Writing files from a network storage with Nero 8

Hi to everyone.
Does anyone to know if Nero 8 can safely burn from a network storage?

The question is that I just bought an home network device and I attached it to my 10/100 LAN.
Basically I use to access it trough samba protocol and I’m pretty happy of its overall performance, but I need to ask about this behaviour.
When I first attempt to burn a couple of large files coming from the NAS I see from the log event window that Nero stars caching the files…writing them into my C:\ partition and after the caching procedure has completed the burn process begins. Why…?
Is it something normal or should I investigate Nero’s preferences to find out something more.

Thanks for the help.
Stefano.

P.S.
the verification stage doesn’t seem to be pass… because when it try to access the NAS the buffer level go down and Nero stops. But if I ask to Nero DiscSpeed to do a scan disk the integrity of the files are saved. May be the NAS is to slow compare with the DVD reading speed…I don’t know

It is not a safe idea to burn from a NAS device, because there is a high probability that the data flux to the burner can have some slowing causing too many buffer emptying.

The best option is to copy all data first on a local HDD, and then burn.

However, to be sure that the NAS can send data enough fast to the drive, you can run a simulation test. CD-DVD Speed is good enough for this.

Go to the “Create Disc” tab, check both the options “Burn Image” and “Simulate”, insert a disc on the drive, select the burning speed you like, and finally press the start button.

Don’t worry: the disc will be not written but you will see if the NAS is fast enough to provide data to the burner at the selected speed.

Hi geno888 and thanks for your reply.
I see what you mean…but I have to ask you a couple of things:

first off, when I do such kind of test how do you know which device is working?
I mean, how does Nero DiskSpeed know where to get the data from?

second if my data are made of two files each one large about 2GB, should I use DVD UDF option instead of the usual DVD-ISO? (they are chunks of a split Acronis image, you know…a software to back up the HHD)

Bye,
Stefano.

[QUOTE=stenews;2235103]Hi geno888 and thanks for your reply.
I see what you mean…but I have to ask you a couple of things:[/quote]
You’re welcome :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=stenews;2235103]first off, when I do such kind of test how do you know which device is working?
I mean, how does Nero DiskSpeed know where to get the data from?[/quote]
If you check both the [B]Burn image[/B] and [B]Simulate[/B] options, after pressing the start button, cd-speed will ask you to select an image file to be burned on the disc. The only formats supported by cd-speed are [B].NRG [/B](the nero proprietary image format) and [B].ISO[/B]. So, to run this test you must forcibly use an image file.

[QUOTE=stenews;2235103]second if my data are made of two files each one large about 2GB, should I use DVD UDF option instead of the usual DVD-ISO? (they are chunks of a split Acronis image, you know…a software to back up the HHD)

Bye,
Stefano.[/QUOTE]
This can easily be solved. You can use ImgBurn to create an ISO file and it will automatically select the proper UDF option when creating the ISO :slight_smile:

Hi geno888, I’m just reading your reply…
now, it’s all much more clear in mind but what I have noticed is that the caching option in Nero 8 seems not working as it should be.

I mean, if I try to burn directly from the NAS with that option checked on, Nero fails the verification stage instead when it’s off, of course, all the process is much more slow but and the end everything ends properly…why?
Have you never had such a kind of funny behaviour or it’s me that I’m doing again something wrong?

Thanks for your help,
Stefano.

Actually I don’t use anymore nero for my burnings. Last version I used (about a couple of years ago) was 6.0, but now I use exclusively ImgBurn. So I have no idea where to search in nero preferences to solve this issue :frowning:

I already used ImgBurn to burn data located on another machine connected via network card and it worked flawlessly. Of course, because of currently I don’t have a gigabit card, I was able to burn only at 4x, but it worked without caching reading files directly from the network. And the buffer was always full at 100% with no emptying. With a gigabit connection I’m sure that is possible to burn also faster.

It should be the same also with a NAS.

Just for curiosity, did you try the simulation test with cd-dvd speed?

