Writing data to a DVD

vbimport

I’m pretty new to DVD writing, considering i’m posting in the newbie forum. I’m a little confused how exactly I would write a buncha’ files onto a blank DVD disc.

~ dem0n

What do you want to write ?

Just files -> Nero
Some movie -> Gotta recompress it to 4.7Gb’s
Mpegs or whatever kind of movies -> Gotta re-encode them

What kind of files in specific?.. Umm, anything you’d find on a desktop… .txt files, .bmp or .jpeg files, .zip files… Things like that.
Another thing, would I need to go out and purchase a new program to write this? Or is there something free out there that I can use?..

Usually when you purchase a retail dvd writer , you will get a bunch of software with it (mostly fit for THAT writer only).

My dvd writer included the Pinnacle Studio and Nero software.

Well, i’ve currently got an Adaptec CD writer, but when I put in a blank DVD disc and tried to write some things on it, it told me that I didn’t have enough room for it… Which is why I searched around for an answer, here.
All I need to know is the basics, if you would be so kind.
In a nutshell, you’re saying I cannot write data onto a DVD without a writing program specifically designed for writing DVD’s?

no try using nero the best program
you dont have to use a software designed for that writer only

I tried the trial version of Nero, and it gave me something about “Auto Insert Notification”…
I clicked “Continue at my own will”, but after that, it only gave me the option to create CD’s, not DVD’s. Anybody know what’s wrong?

Could you give us some specs of your computer system ?

Especially the brand and type of your dvd writer.

I’m on a 1 ghz Pentium III, 128mb of ram and an 80gb harddrive.
I have an Adaptec CD-RW writer, that came with my computer.

The actual name of it is, Adaptec Easy CD Creater 4.

You do know you need a DVD writer to write dvd’s , don’t you ? The name of your software is Adaptec , but Adaptec does not make recording devices , please check in the hardware properties (if you are using Windows) for the brand of your writer.

Man, I gotta give you major props Mr. B. I’d have flipped from the start.:cool:

Um, i’m staring at the main screen of my CD writer right now, it says “Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4”.
Adaptec does make recording devices, you’re obviously mistaken.
What I want to know is, is there some kind of program I can download for free , so I can write data onto a blank DVD disc.
I’m don’t care about movies or DivX or anything like that. I just want to throw a bunch of old files onto a DVD disc because it can hold more information than a CD, and considering I also have the disc’s right here.

Originally posted by dem0n
Um, i’m staring at the main screen of my CD writer right now, it says “Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4”.
Adaptec does make recording devices, you’re obviously mistaken.
What I want to know is, is there some kind of program I can download for free , so I can write data onto a blank DVD disc.
I’m don’t care about movies or DivX or anything like that. I just want to throw a bunch of old files onto a DVD disc because it can hold more information than a CD, and considering I also have the disc’s right here.

AFAIK, Adaptec doesn’t make any writers, only interface cards…

Furthermore, Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 isn’t a CD writer, it’s a program that can be used to write cd’s with. It’s very old and extremely crappy by the way.

In order to write a DATA-DVD you need a couple of things:

1. A PC :wink:
  2. A DVD writer (that’s something different than a CD writer!!!)
  3. DVD writing software

As you say you only want to burn a couple of files, you could use a demo of a certain product. Let’s pick Nero (very popular, good allround burning program). Go to www.ahead.com and download the free trial.

on top of all that’s been said, Easy CD Creator 4 was made before dvd-writers even came out.

btw, u forgot to throw in “blank dvd” into ur list Dee-ehn. we gotta cover all the bases with this one. :bigsmile:

But with Nero trial version it only gave me the option to create CD’s, not DVD’s… Hmmm

Do you even have a DVD writer to begin with? And don’t say Adaptec, 'cause that’s what we call in the business a piece of software.

i’ve currently got an Adaptec CD writer, but when I put in a blank DVD disc

Gentlemen, I do believe this explains everything. Our friend has a plextor CD writer and is trying so very hard to write a DVD w/ it. Ummm… no, that’s not gonna happen.

No, I don’t. Let me lay it out straight for you guys.

I don’t have any kind of DVD writer software at all, the only thing I have is the Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4. That’s it.
I’m trying to figure out what exactly I need to do, to throw a ton of files onto a blank DVD disc.

Stoner, read AZImmortal’s post please. Thanks.

Originally posted by dem0n
[B]No, I don’t. Let me lay it out straight for you guys.

I don’t have any kind of DVD writer software at all, the only thing I have is the Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4. That’s it.
I’m trying to figure out what exactly I need to do, to throw a ton of files onto a blank DVD disc. [/B]

Go to a (web)store, buy a DVD writer, some DVD media, and perhaps some burning program (sometimes comes with the DVD writer)…