Writing to commercially distributed media

Is it possible (perhaps using a modified driver) to control a write laser of a CD or DVD burner to mark a commercially distributed DVD or CD? For example, say I had a 20 year old CD, who knows … let’s say Meatloaf. For whatever reason if I wanted to mark some kind of pattern on that CD is it possible?

I understand CDR and CD-RW media are specially constructed to allow marking by these writers, but I wasn’t certain if that necessary precludes a CD or DVD writer from marking a “regular” store-bought audio CD or DVD.

I realize there may be some software protection preventing the CD/DVD writer from doing it but more curious if it would be possible to write software to control the writer to do so.

Thanks!

Commercially distributed a.k.a. regular store bought CDs and DVDs are not recordable, they were never written/burned but rather pressed, and you cannot write to them regardless of the drive and software used.

I suggest reading theCD Manufacturing article at Wikipedia.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Cool, thanks!

If I understand then, it’s completely impossible - the write laser can’t alter a commercial disc in any fashion? Not even to destroy the disc by uncontrolled marking with the laser?

[quote=i82much;2053812]If I understand then, it’s completely impossible - the write laser can’t alter a commercial disc in any fashion? Not even to destroy the disc by uncontrolled marking with the laser?[/quote] That’s essentially correct.

I could speculate about what would happen if you were to write your own firmware to turn the laser power to maximum and continuously burn the same area - it might degrade the disc in some way, but that is pure speculation.