Writers are TOO fast?

vbimport

Hi all.
Im running

• Windows 98 se
  • Pentium 3 800 MHz
  • 256 SD Dimm RAM
  • and i have a Liteon LTR 24102B [but thats irrelevant]
As almost all of u know, CD writers are getting faster and faster all the time (i can still remember the 1 days; hmmmm).
Anyway, what i wanna know is how fast a cd writer can my pc allow - ie: how many "x" will be so fast my processor + ram can't get the data to the writer fast enough for a smooth burn.

I remember with my second cdrw, a LG 8x, my old P1 133MHz physically couldn't burn at 8x.

I don’t think writers will get much faster than they are now. 40x seems to be the max, since they already use Z-CLV (only burning at 40x at the end of the CD.

So with a fast and defragmented harddisc or a reliable 40x CDROM (the only one I know is the SCSI Plextor 40TS :p) you should be able to burn at 40x with virtualy “any” PC. Your system has to be good configured, that’s for sure.
But as an example: I burned cd’s @ 12x on the fly with a P1 75Mhz. SCSI off course. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Wannes
But as an example: I burned cd’s @ 12x on the fly with a P1 75Mhz. SCSI off course. :slight_smile:

I remember with my second cdrw, a LG 8x, my old P1 133MHz physically couldn’t burn at 8x.

It must have been something else then (assuming u r right) that i didn’t understand in my early years of CD burning -------> Can’t remember now :slight_smile:

Thing is every througput is usually done via the ide or scsi bus.
And that’s going to be more the limit than the writing speed.

If you copy on the fly , you could have the danger that you got a buffer underrun , just because there was some scratch on the source cd and it had to correct itself for 10 million times before correctly reading it. In the meantime the buffer empties.

But nowadays with the bufferunderrun protections , who cares ? The writer will wait.

You could hook up a Plextor 40 speed writer on a 386 with 5 megs of ram (minimal for windows 95) and start writing. It’ll work.
I doubt that it’s ever gonna reach the 40 speed writing though. The bus isn’t just that good.

I have a Pentium 1 233 MMX , overclocked to 266 (by the core , not the multiplier) and my 12 speed ide plextor burner writes perfect.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
But nowadays with the bufferunderrun protections , who cares ? The writer will wait.

Good point.

I post before a new CDRW made by Oak Technology running at 48xWrite and 24xReWrite.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43113

Theres a link to Oak Technology site in the thread.

And 40x P-CAV are just arund the corner. Just wait for the firmware to come out…