Writing Pauses At High Speed

When burning any audio CD from mp3 files that is long enough to allow the write speed to get up to around 45X, Smart Burn kicks in and pauses the writing process. This usually happens about 90% of the way through the burn. The used read buffer will drop down to around 15% and the record buffer will will drop to around 45%. The writing process pauses for about 5 to 8 seconds then the used read buffer fills back up and writing resumes. This does not happen when I burn shorter CD’s in which the writing speed has not accelerated to 45X. In other words my LiteOn 52X24X52X is limited to 45X.

I am running the latest version of Nero and the latest firmware. Judging by the computer specs posted below, my computer should be fast enough. I have two HD’s. One contains OS and program files only. The other contains only data. I am burning from the data drive. Both drives have been defraged. All drives are DMA enabled. No other applications are running. All unnecessary services have been shut down.

I have been successfully burning at 52X on same brand of CDR’s since installing the burner about a month ago. This problem just began a week ago. It occurs regardless on CDR brand.

Whats going on?

Thanks.

Dell 8200
Win XP Home
512 MB RDRAM
P4 1.8
Hard drives both Maxtor 7,200 RPM
LiteOn 52X24X52X W/ Latest Firmware
Nero v5.5.10.15a

hmm, have u tried a format, update ur mobo drivers etc, checked to see if all the cables are in properly and are not buggered as onetime i had simialr toubles bein faulty ide cables from bein bent too much, did u flash the drive or did it just come witht he latest firmware as sometimes it can just be some crappy driver thats corrupt and wont be replaced so try a format and update all ur drivers to the latest if they arnt already and if still no work try the drive in another pc if u can

Suggest you lower your burn speed to 40x, for a number of reasons. As you are forcing your system to convert MP3 and burn at the same time, the buffer is dropping. Not a problem really, just a limitation. If you convert the files first, it’ll burn as fast as you like.

Thanks for the advice rdgrimes. Thats what I have been doing and it works fine that way. But, this brings up another issue. One would reasonably expect a 52X burner to burn at 52X. One should not have to burn at 40X with a 52X burner. If 40X is the limit at which one can burn CD’s, marketing burners rated at a higher speed appears to some sort of misrepresentation. Maybe the next step will be a 104X burner. Of course it would not work at speeds in excess of 40X, but it would be a marketing coup.

I didn’t say you couldn’t burn at 52x, I said that it appears that you cannot convert MP3 and burn at high speed at the same time on your system. It has nothing to do with the burner.

Sorry Daniel, I can’t read your reply. It’s not in English.

Originally posted by rwinegar
Thanks for the advice rdgrimes. Thats what I have been doing and it works fine that way. But, this brings up another issue. One would reasonably expect a 52X burner to burn at 52X. One should not have to burn at 40X with a 52X burner. If 40X is the limit at which one can burn CD’s, marketing burners rated at a higher speed appears to some sort of misrepresentation. Maybe the next step will be a 104X burner. Of course it would not work at speeds in excess of 40X, but it would be a marketing coup.

i fail to see why it’s the manufacturer’s fault that ur computer isn’t capable of fully utilizing the product. u can in turn claim that u’re not really getting 5.1 sound from ur 5.1 sound card when u have two speakers set up.

Dell computers are POS that’s the reason.

AZImmortal is right, it isn’t the manufacturer of the cdrw’s fault that your computer isn’t able to fully utilize it. I wouldn’t even talk about misrepresentation if the cdrw goes at 45x already. There aren’t any cdrw’s that actually go at the full 52x. You need optimal test-lab conditions for that. If you have a creative 52x cdrom, then you can start talking, cause that’s real trash, reads cd’s at less than 24x.

And anyway, 45x and 52x is not too big a diff, what is that? Like 10 seconds top’s? Well guess what, the time you spent posting here and replying is probably more than the extra time you’re using by burning “only” at 45x.

Thank you skyline for that wonderful disertation. I am sure your evaluation of Dell computers and Creative CD ROM drives was based on some very lenghty, in depth research. Your level of maturity, your extensive vocabulary, and your knowledge of English composition only serve to prove that a large percentage of people posting on these forums can’t read or write and have no idea what they are talking about.

Why are children allowed on these forums?

Whoa, calm down! Seriously, be :cool:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if that opinion doesnt sit with yours, then just dont continue reading it.

But getting on track - If your media is certified for the speed your aiming for, then you have a problem. If its certified for, say, 32X the your lucky to get 40-48X out of them. Smartburn will limit the burning speed if it decides that the media isnt good enough to burn at that speed.

I myself have been quite lucky in the fact that my 24X certified CD-Rs actually burn at 48-49X (never reaching 52X because the very end of the CD isnt reached in any of my burning) and they have VERY low C1 errors (in the range of 10-18) and no C2 errors.

Also, if you actually had a say, 90min CD, then Im sure that the burner would reach that if it was filled to the brim.
But in all seriousness, does the extra 10-20 seconds matter? Youve still got a great burner regardless.

Hi,

rwinegar: as you have WinXP, launch Task Manager and monitor
the CPU usage for Nero while burning (or better: simulating for
not having a coaster :slight_smile: ). If the CPU usage is approaching 100%
while the burning speed is increasing, you may not have enough
processing power with your P4 1.8Ghz, which seems strange to
me unless you activate some filters which could hog the cpu.

Another hint is to see the kernel time graph-pictured in red in
Task Manager. Kernel times should remain low (it depends: some
shall say 10%, others 25%, but should never reach 90%-100%).
Unless you might have a PIO/DMA issue.

Hope this will help.

MiRV