Writer won't write

Since formatting my pc, my writer will not write. It tells me that I need to use a writable device even though it is. I used it for about a year and a half or so with no problems until I formatted the pc. I use Vista. I don’t know what the model of my writer is but a hardware identifier labelled my writer as Philips-BenQ. Someone told me maybe a firmware update. Where do I do this and how do I find out the model without shutting down the pc and removing the drive?

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=kodeblue;2473271]Since formatting my pc, my writer will not write. It tells me that I need to use a writable device even though it is. [/quote]what kind of software are you using? You may try ImgBurn - highly recommended.

Someone told me maybe a firmware update.
No. If the drive did work before you formatted your HDD, then there is no issue that can be cured by a firmware update.
and how do I find out the model without shutting down the pc and removing the drive?
Have a look into device manager. :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2473274]Hi and Welcome!what kind of software are you using? You may try ImgBurn - highly recommended.
No. If the drive did work before you formatted your HDD, then there is no issue that can be cured by a firmware update. Have a look into device manager. :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]
I have tried different software and get the same result. When I go intodevice manager, I see “atapi dvd w dh16w1p ata”. just funny how it doesn’t work after the format.

[QUOTE=kodeblue;2473281]I have tried different software and get the same result. [/quote]Please try ImgBurn and post the log.

When I go intodevice manager, I see “atapi dvd w dh16w1p ata”. just funny how it doesn’t work after the format.
Ok, this is a DVD writer (Probably a Liteon OEM drive).

Michael