Just for curiosity, did you try the simulation test with cd-dvd speed?

yes I did it and I had no problem…me too I have a 100Mbps ethernet speed link.
But let me ask you a last question:
forget about Nero for a minute…image that you should burn two single .zip files each one with a size of 2GB.
Which file system you’ll going to use? will you use Joilte mode or not?

Thanks again,
Stefano.

Why don’t you do some experimenting and report how it went.

[QUOTE=stenews;2235862]yes I did it and I had no problem…me too I have a 100Mbps ethernet speed link.
But let me ask you a last question:
forget about Nero for a minute…image that you should burn two single .zip files each one with a size of 2GB.
Which file system you’ll going to use? will you use Joilte mode or not?

Thanks again,
Stefano.[/QUOTE]

I created two ISO files, both of 2 GB size (to be more precise both files are 2,13 GB (2.294.611.968 bytes)).

I ran a test with ImgBurn and selecting ISO9660 + UDF 1.02 (no Joliet) (i.e. the same settings used to burn a regular video DVD) I was able to burn both files on a rewritable DVD :slight_smile:

@geno888

I ran a test…selecting…ISO9660 + UDF 1.02 (no Joliet)…on a rewritable DVD…

Hi geno888…you got exactly what I wanted to know, that’s great man!! :flower:
but let me ask you about the set-up you used: is it the most reasonable to back up large single files?
I mean, what I was trying to do is to copy my splitted Acronis image into several DVD(s).
It’s made of 4 chunks each one no more large than 2GB and I was looking for the best ([I]safe[/I]) way to burn them into a couple of DVD(s) -RW.
Every time I was trying to use the Joliet mode Nero fails its verification stage even if I got the burning process successfully completed.
I was driving mad in understanding why…and finally with no Jolite mode switched on I got everything back to normal!
I’m not so cool in those kind of things that’s why I was looking forward someone that was able to make me understand how and when use an option instead of other one.

Thanks again for your help,
Stefano.

@Bob

Why don’t you do some experimenting and report how it went.

Hi mate and thanks to you too…
I did them…let’s have a look in particular to my last post…
Bye,
Stefano.

If you have problems in burning so large chunks, you can set Acronis to create smaller segments, 1GB for example.

btw, the best option, in my opinion, is to save a single file from Acronis on an external HDD. If you need to create a backup of the Acronis files on a DVD, a simple option is to split the big file with WinRAR. in this way you can add parity data on the archive and if something goes wrong in the disc there is a higher probability that you can recover the Acronis file.

Moreover, restoring the backup from an external HDD is certainly faster than from a DVD :slight_smile:

hi, and sorry for my late…

btw, the best option, in my opinion, is to save a single file from Acronis on an external HDD…

I do that…I want to use the DVD(s) just to have one more way to restore my data in case my HHD fails…do you know want I mean?

…a simple option is to split the big file with WinRAR…

Are you sure about that? I mean Acronis create a tib images and not rar. I don’t think they are compatible in any way each other.

…restoring the backup from an external HDD is certainly faster than from a DVD…

I do agree with you mate!

Thanks a lot for your help.
Bye,
Stefano.

oops, sorry I explained in an unclear way :doh:

What I meant is to create a single large Acronis file, and then use WinRAR to split it into chuncks. Then you can burn chuncks in a couple of more DVDs. When you need to restore the Acronis backup, you can simply unpack the large file in an HDD, and finally use Acronis to restore the baclup.

I know that is a bit complicated way to store a large file, but because of WinRAR allow to insert parity data on the archive, you should have a higher probability to recover your data if some sector of the DVDs become unreadable :slight_smile:

no it was pretty clear yuor previous post…but I have to suppose that you have never used Acronis before

…but because of WinRAR allow to insert parity data on the archive…

Acronis do even better because not only one can use a fixed spilt mode that it’ll fit DVD(s), CD(s) and more but I can leave Acronis sets the best chunk’s size for the destination.

…and then use WinRAR to split it into chuncks…

I don’t think it will be a good idea at all, because one can corupt the tib image, remeber tib is different than rar…

Thanks,
Stefano.

If Nero doesn’t allow you to burn directly without caching, you could use another burning program such as e.g. the free ImgBurn in Build mode.

