Writing with Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A

vbimport

I recently purchased a new DVD/RAM writer, and according to the device manager is shows as TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A which I believe to be Samsung, it has the up-to-date firmware SB02.

It writes to discs as audio from mp3 to disc as an audio CD, but I noticed some strange events recently when playing the resulting burned disc on some stand alone players.

If I play a burned disc no matter what speed I burned at x8 or x16 quite often if I play the CD-R on my older Marantz occasionally it will toil when searching for a track number and will therefore fail, sometimes if I keep trying eventually it will find the track, so I am wondering if it’s the way that this new Samsung is writing the data onto the actual CD-R.

The Marantz CD player is around 15 years old, and one may think it’s because it’s old, but it played my other burned discs fine with my previous CD writer.

One thing I must say is I also have a Sony stand alone CD player which is around 15 years old too, and this searches and plays all discs burned with the new writer, so it could just be a Marantz and Traxdata problem, Traxdata is around 15 years old as well.

The other thing is I have a Traxdata CD standalone recorder, and none of the discs I burn with this new writer will be recognised on the Traxdata, again there was no problem like this with my previous writer, also discs burned buy other people don’t have this problem either whether on the Traxdata or the Marantz.

I was thinking that perhaps it was the way this new writer was burning the data, I end by saying that I use reasonably good brands of media such as Verbatim.

If there is anything I have missed that you need to know please let me know.

So in essence any disc burned with this writer will NOT play on Traxdata stand alone, and any discs burned will occasionally have some search problems when say searching for the last track of a 23 track compilation for example on my Marantz.

Thanks for reading this, and sorry for the lengthy first post on here. :cool:

Hi and Welcome!

I know this problem. I have a JVC UX-T1 that is as “picky” as your Marantz player. There are basically two problem sources:
The player itself - by design, is had not been constructed to handle writeable media like CD-R (these have a lower reflectivity than factory pressed CDs). Sometimes, cleaning the lens does help.

The other problem is the drive you are using and the blank media itself. I personally consider these newer TSST drives as “borderline” if CD quality matters. LG’s GH22LP20/GH22NP20 are slightly better in this aspect, although there are other problems with that drive. At least the CDs written with that drive can be read by my JVC (needs some time to recognise and seek tracks, though), whereas those made by my TSST SH-S203B are only read sometimes. No, this not a recommendation to go and buy the LG :wink:

EDIT: LG GE20NU10/GE20LU10 performs much better. HiSpeed USB connection is required.

The only remaining variable is the blank media. Try Taiyo Yuden (now under JVC brand - look for “Made in Japan” stuff), Ritek and CMC. Ritek and CMC are not what I’d consider as top class stuff, but they are good enough for “short term daily use”.

If your old drive is still in working condition, then get it out of retirement.

Michael

Thank you for your reply.

Funnily enough I had an LG at first, and I am trying to remember what the problem with that one was, but anyway I took it back for a replacement, they didn’t have any more left, so they offered me a Samsung which I took.

I think it may have been a limitation of speeds or something with the LG, or maybe it had a writing problem, I wish I could remember, of course it’s academic now as I say I got the replacement.

I have to say that it writes ok for playback on most players, I just have to live with the fact that it doesn’t burn discs playable on my stand alone recorder any longer, and of course the off search error on the Marantx, but I will say something good for that older Sony that I have, in that when I search for say the last track of a 30 track disc, I can hear it whizz through and find the last track plus any other tracks no problem at all, it seems to have a faster search if you know what I mean, I can’t hear it toil like the Marantz does, and that Marantx has been a good one for many years.

The Sony that works well on all aspects is CDP-497, complete with remote, and I have had this for 15 years at least.

I also have a ghetto blaster old type JVC with 2 tape decks one recordable with radio, it’s a heavy machine to carry with the handle, and I have no problems at all with any CD-R burned with the Samsung writer using the JVC.

:bigsmile:

I burned from some flac files today as audio CD, plays on the Marantz, but had a slight problem finding track 10 of 11 tracks, after a few goes it found it and played.

As for the stand alone Traxdata, well it is not even recognised on that.

The older Sony stand alone (CDP-497) has absolutely no problems with play or search, it seems to find each manual search of track real fast with next to no noise in between.

