Wrong Drivers for ASUS Optical drive

vbimport

I have an ASUS BC-12B1LT optical drive on my desktop computer. As far as I know, it is the same as the BC-12B1ST except it has Lightscribe support.

About 3 - 4 months ago I was still burning lightscribe labels fine, and I had actually bought a large stack of LS compatible discs.

I haven’t burned any discs in a while, and now I find that I cannot write lightscribe labels the LS System software says “no lightscribe drives found”

After digging through my device manager It seems that my computer has downloaded the driver for BC-12B1ST. Thus everything works fine EXCEPT the lightscribe functionality. I tried deleting and restoring the driver but windows keeps choosing the driver for ST rather than LT.

Asus webpage doesn’t offer a manual driver install either.

Even though LS is being phased out, the functionality is still very important to me, and I would at the very least like to use up the rest of my LS compatible discs I have stocked up. Is there a way to force LS system software or to trick it into accepting my drive as a LS Device even though the wrong drivers are installed?..

or even better, if someone can locate the correct drivers for a manual install that would be great as well.

Howdy. :slight_smile:

Can you take a screenshot of the area in the Device Manager where you think Windows has chosen the wrong driver?

Also, did you update the firmware or anything like that since the last time you used LightScribe?

61.tinypic.com/2efhipt.png

No, I have not updated the firmware or anything of that sort.

I have again removed the device, uninstalled the driver, and reinstalled it, and when the device shows up again it is still the ST model and not LT.

Is it still lightscribe capable with the new device id? You may be able to use the lightscribe software.

Have you tried rolling back the driver? The driver should stilll be in the Windows\system32 folder. If you can find it, you may be able to install it.

That’s the problem. The new device ID is the non lightscribe capable version of what is otherwise the same optical drive.

How would I identify the driver in the system folder? There was no rollback option in the menu (I hope it didn’t get deleted when I used device manager to reinstall the driver). If I knew how to identify the driver file I wouldn’t mind rolling it back manually.

The thing is, the drive ID should never, ever change, and Windows should always use the same!e generic driver for any optical drive made in the past decade plus, which should result in whatever drive ID the drive itself reports being what you see.

I can’t quite get to your screenshot; the Tinypic link isn’t working for me when I copy and paste it.

How is the drive identified in the BIOS?

If the firmware was updated throgh a Windows update, then you should be able to find the update in Installed Updates and uninstall it. Likewise, if it was a driver update by Windows. That is where I would start.

The Microsoft generic driver for cd/dvd/bd drives is cdrom.sys. I don’t know if it has lightscribe capability, but you would still need to change the device id. I have seen folks change the device id before in this forum with specialized software.

You need to know the driver name *.sys to begin looking for and *.inf file in the Windows folder to reinstall the original driver. For instance cdrom.sys is in the Windows\system32\drivers folder and cdrom.inf is in the Windows\ folder. In device manager you point it to the .inf file to install a driver.

[QUOTE=Albert;2729058]The thing is, the drive ID should never, ever change, and Windows should always use the same!e generic driver for any optical drive made in the past decade plus, which should result in whatever drive ID the drive itself reports being what you see.

I can’t quite get to your screenshot; the Tinypic link isn’t working for me when I copy and paste it.

How is the drive identified in the BIOS?[/QUOTE]

Albert, do internal drives automatically update to new firmware like standalone bluray players do when connected to a home network over the internet?

[QUOTE=cpubound;2729064]Albert, do internal drives automatically update to new firmware like standalone bluray players do when connected to a home network over the internet?[/QUOTE]

It’s not supposed to be that way unless you separately install something to check for firmware, but even then, you’re supposed to be prompted about it. I wouldn’t expect Asus to bother making an update checker.

Driver is not firmware.
Optical drives have a standard OS driver!

[QUOTE=chef;2729424]Driver is not firmware.
Optical drives have a standard OS driver![/QUOTE]

The OP believes that Windows updated the driver and in turn changed the device id from BC-121LT to BC-121ST, thereby rendering the lightscribe capability non-functional. He also believes that this happened 2 or 3 months ago, so that a system restore is probably out of the question.

Albert and I agree that the driver is probably the Microsoft generic driver cdrom.sys which has been used for the past decade and could never change the device id, if it was indeed updated during the interim period.

The only other way the device id could have been changed would be through an automatic firmware update published by Asus during the interim period. The OP has no recollection of being prompted to update to new firmware.

Now Asus has dropped all support for the BC-121LT which is exactly the same as the BC-121ST except that it has lightscribe capability.
Can we make a connection here that Asus put through a firmware update so as to continue to support for the BC-121LT, since they are the same anyway. I asked Albert and he thinks not.

In my mind I would not think this to be out of the realm of possibility for a reputable company to do something like that. But that’s just me.

Windows would never change a device id on their own. That narrows the possibllities to a virus of some kind that knows that the two drives are identical or Asus who has all the knowledge needed. I would put my money on Asus. Especially as the OP has said that Lightscribe is being phased out.

http://www.lightscribe.com/

I know what he thinks, but his thoughts are wrong, intentionally.

Might this drive be an LG or Lite-On clone?

^ LiteOn, likely; if so, SUNEXT provides the chipset on this one, not Mediatek.

BC-12B1LT is always a LiteOn iHES212 clone. :slight_smile: And if anybody does have it, firmware dump would be great… :wink:

BC-12B1ST can be LiteOn iHES112, LG CH12NS28/UH12NS29 (BC-12B1ST a) or LG CH12NS30/UH12NS30 (BC-12B1ST b). And firmware dumps of any of these ASUS are wanted really badly, as well as chipset/OPU info of BC-12B1ST a/b (or just info from CH/UH12NS/LS28/29 and CH/UH12NS30) - these drives seems to were never sold in Russia, so I can’t get this info by myself.