Writing Lead-Out Problem with Plextools and Premium

vbimport

I have a Plextor Premium U USB cd-rw drive with the latest firmware installed and am using Plextools v.2.10.

My problem is that in random cases when I am trying to copy a cd, Plextools will stop writing when it reaches the lead-out and then freezes up - resulting in a coaster as the lead-out is not properly burned. The problem only happens periodically - probably 2 out of every 10 discs burned on average and it is strange because I may burn up to 30 cd’s without a problem and then it starts up again without warning. The discs in which the lead-out is written properly have had no noticeable problems whatsoever.

I also ran across this exact same problem with my old Plextor 4824TU USB 2.0 drive and prior versions of Plextools. Further, when I use Nero Burning ROM to burn, I do not have this problem so I know that it is not a problem with the Premium itself.

I am wondering if the problem may be due to the fact that I do not have a System ASPI installed (I’m using XP Home) and only have Nero’s ASPI layer installed - which may explain why I have no problems burning with Nero and periodic problems with Plextools.

Below is information on my system. If the problem is due to the fact that I do not have a System ASPI installed, I realize that I could install either Force Aspi or Adaptec’s latest ASPI layer from their website. This is what Plextor’s website says. However, I have found much conflicting information about installing Adaptec’s ASPI layers - especially due to problems it may have with USB drives and am worried about problems that may result.

Can anyone please provide their thoughts on what may be causing this problem and offer any solutions? I would greatly appreciate any assistance. If there is any other information that I should provide please let me know.

Even though I can burn fine on the Premium with Nero, I would much rather use Plextools for all of my audio extractions/copying if possible in order to realize the full potential of this drive.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Plextor Info Utility V1.21
Copyright © 1999-2003 Plextor SA/NV
23 February 2004

Software Information

Operating system : Windows XP V5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
ASPI (wnaspi32.dll) : n/a
Roxio ASPI (cdral.dll) : n/a
Ahead ASPI (wnaspi32.dll) : Win32 Nero Aspi Library V2.0.1.59 ( not used by PlexTools )

Hardware Information

IDE Interface: 0 ID: - Maximum # Targets : -
Description :
Type :

Port Driver : atapi.sys
Provider :
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
Version : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Date :

ID 0: SAMSUNG SV8004H VQR10

ID 1: Maxtor 6 Y080P0 VYAR4

IDE Interface: 1 ID: - Maximum # Targets : -
Description :
Type :

Port Driver : atapi.sys
Provider :
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
Date :

ID 0: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 V1.30

ID 1: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-140C VA100

USB Interface: 2 ID: - Maximum # Targets : -
Description : USB Mass Storage Device
Type : Universal Serial Bus controllers

Port Driver : USBSTOR.SYS
Provider :
Description : USB Mass Storage Class Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
Date :

ID 0 (I:) PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM V1.05 (S/N:136083) (67.32.3D)
Read speed: 18-40 X CAV
Jumper Settings: n/a
Buffer Underrun Proof disabled

USB Interface: 3 ID: - Maximum # Targets : -
Description :
Type :

Port Driver :
Provider :
Description :
Date :

ID 0: LITE-ON LTR-52246S V6S0D

• Have you AnyDVD installed in Background ?

• The problem afflict only Nero & BlindWrite 5 ?

• I have the same Problem, using Nero and BW5 and afflict not only my Premium but the Pioneer DVD Too !!

• I have removed AnyDVD from Autoexe at windows startup and for now i don’t have the problem but i have test only two Day from the last Freeze.

Sorry for my Bad English (I’m Italian)

CIAO !

Originally posted by GringoTM
[B]- Have you AnyDVD installed in Background ?

• The problem afflict only Nero & BlindWrite 5 ?

• I have the same Problem, using Nero and BW5 and afflict not only my Premium but the Pioneer DVD Too !!

• I have removed AnyDVD from Autoexe at windows startup and for now i don’t have the problem but i have test only two Day from the last Freeze.

Sorry for my Bad English (I’m Italian)

CIAO ! [/B]

Thank you for your response.

I do not have AnyDVD installed on my computer and the problem only occurs with Plextools, NOT Nero.

Thanks,