary Master - Pioneer 104s 10x DVD drive
Secondary Master - LiteOn 16x CDRW drive (16101b) TS0T

Well, with my new setup, roxio’s ezcd creator works awesome. DMS is disabled on the LiteOn. I installed CDRWIN 3.8e and it said that I had no ASPI layer, but when I tried to upgrade it with aspi32.exe from Adaptec, it said there were no Adaptec Host adapters found. SO I eventually found ForceASPI 1.7 which upgrades it regardless of whether or not you have Adaptec. SO the current ASPI version is 4.60 (build 1021).
Anways, CDRWIN STILL DOESN’T WORK! And neither does Nero - both finish burning just as if it were a proper burn but when I try to read the newly burned CD it says “Cannot read Drive F: - Incorrect Function” when burned with CDRWIN, and “Insert disc into F:” when burned with NERO. WIth CDRWIN i tried burning a bin/cue cd copy (which I know works), and with nero I made a Data cd with some files. (I made the same data cd with roxio and it worked)
However Roxio’s Easy CD Creator 5 (version 5.02b) works great. I have no idea what is wrong. I thought maybe my HD’s couldn’t keep up with the LiteON but that’s not the case (if you do the system tests in EZCD5 for drive read speed). Also, I am using PNY’s 16x compatible CD-Rs
Please, does anyone have any suggestions?

regards,
riz

Sell it and get a plex 24x :slight_smile:

Originally posted by riz
[B]Well I tried the LiteON drive on another friends computer - Dell 933 as Secondary Master and it worked like a charm in CDRWIN. So that makes me think somethings wrong with my computer. Funny thing was, that drive didn’t get recognized in his Dell as Secondary Slave. Looks like a format will tell whether it’s an OS issue or computer issue. Of course, the motherboards on my PC and the DELL are different.

At least I know that the drive is not defective - whether or not it's a pain to use with certain computers still seems to be a problem.

riz [/B]

At my work we have lots of Dell computers (Gx1, gx150, gx200, gx300, notebooks, …etc). Some of these were not equipped with cdrom drives, so we bought some at a local store --> lite-on 52x cdrom drives. In every pc they ran like a charm, they wouldn’t run in certain dell systems (gx1 and some others i don’t remember at the time). My guess is that this is a dell problem, lite-on is not the only cdrom that’s not working in dell drives: certain harddrives from Seagate wouldn’t run either.