Writing speed (and QUALITY) on 52246S

vbimport

Is there any data about the correlation between writing speed and cd-r quality (number of C1 and C2 errors, reliability after aging for 1-20 years,…) for burning on a LiteOn-52246S at different speeds? For me, with any speeds of 8x or above, the burning time isn’t an issue. (I just set a countdown timer for however long it will take, push the burn button, do my other work, then pay attention to the cd-burning process again when the timer goes off.)

But what about QUALITY? For archiving of non-regeneratable data, this is the main goal. Is quality (minimum errors, maximum readability and longevity) better at speeds that are low, medium, or high, or is there no consistent difference?

I’m asking this for the 52246 in order to “fix one factor” in the complex interaction between drive, speed, and media. (then there are the other factors, like the reading device, conditions during aging,…)

macMike

P.S. By the way, the media I bought yesterday (my first) were 48x Fuji (made in Japan, assumed to be TY), TDK, and Memorex. And I’ll be burning with a 52246 in an external Firewire box on a Mac with OSX, if any of this makes a difference.

I’m mainly wondering about observational data on speed-and-quality: What have you discovered during your experimening with different speeds?
But there are also interesting questions about the “physical, chemical and mechanical challenges” of high-speed burning, re: the burner and the media. These questions are described by Jerome Hartke (of Media Sciences) in a paper (published in medialine, February 2003) called “High Speed CD-R Risks” at http://www.mscience.com/fastcdr.html

Any comments?

macMike

Taiyo Yuden 48x @ 48x:

There is no direct connection between speed and quality. Some media work better at lower speeds, some work better at higher speeds.
Refer to the media forum (and it’s FAQ)

I hadn’t intended to ask about media (since the 48x was about all that was available at bestBuy and OfficeMax where I shopped, and it’s what I bought), but a quick look ar Hartke’s paper reminds me of what he said about the changes needed for high-speed burning, such as using a thinner dye layer.

On the Media forum, rdgrimes (moderator) said, in response to my newbie questions about speed and quality,

It takes much higher quality media to be burned at high speed, the stamper must be perfectly flat and dye layers equally consistant. These are all qualities that make the disc more “readable” and therefor more stable in the long term.
From what he said, which makes sense, my impression is that since cd-r technology keeps improving and most manufacturers are now focusing on the 48x market, the new-improved media is at the high-speed end, and lower-speed media is generally a little older technology, and generally not as good.

In any case, the question should be broadened from just “low vs medium vs high speeds” using 48x media, to also comparing these qualities with “low vs medium speeds” using medium-speed media (32x, 24x, 16x?) and “low speeds” using low-speed media.

macMike

Some of the new recorders, especially LiteOn, don’t like such “old” media at all.

For example, when burning TDK 12x Reflex media, which was really high quality, in my LiteOn 52x, the error rate is about 1000x times higher, compared to the same disc burned in a writer which likes these discs.

Older discs are not necessarily worse: writeablity (and readablity quite after burning) and durability (readability after exposure to a bad environment) are different things.
Moser Baer discs can be written very well, but one day of sun => :Z