Writing speed problem

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DW-R56A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A417M. I use Nero 6.6.0.18 to write my DVD-R s. I have been using Maxell 16x DVD-R discs for a long time. I have 3 options for speed; 2x,4x,6x. But my optical drive writes at 2x whatever I choose. Firmware is the latest one. What shall I do to catch up higher speeds?

Does anybody know where I can find the driver update for this model?

Check the drive is running in DMA mode.

@ toysrus,

There is no guarantee that the package of Maxwell Branded Media you purchased last month is exactly the same Media as the package of Maxwell Branded Media you purchased today. Maxwell doesn’t manufacture any Media and subcontracts the manufacture of all Maxwell Branded Media to various Media manufactures and unfortunately some of Media manufactures that manufacture Maxwell Branded Media manufacture problematic poor quality Media and as such there is a wide variance with quality of Maxwell Branded Media.

If you desire consistent quality error free results use known proven quality error free Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media which has an excellent tract history of producing consistent quality error free results.

The “Driver” for your Optical Drive is part of and included in the Windows Operating System. If perchance you are looking a Firmware “Update” for your Laptop Optical Drive you need to contact Sony for a Firmware “Update” for your Sony Vaio VGN-A417M Laptop Optical Drive.

Regards,
bjkg