I recently purchased a Liteon DVD Rom, not writer just the DVD Rom, I was going to go for a new writer and have a new one together with this Samsung one that I currently burn with, but what I may do is purchase a new writer, and have it together with my new DVD Rom, just for the occasional burning on the fly.

I understand what you are saying about those older players perhaps not reading the reflective layer, but I wonder why the Sony players can read them with no problems, and that players is as old as 15 years.

I am annoyed to be honest as when I burn an audio disc for someone else I am always worried if it will play or have searching errors.

I just found out some info from the Samsung website that kind of relates to my OP on here.

[I]“The read/write capacity of the supported discs depends on the condition of the disc
and the recording format of the drive. Therefore, the read/write quality may not be perfect.”
[/I]
Source…

http://www.samsungodd.com/WebManual/DVD-Writer/SH-S222A-TRU/S222A/2/en/spec/spec_1.htm

As already mentioned. There are much drives with much better CD quality that the TSST - and it seems they admit this :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2557626] LG’s GH22LP20/GH22NP20 are slightly better in this aspect, although there are other problems with that drive.
Michael[/QUOTE]
What are those other problems?

What are your thoughts on Liteon writers?

[QUOTE=cherrybox;2560905]What are your thoughts on Liteon writers?[/QUOTE]If you want CD-R quality, then use something else than a Liteon. Perhaps Optiarc, but I have no experience with their latest drives.

Apart from that: Is your computer equipped with Sata connectors that can be used to install a Sata optical drive?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2560987]If you want CD-R quality, then use something else than a Liteon. Perhaps Optiarc, but I have no experience with their latest drives.

Apart from that: Is your computer equipped with Sata connectors that can be used to install a Sata optical drive?

Michael[/QUOTE]

No it’s Pata only, and what is wrong with Lite-on may I ask?

[QUOTE=cherrybox;2561033]No it’s Pata only, and what is wrong with Lite-on may I ask?[/QUOTE]You want a drive that is able to burn audio CDs that are playable in your old players. Liteons can’t do this.

Since your computer does not have Sata ports, you may consider a PCI controller card with Silicon Image 3112 or 3512 chipset. Preferably a model, that comes as non-RAID from factory or a card that has a flashable controller Bios.
This will definetly increase your options.

Michael

I think though as it is only the Traxdata stand alone recorder that does not play them at all, and the odd search problem on the Marantz, every other player seems to play the discs I have burned with the TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A Samsung.

I managed to pick up a new Lite-On for just under £16.00, so perhaps it just may burn discs playable on ALL my players, if it doesn’t then at least I haven’t spent a fortune.

I suppose having 2 writers would help, as one or the other may burn certain discs better than the other.

I was hoping to stick in my new DVD Rom Lite-On, together with the new one I have recently purchased, but it may be an idea to have the 2 writers after all.

I had problems with LG, so it just goes to show that some may just be unlucky when burning discs and find a model that they think is good, when someone else will say different due to them having a certain problem with it.

So in essence I have had various problems with Samsung & LG, and I thought to try Lite-On, but then you are saying these are not good for burning audio discs, but then again when this Lite-On drive comes and I install it, well it may actually burn for all the players I have, I suppose it’s a chance one takes, a bit like the reviews on washing machines, I read really bad reviews about some models I have had absolutely no problems with, but I understand it is only your and others opinion on here, and I thank you for that. :slight_smile:

What were the other problems you mentioned about the LG drive?

Oh sorry, I meant to say that because my system is really old I would not be thinking about upgrading anything inside such as the PCI controller card.

Hi,

I have two older Liteon drives, a SOHR-5239V (CDRW) and a SHM-165P6S (ex Sony DW-G120A) DVDRW. None of these is able to write a CD that is playable on my picky JVC unit.
Perhaps Liteon has learned in the meantime, and you have some more luck with your new drive.

[QUOTE=cherrybox;2561135]
What were the other problems you mentioned about the LG drive?
[/QUOTE]Interface problems. Did not work with various USB/IDE adapters, also had slight issues when connected to the onboard IDE controller (powered by VIA 8237). Now it is connected to a Promise PDC 20579 SATA/IDE PCI controller that had been soldered onto the motherboard by MSI :cool: And here, it works very nice :smiley:

Michael

Thanks Michael,

It was so cheap that I decided to take a chance, and I’m not sure if I should put in in the system together with the current Samsung writer, the 2 of them would be on their separate master channels of course, that should be ok shouldn’t it?

