WriteDVD 10 11 W2 error

vbimport

I know this topic has been around but so far the answers don’t seem satisfactory (bad media, media incompatiblity etc.).

I am using a Sony DRU 710a firmware byx4, clonedvd 2.8.5.1, anydvd 5.4.1.1 and 8x Verbatim -R’s writing at 4x. When I attempt to write using this setup, I get a write error 4-5 minutes into the process. I tried to insert another DVD of the same type and got the same error. When I attempted to burn the same DVD using 1ClickDVD 4.2.1.2 and CopytoDVD 3.0.54 and this media it burns just fine.

I also know that if I use 8x Verbatim +R’s with clonedvd/anydvd it works just fine.

Can someone tell me why the 8x -R’s aren’t working with CloneDVD?

Yo-

Believe that Sonys prefer the +R medias over the -R medias-

Why are you trying to burn at 4x? IMO you should let the burner and its firmware determine the optimal speed-

Mike

I have a Sony DRU800-A. It burns both Verbatim 4X & 8X just fine with AnyDVD & Clone 2. All I use for media is Verbatim -R’s.

Every time I have tried to burn at the fastest speed available I get poor results (pixelated picture, skipping, etc.) Burning at 4x with 8x media always gives me good results.

I will go with you on the Sonys liking +R media but why is it working with 1Click?

I have a Sony 710-UL (external) and I have not had a problem with -R media or +R media - I have used various media codes as well. I also use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, burn at full speed using X8 and X16 media and have as yet had no bad burns, even when checked with Nero CDSpeed. For firmware, I am using Codeguys stock BYX4 with the recommended media tweaks and increased the read speed for +/-R and DL.

What media tweaks are you speaking of? Also you say the “stock” BYX4 by that do you mean unhacked or unaltered?

@ erlewis4x,

Suggest visiting the Lite-On / Sony DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44) for information on the latest firmware for the Lite-On SOHW-1653S DVD Burner. If you are unaware Sony does not manufacture DVD Burners and all Sony DVD Burners are actually manufacture by Lite-On. Sony just re-boxes Lite-On DVD Burners and puts them in Sony boxes. Your Sony DRU710A is actually a Lite-On SHOW-1653S – so as stated above look for the latest Lite-On SOHW-1653S firmware at the Lite-On / Sony DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44). Lite-On firmware is more up to date than Sony firmware and performs better.

Best Regards,
bjkg

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590

Have a look here. As stated by bjkg you can cross flash your Sony Drive to the Lite-On one - I have kept my as the Sony. When you download the program OmniPatcher, you can download different firmwares, and then ‘tweak’ them to suit. There is also an option to apply recommended media tweaks, which changes some write stratagies for some media types to improve burns.

It should also be noted that the Lite-On drive have a ‘learn’ function, which should improve burns on the same media. I have heard some people have problems with this. Flashing the new firmware should reset this.

If you give OmniPatcher a try, let me know how you get on with it. If it doesn’t solve your problem, post in the Lite-On/sony forum, and I am sure on of the members there will give you good advice.

I have this SAME problem and it has to be the burner because no one anywhere can figure it out. Checked all over the web. Mine burnt everything I fed it for over six months (8x+R,8x-R several differnt brands.) One I bought what I thought was 16x+R but was 16-R and it burned the lead in or whatever and hung at 1%, then gave a media write error. Now it will only burn the +R. Every -R I try hangs at 1% and gives the error. What on earth could cause it to work fine for so long then just not burn anything except the +R??? My buddy switched his media for the first time since he bought his burner 6 months ago and tells me at work just today, imagine this, my dvd burner will not recognize any blank dvd media now. He can not recognize let alone burn the -R or the +R. We both have the same exact set up as erlewis4x. (Sony DRU 710a firmware byx4, clonedvd 2.8.5.1, anydvd 5.4.1.1) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Noboby has any answers do they?? :sad: :sad:

No pros on here? :doh: :frowning: :sad:

You have to be kidding!! No one can figure this out??

discircus
Welcome to cdfreaks. Be patient dude! :cool: It’s not tech support here … no one is, like, “on duty”.

People are sleeping, or at work, or living life. Sometimes it takes a day for someone to come back at your post. Someone who knows your answer will pop in … eventually.

Best regards,
Whisperer

@ discircus,

You appear to be a little inpatient.

Quite possibly the below PC World article concerning DVD Burner Firmware will provide information that might prove to be helpful to you.

A large part of your question is already answered for you in posting #7 in this tread if you had bothered to read it in stead of relying on other Forum Members to do your research for you. Suggest viewing posting #7 in this thread concerning Sony DRU-710A and LiteOn SOHW-1653S DVD Burners.

