Writer SH-S222A prob, works in dos not windows

vbimport

I bought a new samsung dvd writer (SH-S222A) as I thought my old one was dieing.

The new one wont read dvds or play cd audio music. It can read the audio cd tracks (no sound/shows album cover) and will display the dvd disc name (e.g. CIV4 complete etc) but wont open the dvd contents/folder (just hangs in “My Computer”).
I am using a new IDE cable and have updated the firmware and mobo bios. It is also in the correct master position.

I tried booting up my windows disk from dos and it booted and copied the initial setup files. So I assume its a software issue.

I tried the DMA thing and they are activated in the device manager as well as uninstalling the IDE controller.

I have a dual boot system and it happens in both.

any help would be great

Many Thanks

Hi quick update I have managed to get the DVD writer working in XP, its playing audio cds and I tried gta4 and it opened and ran the setup etc.

But still cant get it working in vista64. Tried updating my mobo drivers and uninstalled ide controllers, dvd etc rebooted and its still the same. Any thoughts

cheers

Steve

Hi and Welcome!

this looks as if there were a compatibility issue with the IDE controller you are using. Could you please provide some additional information about that?

Michael

Hi i used discinfo and here is what it said

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.7.0 BETA.12
VENDOR : TSSTcorp
MODEL : CDDVDW SH-S222A
REVISION : SB02
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
TOSHIBA CODE : OEM SB
TOSHIBA MODEL :
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 2
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 40
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 48

As for the IDE info what info do you want.
in the device manager it is has

ATA Channel 0 ultra DMA 5
ATA Channel 0 ultra DMA 5
ATA Channel 0 ultra DMA 4
ATA Channel 1 - nothing listed in advanced settings
ATA Channel 1 ultra DMA 5
ATA Channel 1 - nothing listed in advanced settings
Intel ICH9 serial ATA 1
Intel ICH9 serial ATA 2
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller - atapi.sys, ataport.sys, pciide.sys, pciidex.sys

thanks

Thanks. Seems as if you have a rather new Intel based motherboard, and my crystal ball thinks, your Pata-connection is provided by a 3rd party controller soldered onto the motherboard.

Could you please check your motherboard manual for additional details (Sata and IDE controllers)? Perhaps you need to install a manufacturer driver to enable the controllers full capabilities.

Michael

Hi I looked through the manual and didnt find anything going into depth about the IDE controllers.

My mobo is MSI P35 neo socket 775 quad core

I have updated my mobo and bios aswell as firmware on dvd. The dvd works perfectly in xp64 but not my other OS.

[QUOTE=SteveN25;2449151]Hi I looked through the manual and didnt find anything going into depth about the IDE controllers.

My mobo is MSI P35 neo socket 775 quad core[/quote]According to MSI website:

One Ultra DMA 66/100/133 IDE controller integrated in Marvell® 88SE6111.
Unfortunately, there seem to be no drivers on MSI support website :frowning:

Michael