I have my current Samsung DVD-Writer on the [B]Primary IDE Channel [/B]

and I have the DVD Rom on the [B]Secondary IDE Channel[/B] for the DVD -ROM also a Samsung.

Above both as Master Channel, can I ask also does the master jumper need to relate to the channel set up too? what I mean is if a drive is on the master IDE cable, that physical drives jumper must be set to the same, am I right on that?

So if I wanted would it be fine to replace the DVD -ROM only with the new Lite-On with the config above?

One important thing I would add is I have my IDE Promise Controller for the HDD on it’s own, so it doesn’t interfere.

Hi,[QUOTE=cherrybox;2561152]
It was so cheap that I decided to take a chance, and I’m not sure if I should put in in the system together with the current Samsung writer, the 2 of them would be on their separate master channels of course, that should be ok shouldn’t it?[/quote]Why not? Of course you can also connect the Liteon as slave on the same cable as your TSST.

(…)
Above both as Master Channel, can I ask also does the master jumper need to relate to the channel set up too? what I mean is if a drive is on the master IDE cable, that physical drives jumper must be set to the same, am I right on that?
Sorry, this is somewhat confusing me :confused:
I’ll try to explain:
If you want one drive only on each cable, both drives need to be configured as Master and connected to the “Master” connector (the black one) of the cable.
In case you want to have two drives on one cable, then one drive has to be configured as Master and plugged to the (black) “Master” connector of the cable, the other one has to be set as Slave and connected to the grey “Slave” connector.
You don’t need to think about other drives that are attached to the other cable (on the Secondary IDE port).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2561156]
one drive has to be configured as Master and plugged to the (black) “Master” connector of the cable, the other one has to be set as Slave and connected to the grey “Slave” connector.
Michael[/QUOTE]

When you say plugged to the black master connector are you referring to the back of the writer drive itself where there are 3 options Cable select, Slave and Master, and the little jumper? :confused:

I think you must be as the IDE cable has the blue end against the motherboard and the black end of the cable to the writer drive, the blue end I wouldn’t be touching anyway.

Also when you say configure as master is that in the bios, or the little jumper?

Black and grey connectors, can you confirm exactly what they are?

I just noticed this below from here… http://www.computer-adviser.com/how-to-install-dvd-writer.html

[I]On the back of the drive itself look for the device jumpers it will have 3 settings “ master , slave or cable select “ choose cable select, this will make sure the drive works regardless of whether the drive is connected to a master or slave position on the IDE cable.[/I]

So it doesn’t really matter if it’s set to cable select or master?

It also says [I]The primary or first will have the computers primary hard drive connected as the master, the other connection on the cable “ the slave or secondary “ may be free, you can use this[/I]

But my system must be set up differently, please see this image I have provided below.

Does the above relate the same as to how my system is configured as per the image below? [B]image taken from my Nero info Tool.
[/B]

[QUOTE=cherrybox;2561163]Black and grey connectors, can you confirm exactly what they are?[/quote]An UDMA-66 compatible IDE cable has 3 coloured connectors:
Blue --> Motherboard
Grey --> Slave drive (drive jumper set to slave position)
Black --> Master drive (drive jumper set to master position)

I just noticed this below from here… http://www.computer-adviser.com/how-to-install-dvd-writer.html

Simply look into the documentation provided by the drive manufacturer. If it isn’t included, you should find it on the drive manufacturers website.

So it doesn’t really matter if it’s set to cable select or master?
If you want CS, then all drives on that cable need to be set as CS.

Michael

Are you referring to the SCSI Data Connectors?

My IDE cables used for those drives have blue at one end and black at the other, these are the ones with 40 little squares at either end, they don’t have any multi coloured connector.

The blue is in the MB, and the black is in the drive, so apart from that and the jumper setting plus the power and audio cable that’s it as far as I am concerned.

I am confused when you say there are 3 coloured connectors, black, blue and grey, is this not a different type to what I use due to my MB being different?