Writing on silver Media

Firstly Admin can you please delete all my other posts as i dont need them anymore and it tells me i am not allowed to delete - thanks for everyones helps btw :D.

The Taiyo Yuden cds im about to purchase: http://www.riverproaudio.co.uk/acatalog/CATALOGUE_HOME_Taiyo_Yuden_CD_R_Media_337.html

They have a silver side - can I still write on these with permanent marker pen? or will this damage them in any way. In this case i’d have to pay £16 more for the white inkjet ones which seems like a waste of money.

Whats the difference between the inkjet white and thermal white: http://www.dsgi.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/cgi-local/pagegen_cdr.pl?U+scstore+tqzt3793ff469746+CDR-BNS-TY+prodtmpl_cdr_taiyo.html

Many Thanks everyone and yes Boskin i may be a pain but im a great perfectionist so my apologies i just want to get it right the first time :smiley:

Originally posted by T-Mess

The Taiyo Yuden cds im about to purchase: http://www.riverproaudio.co.uk/acatalog/CATALOGUE_HOME_Taiyo_Yuden_CD_R_Media_337.html

They have a silver side - can I still write on these with permanent marker pen? or will this damage them in any way.

Many Thanks everyone and yes Boskin i may be a pain but im a great perfectionist.
T-Mess,

TY @ riverproaudio, huh ? At long last ! :wink:

‘Silver side’ is what they call ‘blank(s)’ . Here are 2 such :

Excellent media, isn’t it ?

Yes, you can write on those using permanent marker pen ( that’s what I’d do ) - no damage whatsoever.

Before I forgot, I maybe am still greater perfectionist, lol. So don’t take it to heart, pls !
Cheers ! :smiley:

So is there no point of buying white inkjet TY : http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/80_Minute_Discs.html

Reffer to (near bottom of page){CD 1061} TAIYO YUDEN PRINTABLE 80 MINUTE CDR in packs of 100

These cost £33 for 100 - seems cheap. Fakes?

Thanks alot once again, Boskin aint taken it into heart, just think im better than you, but want your media knowledge :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

just think im better than you
Dream on ! :bigsmile: Dreaming’s harmless.

lol that doesnt mean much to me, so are they fakes. i got an email back from them, they told me they are original TY but are unbranded. what does this mean. if they are ty how can they be undranded or am i missing the point.

Unbranded is just that there are no big letters from a brandname on the disc. Still TY, just ‘OEM’.

I buy the silvers unbranded TY all the time, out of 1500 I had one batch of 100 that was all but useless. Dunno what happened to that, but all in all fine fine media.

so arent all ty discs unbranded coz none of them have any logos/text etc.? so how can u get ty fakes if their oem?

i heard that these ‘blank’ silver media are more sustainable to damage from handling than white inkjet ones. is this true?

on the white inkjet cds, is the top smooth glossy like on tdk and verbatim discs (apart from their silver) or is it like real paper?

as DeKoning! has explained, unbranded means that nobody else has put their brand name on them, such as FujiFilm.

Thx AZImmortal but that answer had already been given to me by DeKoning! (as you pointed out). My questions are different in my previous post, i will repeat:

so arent all ty discs unbranded coz none of them have any logos/text etc.? so how can u get ty fakes if their oem?

i heard that these ‘blank’ silver media are more sustainable to damage from handling than white inkjet ones. is this true?

on the white inkjet cds, is the top smooth glossy like on tdk and verbatim discs (apart from their silver) or is it like real paper?

Most TY are branded - Fuji DVD-R’s are (in some cases) for example TY. Plextor CD-R’s likewise.
TY makes them, and Fuji and Plextor paint their own logo onto them in big shiny lettering.

‘Fakes’ is when it gets really bad - I have never heard of true fake TY, but that would be if a crappy manufacturer coughPrincocough* ‘steals’ the code that we all like to read from the ATIP - which should identify the factory of origin. Imagine a Princo-made fake-TY… ugh!

On my unbranded TY there is not addional layer on top of the laquer (sp?) - where you normally would have a few lines to write on or a brand-name. They are however protected and not at all more sustainable to damage than my other discs. They do stain with fingerprints very quickly though, because it’s such a shiny surface.

Because they are such good TY quality the dye-layer is much less suseptible to damage (and it burns better in the first place), so I would worry more about that than about the top-layer.

although i’ve never bought one myself, i believe printable cds have a matte-like finish.

a tip for the future: simply cutting and pasting the original questions doesn’t make them more understandable.

Originally posted by DeKoning!

‘Fakes’ is when it gets really bad - I have never heard of true fake TY, but that would be if a crappy manufacturer coughPrincocough* ‘steals’ the code that we all like to read from the ATIP - which should identify the factory of origin. Imagine a Princo-made fake-TY… ugh!

I have one of those here :slight_smile: more than one year and still 100%, but still a Princo-made fake TY…

Originally posted by Fallen
I have one of those here :slight_smile: more than one year and still 100%, but still a Princo-made fake TY…

Heh… I have fake HP-TY cds! They say made in Japan,etc, but the ATIP code returns… “Multi Media Machinery and Masters SA”.
Can you say :Z :Z :Z ?
:a

On my unbranded TY there is not addional layer on top of the laquer (sp?) - where you normally would have a few lines to write on or a brand-name. They are however protected and not at all more sustainable to damage than my other discs. They do stain with fingerprints very quickly though, because it’s such a shiny surface.

So it sounds like these bare TYs are missing an extra ‘layer’ of some sort? Wouldn’t these discs, despite being top quality, be less readable more often because of oils and finger prints that easily stick to the top surface? (ie I heard if top or bottom is dirty it can affect readability)

I’m just wondering if it’s worth 10 bucks extra to get a 100 spindle that has that extra ‘printable’ layer on top…

Originally posted by vallybally

So it sounds like these bare TYs are missing an extra ‘layer’ of some sort?

I’m just wondering if it’s worth 10 bucks extra to get a 100 spindle that has that extra ‘printable’ layer on top…
All TY ( variously branded ) I have here are the same.

Well, all depends on how you handle your media. Even the ‘extra’ ( lol ) top layered can be easily harmed.

There are certain CD-RW precautions like e.g.
DO NOT use gasoline, kerosene, benzin…as they damage the recording surface of the disc…
write only on the premarked label side using a soft, felt-tipted pen…and so on,
which should be read and followed, then your discs are save.