Writing to DVD-RAM discs

vbimport

Hello all, I have read that DVD-RAM discs are good option for storing files and I have purchased Samsung SH-S203P drive but here is my problem - I have used Nero INCD to copy some files on my Panasonic DVD-RAM disc and it worked great until I have deleted one directory, ejected the drive, then put the disc in again to check if all is good and oopss … all my files were gone.

Then I have started some research on the net and so far I have discovered that INCD is not very reliable in some case and neither is DirectCD and other packet writing programs. So my question is how to record a DVD-RAM disc so I do not have to be afraid the data will be lost again? I have tried burning it like a normal DVD in Nero but even though it gave me burn sucessful message the files were not on the disc when I have looked at it in Total Commander afterwards. So I do not know what to do. Can someone possibly advise?

Thank you very much.

mildante

Nobody? Ok I will try to simplify my question - Can I just burn a DVD-RAM disc the same way I burn DVD-RW? Once a DVD-RAM disc is formatted it cannot be burned?

If anyone can advise - thank you…

Welcome to CDF’s:

Ditch Nero INCD.

If you are running XP have a look here > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/hacDVD-RAMdriversked-panasonic-dvd-ram-device-driver-113829/

If your running Vi$ta then it’s built in to the OS already.

Hello Bob, thank you for the link but I have already tried that Panasonic driver and it does not work very well. I can copy files to DVD-RAM disc but sometimes it happens to lock my drive so that I cannot eject it and I have to reset and also it does not allow me to format the disk to UDF 2.01 which I would like to use.

Would anybody know if I can simply burn the DVD-RAM disc as a session? I do not trust packet writing method.

DVD-RAM discs are like hard drives. You just drag and drop.

What OS are you using?

I am using Win XP Pro SP2. The drive is SATA interface.

So there is no way to burn an unformatted DVD-RAM disc?

[QUOTE=mildante;2014258]I am using Win XP Pro SP2. The drive is SATA interface.

So there is no way to burn an unformatted DVD-RAM disc?[/QUOTE]Using above methods can you open the DVD-RAM disc and drag and drop anything on the disc?

Yes, I can copy files on the DVD-RAM disc and delete them, no problem with that either in UDF InCD or in WinXP FAT32 format.

My point is that it is not very reliable. I do not want to end up that I will be updating my DVD-RAM disc with new files (copying them there) and when I eject the drive it will give me some error and when I put the disc back again all the data will be gone (this already happened to me). That is why I was asking if it is possible to burn a DVD-RAM disc as a session (as a standard DVD-R disc for example).

[QUOTE=mildante;2014272]Yes, I can copy files on the DVD-RAM disc and delete them, no problem with that either in UDF InCD or in WinXP FAT32 format.

My point is that it is not very reliable. I do not want to end up that I will be updating my DVD-RAM disc with new files (copying them there) and when I eject the drive it will give me some error and when I put the disc back again all the data will be gone (this already happened to me). That is why I was asking if it is possible to burn a DVD-RAM disc as a session (as a standard DVD-R disc for example).[/QUOTE]oh i see now. Try www.imgburn.com and see how it goes. It’s free but if you like it donate.

ImgBurn? Ok I will give it a try. But I suppose it is similar to Nero? Do you think it is better?

So it IS possible to burn DVD-RAM disc? I am sorry but that is my main question right now :slight_smile:

[quote=mildante;2014306]ImgBurn? Ok I will give it a try. But I suppose it is similar to Nero? Do you think it is better?

So it IS possible to burn DVD-RAM disc? I am sorry but that is my main question right now :)[/quote]

I have a Pioneer 112 and a Samsung S203B both do dvd-ram discs I have Ridisc 2x & Verbatim 3x ram discs formatted in Fat32. OS WindowsXP Pro SP2.
I use Nero but I dont install InCd if you have that installed remove it or any other packet writing software also right click on dvd drive & turn off windows cd writing. Once the discs are formatted in Fat32 you can drag & drop files or delete files off the discs. I dont have any problems with either make of dvd-ram discs and I use them for backups of my files.
Don`t use Nero to burn to the discs just drag files over also remember these are only 2x 3x writing so wait till the drive light stops flashing before removing disc.

Just a thought if you had windows cd writing turned on when you formatted disc it will not have done a proper format & I would reformat the disc. NOTE: It takes a while to format :slight_smile:

Hi,[quote=Saracen83;2020335]I have a Pioneer 112 and a Samsung S203B both do dvd-ram discs I have Ridisc 2x & Verbatim 3x ram discs formatted in Fat32. OS WindowsXP Pro SP2. (…)[/quote]FAT32 is not well suited for DVD-RAM, since there is a big performance loss and the media might fail prematurely.
Using UDF is the better solution, but on XP and earlier Windows versions, 3rd party software (Panasonic DVD-RAM driver or InCD) is needed.

Michael