Telling Acronis to divide the backup archive into chunks is much easier and IMO safer and more flexible than splitting an Acronis image after backup.

I use chunks of 1450 MB myself, which are under 4 GB so they can be stored on a FAT16/32 filesystem, under 2 GB so they can be stored on an ISO 9660 filesystem, and 3 such images can be stored on one DVD.

If your NAS and computer are fast enough, you should be able to burn a DVD at 4x over a 100 Mbit/s Fast Ethernet network without buffer under-runs (maybe 6x but that’s stretching it). A Gigabit network should be able to handle a higher burning speed.

If you’re using wireless LAN, I would forget about burning directly over the network without caching or copying first.

Hi DrageMester thanks for your reply… you finally got me! :flower:

…If Nero doesn’t allow you to burn directly without caching…

no, with Nero I can do both, with or without caching, anyway I will look forward and I’ll have a try ImgBurn as soon.

…is much easier and IMO safer…

that’s exactly what I believe and what I was trying to explain to geno888 in own previous posts!

…which are under 4 GB so they can be stored on a FAT16/32 filesystem, under 2 GB so they can be stored on an ISO 9660 filesystem…

that’s the crucial point! I started this thread just for this answer!! good post mate!
because of I use to back up directly into the NAS via ftp, I personally leave automatic split mode and Acronis makes my chunks no more big than 2GB, due to the ftp architecture limitation. BTW your idea to create chunks even smaller is pretty good as well!

If your NAS and computer are fast enough, you should be able to burn a DVD at 4x over a 100 Mbit/s Fast Ethernet network without buffer under-runs (maybe 6x but that’s stretching it).

again…that’s right for me too!

…If you’re using wireless LAN,…

I have no wireless LAN at all…anyway that’s always good to know that.

P.S.
just a last question mate…how do you use this size 1450 MB? I mean it does not seem to me that one can specify a so small chunk size…

[quote=stenews;2237894]just a last question mate…how do you use this size 1450 MB? I mean it does not seem to me that one can specify a so small chunk size…[/quote] Like this:

You could go even higher (up to ~1494 MB = 4482/3 MB) but I like to keep a bit of space for the Acronis program on the DVD and avoid burning the DVD to the very edge.

Note: If you burn directly to a DVD, this option will be ignored.

Hi mate, I’m really thank for your great help!

Note: If you burn directly to a DVD, this option will be ignored

why…? I didn’t know that I can even “[I]burn directly onto a DVD[/I]”. Can I?
I mean, can I use as target the DVD too, during the back up stage?
Mind that I use to do all the procedures from the rescue CD and not form the stand alone application.

Thanks again.
Stefano.

P.S.
Do you always recommend to disable the Joliet option, when I’m going to burn ISO 9660 CD/DVD to improve the overall compatibility?

[quote=stenews;2237942]why…? I didn’t know that I can even “[I]burn directly onto a DVD[/I]”. Can I?
I mean, can I use as target the DVD too, during the back up stage?[/QUOTE]You can from the Windows interface in Acronis 11, so I imagine you can still do it in Acronis 12.

Mind that I use to do all the procedures from the rescue CD and not form the stand alone application.
I haven’t tried burning backup directly onto DVD from a bootable Acronis CD/DVD, but I think the version booted from a CD/DVD has the same functionality as the Windows program, so I think you should be able to do it.

Do you always recommend to disable the Joliet option, when I’m going to burn ISO 9660 CD/DVD to improve the overall compatibility?
When burning any kind of data DVD, I usually prefer to have a UDF+ISO9669+Joliet format. If you were to use only UDF (the most standard for DVD media) and not ISO9660, you will be able to have files exceding 4 GB in size on the DVD.

I don’t think Acronis lets you choose the filesystem for the DVD, however. Nor does it allow you to pick the burning speed.

When burning any kind of data DVD, I usually prefer to have a UDF+ISO9669+Joliet format

that’s the point…when I use UDF+ISO9669 to burn my two 2GB tib files, everything works fine for me; but with Joliet on those DVD(s) don’t pass the verification…why?

Thanks again…hope you’ll help me because that’s exactly the point.