Writing failed message

vbimport

This problem now appears to be of academic interest only (since I upgraded to version 4.x) but my curiosity is still piqued.

I had one of the later versions of CDclone 3.x running on my LiteOn 32x. Three times in a row I got the following error:

"Writing to CD failed, Harware Error: No additional sense information (4:0x08:0x03)"

I thought my burner had died (it being fairly new) but I was able to burn a cd thru Nero and since have been able to burn one thru CDC4x.

What was causing this error? Was it some problem in CDC3x? Is it like to recur? If so how do I deal with it?

Originally posted by Big Guns

“Writing to CD failed, Harware Error: No additional sense information (4:0x08:0x03)”

Buffer Underrun. A DMA related issue generally.

overhere is a list of available errorcodes. When looking up the above error I find the following:

08h/03h DT R OM BK LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION CRC ERROR (ULTRA-DMA/32)

Is this the correct error? What does the first ‘4’ means in the errorcode?

Originally posted by FutureProof
Buffer Underrun. A DMA related issue generally.

Hmmm, that is odd as the liteon has burnproof or whatever it is called. As to dma it is enabled. In any event I got a good burn when I upgraded to CDC4.

Lets assume that your diagnosis is correct: what would I need to do to avoid such an error again?

Nothing else was running.

System:
PIII 450
512mb sdram
Abit be6 mobo
all ide devices are on the ata33 channel (ata66 does not work properly on the be6)

LiteOn 32 is primary slave. Primary master is maxtor hdd 10gb (Win98se on there).

Pioneer dvd 116 is secondary slave. secondary master is seagate 20gb hdd.

When I burn images they are on the seagate (ie separate ide channel to the liteOn)

Why did I say buffer underrun? I got the very same error when I attempted a SD backup, in Jul 01, on the fly, between an AOpen 48x CD-ROM and a Ricoh MP7163A. The Ricoh was master & the AOpen the slave.

The AOpen 48x is a PIO Mode device while the Ricoh is UDMA (a busmaster, if you like). PIO + UDMA is a non-no. I can tell you that there’s nothing like that combination plus original ASPI layer plus a little stupidity :o to get one’s self onto the path to burning rightousness!

My interpretation of the errorcode that Upp3rd0G has kindly stated is this: “CRC ERROR”…just not enough data getting through, remember that CRC was added in ATA4 for UDMA66; “ULTRA-DMA/32”…intuitively, a DMA issue.

I always watch the POST on bootup, because occasionally, not frequently though, a disk or optical device slips thru as PIO. You can see this in the enumeration window that also shows the RAM. I also check DMA settings in Device Manager as well as the UDMA status of devices off my IDE Controller PCI Card. Every now & then, something’s running in PIO Mode! Most often, the bloody chipset drivers haven’t loaded correctly or there’s been some sort of failure during the final boot process, nearing the desktop, which is where, video, sound and chipset drivers come unstuck.

Did this happen to you? I don’t know. Is the Pioneer 116 a PIO Mode device? I don’t know. I don’t know how many times I checked/ticked DMA for the AOpen, until I realised that it was useless to keep ticking that DMA box! Check the POST when you next boot.

With my Toshi 1402 & ASUS 4012A, I can copy SD2 on the fly. If I ‘force’ the Toshi into PIO Mode (which I can do in the IDE Card settings), then I get a coaster. When you upgraded to v4, did you reboot?

Make a habit of checking the BIOS settings, the POST screen, DMA in Device Manager and UDMA settings on any additional controllers that you may have, occasionally.

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]Why did I say buffer underrun? I got the very same error when I attempted a SD backup, in Jul 01, on the fly, between an AOpen 48x CD-ROM and a Ricoh MP7163A. The Ricoh was master & the AOpen the slave.

The AOpen 48x is a PIO Mode device while the Ricoh is UDMA (a busmaster, if you like). PIO + UDMA is a non-no. I can tell you that there’s nothing like that combination plus original ASPI layer plus a little stupidity :o to get one’s self onto the path to burning rightousness!

My interpretation of the errorcode that Upp3rd0G has kindly stated is this: “CRC ERROR”…just not enough data getting through, remember that CRC was added in ATA4 for UDMA66; “ULTRA-DMA/32”…intuitively, a DMA issue.

I always watch the POST on bootup, because occasionally, not frequently though, a disk or optical device slips thru as PIO. You can see this in the enumeration window that also shows the RAM. I also check DMA settings in Device Manager as well as the UDMA status of devices off my IDE Controller PCI Card. Every now & then, something’s running in PIO Mode! Most often, the bloody chipset drivers haven’t loaded correctly or there’s been some sort of failure during the final boot process, nearing the desktop, which is where, video, sound and chipset drivers come unstuck.

Did this happen to you? I don’t know. Is the Pioneer 116 a PIO Mode device? I don’t know. I don’t know how many times I checked/ticked DMA for the AOpen, until I realised that it was useless to keep ticking that DMA box! Check the POST when you next boot.

With my Toshi 1402 & ASUS 4012A, I can copy SD2 on the fly. If I ‘force’ the Toshi into PIO Mode (which I can do in the IDE Card settings), then I get a coaster. When you upgraded to v4, did you reboot?

Make a habit of checking the BIOS settings, the POST screen, DMA in Device Manager and UDMA settings on any additional controllers that you may have, occasionally. [/B]

Well now that you meantion it I am having problems with the dvdrom. I keep checking the DMA enable box but the tick doesnt remain there. Initially I tried doing it on the fly and it failed (though I am sure that I have successfully done so before). But after that failed I made an image and tried to burn that twice. And got the same error.

The next day I upgraded to CDC4 (of course I had rebooted before hand) and I rebooted after upgrading just in case. So in short I think what you are saying is probably correct.

Short answer would then be: if it happens again reboot and watch the post…

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Big Guns
[B]

Thanks for your help. [/B]
No, thankyou! I need a pat on the head every now and then :wink: