Wrong firmware in Samsung SN-324F

Hi! Who can help me? I Live in Russia. I downloaded a wrong firmware to my DVD/CDRW combo drive Samsung SN-324F (Samsung V30 norebook). And now even BIOS can’t see it. What to do?

I don’t think that there is any software to recover this drive :frowning:

So, here is one way - I must disconnect FLASH chip from my drive and reprogram it on special equipment, right?

That is possible… some people have recommended badflash.com for this purpose.

You can try using the U200 MMM firmware that The Dangerous Brothers provide: http://tdb.rpc1.org/#SN324F

Thank you for advice.Can I take an official firmware from Samsung site (for my SN-324F slim drive)? Will it work?

I don’t know for sure. If Samsung has posted U200 MMM which your drive originally had, then that would be essentially the same as the one from TDB’s except that it will not be region free.

I don’t want to change region, it is no problem for me. I live in Russia - here is piracy paradise - I can buy any DVD movie (it costs 3$) :wink:

Hi My friends,I have the the same problems like you. I have sn 324f. and downloaded firmware for this and flashed on xp.

Now ,it doesnt seem on bios and also xp. I cant reflash on xp.because it doesnt recognize my combo

Nobody knows the way to rescue my combo???

PLEASE HELP ME,EMERGENCY

Hi, my misery brother! I read many info about our misfortune. And I think we have 2 ways.

First way. There is an adapter to connect a notebook drive to desktop system. After, using something like ‘mtkflash’ (under DOS) or ‘sfdndos’ we can try to download a correct firmware. The cost of that adapter is 15$ (in my city). Why we should use a desktop system? Because I read that notebook disconnects IDE controller if he can’t recognize hardware connected in it. But I’m not sure, may be it’s a delirium? Under pure DOS (on my notebook) I received message: ‘ERR:fail to initial IDE port, please reboot PC!’ (I used mtkflash 1.80). I’m going to buy this adapter, but only 2 weeks later (I have a holidays).

Second way. It is possible to disconnect flash chip from combo and reflash it using special hardware. It costs 50$. But you should open your drive. This is our last hope. Is your combo under warranty?

Aimaim,
Did you try your solution of attaching your SN-324F to a desktop via that $15 adapter to recover your combo drive? Did it work? I flashed my SN-324F in a Gateway M200ARC laptop with the U205COM firmware from SAMSUNGODD.COM, and it is no longer detected by the BIOS. Like you, I tried to MTKFLASH to U200MMM which I think is my original firmware and getting the same error you got - fail to initial IDE port, please reboot PC. Looking for an inexpensive solution. By the way, did you get any help from Samsung on your problem. Thanks.
Andy

I didn’t tried this because I removed FLASH chip (SST 39VF040, 32-pin TSOP pakage, 4 Mbit) from my drive using tiny soldering iron and my patience. I work in a computer center, so we have some hardware that can re-flash my chip. Unfortunately, our hardware (GALEP III) can’t work with these chips. There are some offices in my city (Saint-Petersburg, Russia) where I can recover old firmware. The cost is $10. But I haven’t free time now. I going to visit them next month

I visited our autorized SAMSUNG service center, but I didn’t said WHAT I did. They said: you have to leave your notebook here, because we haven’t CD drives to change. You can take back your PC two weeks later (we must check it). And what about your combo - we will send it to Korea for testing. It will take 3 months. I said: thank you, good bye. As you can see, we have very good service here…

Have you guys tried reinstalling XP? I had a customer with a similar problem and that solved it for me. Also an option, is re-flashing it using an external USB drive. Good luck… JJ

Blah. This morning (a Sunday), I attempted to upgrade the firmware on my SN-324F and immediately ran into the same problem as you folks. My computer (running XP) simply refuses to admit that I actually have this combo drive installed. I called the Samsung help line, and they were very helpful. Well, if you consider telling me that my drive is now a useless paper weight ‘helpful’. Re-installing XP won’t do anything because the issue is in the drive, not the OS. I am going to skip the connecting to a desktop and re-flashing the drive BIOS with an adaptor parts and go straight mechanical on this thing. As soon as I am done posting this, I am going to turn off my laptop and take the drive out. I will then, utilizing a hammer, take out my frustration and aggression on the drive. I shall then order a replacement drive. However, I DID learn a valuable lesson here. I shall never manually update my firmware again. I will forever more use the utility program that does it for me without giving me any chance to screw it up. Blah. I quit.

Try following, it helped me with my SN-324:

Open “regedit”

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values by:

a) Expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it.
b) Expand the “SYSTEM” Key
c) Expand the “CurrentControlSet” Key
d) Expand the “Control” Key
e) Expand the “Class” Key
f) Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

g) High light this key by left clicking once on it

h) On the right hand side you are looking for “Upperfilters” and “Lowerfilters”, once you find these please delete them by high lighting (left clicking on them once) and then right clicking on them and choosing “delete”

1. Restart your computer.

2. Your CD-ROM should be back.

This solution was found on the DELL Forum.

[quote=Ghostman002;1190007]Try following, it helped me with my SN-324:

Open “regedit”

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values by:

a) Expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it.
b) Expand the “SYSTEM” Key
c) Expand the “CurrentControlSet” Key
d) Expand the “Control” Key
e) Expand the “Class” Key
f) Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

g) High light this key by left clicking once on it

h) On the right hand side you are looking for “Upperfilters” and “Lowerfilters”, once you find these please delete them by high lighting (left clicking on them once) and then right clicking on them and choosing “delete”

1. Restart your computer.

2. Your CD-ROM should be back.

This solution was found on the DELL Forum.[/quote]

hi
i tried to do this to fix my sn-324f but when i got into the registry, i could not find the upper and lowerfilters. i clicked to the key you suggested.

Hi and Welcome![quote=zinao;2045367]hi
i tried to do this to fix my sn-324f but when i got into the registry, i could not find the upper and lowerfilters. i clicked to the key you suggested.[/quote]this won’t fix issues with a drive that was flashed with wrong firmware.
If you flashed your drive with a firmware that has different master/slave/CS settings than needed, the only solution would be to install the drive in a desktop computer using an slim to IDE adapter and then to (forced) flash with the correct firmware.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2045647]Hi and Welcome!this won’t fix issues with a drive that was flashed with wrong firmware…Michael[/QUOTE]Agree on that. :iagree:
As this is a MediaTek chipset drive, you just have to reflash with proper firmware. This ofcourse if you know how to do it.
Edit, almost forgot it, upper/lower filters has nothing to do with it IFAIK. :slight_smile:

No need to search for upper filters because they can be mixed, but redbook should be there anyway [although they are “defaulted” by windows].
(Note, I’ve an LG slimdrive though.)
:wink:

The 324 is a tricky one, if you can reflashit to a working order then you are a happy camper.

The good thing with these old drives is, you can flash them in doze (and many old lappys have a diskette slot).
Ofcourse this is also possible with external USB diskette drive, once you got USB doze fuction sorted out.

Create a bootable diskette in XP and add files needed.

BTW, DELL 324F firmware wih doze flasher.