WSES C1 and C2 error checking

vbimport

Hi Peeps,

Just downloaded WSES, the Lite-On DOS C1 and C2 error checking utility. First of all let me say that until now I was under the impression that C1 errors could not be detected with standard hardware.

In any case I tested 4 known good CDs (that read error free in CD Speed before) and they all get serious C1 and C2 errors, right off the scale past the 10 minute mark and I'm starting to be worried.

I wonder if others have had this experience, if I'm doing something wrong here or whether this is just a software glitch! :frowning:

I have the OC's 40125S (as 48125W VS06) burner as secondary master and I used the program in DOS mode from Windows 98. The utility also detects the LTD-163 DVD-ROM on primary slave but I get errors using it.

Any feedback from fellow users would be greatly appreciated :cool:

I also did lots of scans, since I was impressed by c1-read-capability as well.

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/LiteOn/C1-scans/

In case you can’t read german (btw: nice language to learn…):
nearly all tests were done at 16x-CLV-read speed.

Note that I didn’t use standard scale.

:cool: Nein, hab kein Problem Deutsch zu lesen. Ich kann’s aber nicht so gut schreiben!..

16X CLV reading explains it all! Once I set the reading at 16X I got almost no errors whatsoever. What really bothers me is that they jump dramatically in normal (22-48X) CAV reading mode.

It makes me wonder how accurate can the results be if there is such a wide difference between 16X CLV reading and regular full speed reading, as this doesn’t show as dramatically in CD Speed Scandisk Surface Check.

Any explanations for this?

Nein, hab kein Problem Deutsch zu lesen. Ich kann’s aber nicht so gut schreiben!..
But using short forms which do not exist in “proper german”…

As you can see, Mitsui can be read at 17x-40x CAV very well. 48x-CAV produced only nonsense, especially, there’s a glitch in the c2 graph always at the same position. So simply do not use wses at 48x :stuck_out_tongue:

I also rescanned DST at 40x: There were some more C2 errors, and the c1 peak was somewhat higher (nearly 2900 :frowning: instead of 2700), but not worth a discussion…so I cannot say that I get much higher error rates at 40x than at 16x.

If I find the time, I’ll do all scans again at 40x, but not at the moment: Just today I did a test in english and one in french…and others tests will take place soon…

But maybe the discs you use can’t be read at high speeds due to a too low contrast between pits and lands, so that only low-speed-reading succeeds. Unfortunately, I do not have such “mega crap” to test it. Princo are likely to be such discs.

Maybe VS06 doesn’t work properly. Have you tried VS02 and VS04?

Originally posted by alexnoe
Nein, hab kein Problem Deutsch zu lesen. Ich kann’s aber nicht so gut schreiben!..
But using short forms which do not exist in “proper german”…

hehehe…:cool:

As you can see, Mitsui can be read at 17x-40x CAV very well. 48x-CAV produced only nonsense, especially, there’s a glitch in the c2 graph always at the same position. So simply do not use wses at 48x :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s for sure… And that disk was a Kodak Gold known to have 0 C2 errors in CD Speed as well as CD-R Diagnostic! Guess I will definitely lower the read speed in my next reading tests. More peoplle should get into this and post their results - any webspace to let by any chance? :cool:

Anyway I will check it out a bit more in the next few days. I’d still like to find out where I can get more info on this program… Looks like it’s been leaked from the Lite-ON labs! :cop:

I also rescanned DST at 40x: There were some more C2 errors, and the c1 peak was somewhat higher (nearly 2900 :frowning: instead of 2700), but not worth a discussion…so I cannot say that I get much higher error rates at 40x than at 16x.

Good to know, I will set it to that for my next reads.

If I find the time, I’ll do all scans again at 40x, but not at the moment: Just today I did a test in english and one in french…and others tests will take place soon…

Si tu veux améliorer ton Français, on pourrait causer gravure par message privé… Et tu pourrais me répondre en Allemand :wink:

[B]But maybe the discs you use can’t be read at high speeds due to a too low contrast between pits and lands, so that only low-speed-reading succeeds. Unfortunately, I do not have such “mega crap” to test it. Princo are likely to be such discs.

Maybe VS06 doesn’t work properly. Have you tried VS02 and VS04? [/B]

This is certainly worth investigating further. I will be looking more into it in the next few days, testing all my disks should give interesting results. BTW, any easy way to capture the screen in that proggie?

Anyway I guess I should get back to VS02 as well, seems more people are posting good results using that version compared to VS06…

Bye for now…

BTW, any easy way to capture the screen in that proggie

You have the file st.exe in this package.

call: st <path> <format> [/m-]

e.g.
st c:\wses\images /o:pcx /m-

Everytime you want to take a screen shot you press ctrl-alt-t.

So you should make a boot disc, and put something like
cd wses
st c:\wses\images /o:pcx /m-
wses
on it into autoexec.bat and create a boot cd from that disc (I hate floppy discs. Haven’t used one for more than 4 years)

Write down or memorize the order of your scans, because you can’t name these files created by st…

And that disk was a Kodak Gold known to have 0 C2 errors in CD Speed

I’m still wondering which errors these proggies report with liteon-drives.

But I think the drive reports correctable errors when using readcd, nero tools etc, i.e. E22-errors or even E21-errors (can be corrected by c2-level-ecc), while wses seems to report only E32-errors (uncorrectable for c2-level; need c3-level-ecc; if this is missing, data is lost) as c2-errors! This could explain why readcd reports millions of c2-errors with that dst-disc which only shows a few c2-errors in wses.

Is only theory, but sounds reasonable, if we forget your result @48x

I just cannot get this program to recognise any of the CD or DVD drives in my system. Typing wses in a ‘dos’ window does nothing and wses /n start the program but no drives can be found.

Can this program be run under ‘dos’ on an XP machine ?

Any hints on how to get it to work would be welcomed.

Thanks

Jan

You need to be in clean, pure DOS; not a command prompt window.

Every disc I ran through the test, be it burned, pressed, or whatever, generates a ton of C1 and a few C2 errors at the very beginning (+2.00 seconds) on my LTR-32123S (XS0X), then immediately drops down to a normal level. What gives?!?

judging from the results of various tests, Audio CDs like to be burned at 4x (very, very low C1 count), though results are still acceptable at higher speeds.

I’ve scanned a couple Mitsui Color Thermal (Phthalo), a ton of Taiyo Yuden (Cyanine), and a couple of RiTEK (Cyanine). The C1 count of the RiTEK/TDK is surprisingly low considering that the discs are well over a year old. I have equivalent results coming from both Memorex and Fujifilm TY discs (very low C1 counts), so TY is TY no matter whose brand is on it. :slight_smile: The Mitsui is still in the good range (surprising considering what they’ve been through :eek: ).

Edit:

All reads were done at the full read speed of the drive.

It’s surprising how bad factory-pressed CDs are in comparison.

people can you take this file off the “web” please?

as one of the condition this file was released is that no public downloads should be aviliable…

thx