If you done your own research and visited the LiteOn/Sony DVD Forum as suggested in posting #7 you would have found that your Sony DRU- 710A version BYX4 firmware is old and out dated. There is a newer more up to date version BYX5 firmware available.

Suggest visiting the CodeGuys Web Site and look at the Sony Dru-710A Firmware. There is a newer BYX5 Firmware available for the Sony DRU-710A (http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#DRU-710A)

Also there is a new version CSOP Firmware for the SOHW-1653S.

The next time you have a problem I suggest that you take some initiation on your part and use the Forum ‘Search’ function and seek an answerer instead of instantly expecting a Forum Member to do your own research for you. If you had searched the LiteOn/Sony DVD Forum as suggested in posting #7 you would have found at least 5 open/active Forum threads concerning the new version BYX5/CSOP Sony DRU-710A / LiteOn-SOHW firmware.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I had the same problem when making a copy of Star Wars III. Upgrading to AnyDVD 5.5.1.1 seemed to fix it for me.

All, sorry for my VERY impatient posting Please except my apology. :flower:
I was just trying to keep the post on the new post screen so it was infront of different people when they logged on. Alot of times I look at new posts before I go into any other category. Most do not do that here apparently. Again sorry for the haste!

Now, my dilemma is that I have Googled, searched other forums, and talked to people at work and still have no answer for my problem. I have used firmware BY01, BY02, BY03, BYX2, BYX3, BYX4, and the patched version of BYX4 that changes your burn in progress light from green to red. I have used ANYDVD versions,4112, 4301, 4400, 4521, 5431, 5441, 5511. None of which I should have had to do. As we all know if the firmware would burn -R’s before it did not decide that from here on out it will only burn +R’s. AnyDVD versions or CloneDVD versions, which I have also tried a few differnt ones, should have worked when I went back to previously known working versions.

There is no explanation I have found for why, one day my DRU-710A will burn 8x+R, 8x-R and then another day only burn the +R. The only other variable, as I stated in my first post, was that I purchased 16x-R’s and didn’t pay attention that they were not +R’s and therefore were not supported by the DRU-710A. Is it possible that I damaged something with the 16x-R’s. If so why would it still burn +R’s then?

On a side note, I am thinking of buying the BenQ DW1640 and ditching Sony all together. Any help with my Sony issue or recommendations on a new burner would greatly be appreciated. :iagree:

@ discircus,

Please note my comments in posting #7 concerning Sony/Lite-On DVD Burners.

As suggested in posting #14 did you visit the link provided and try the new up to date Lite-On SOHW-1653S CSOP firmware in your Sony Dru-710A? Generally Lite-On firmware is more up to date and provides better performance than the Sony firmware.

Please provide the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: RitekG05) of the DVD Media that you are using. Stating that you are using +R or –R media does not fully identify the actual DVD you using. DVD media retailers do not actually manufacture their own DVD Media but purchase the DVD Media from various DVD Manufacture and then place it in a package and place their name on it. Some times these DVD Manufacture produce acceptable DVD Media and sometimes the media is cheap substandard media. To actually identify the media you are using you need to provide the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: RitekG05) of your DVD Media. To acquire this information suggest using a software utility program similar to DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com) or DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

Best Regards,
bjkg

I have the CSOP firmware and here is a list of my media:
I had the problem after using the 1st media listed here which was the 16x-R.

1. [MCC 03RG20] won’t burn
    ** INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S [FW CS0P]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]
    ** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
    ** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

1. [ProdiscF01] Have burnt at least 150 of these, now won’t burn.** INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S [FW CS0P]
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:ProdiscF01]

Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

1. [FUJIFILM03] Have burnt over 50 of these, now won’t burn.** INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S [FW CS0P]
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:FUJIFILM03]

1. [MXL RG03] Won’t burn.
    ** INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S [FW CS0P]
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:MXL RG03]

1. [RITEK R03 002} The only thing that still works.** INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S [FW CS0P]
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:RITEK-R03-002]

Hope this helps! :confused:

discircus, as you have tried every firmware there is for this drive, can I suggest a probably stupid idea. Have you actually tried a laser lens cleaning disc? A good one is available from SVP.
http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/misc.html

It’s the third item down on this page.

I have found some LITEON burners have a very short life, Some of you will certainly disagree, but I have lost count of the computers I have had to replace LITEON drives that have similar problems to yours. Some of them as little as 150 burns! The warranty replacements have fared little better unless they are out of warranty and have been replaced with SOHW1693 or later. I will not use LITEON burners anymore, I find the NEC drives to be far superior and last a whole lot longer. The lens cleaner seems to be a temporary fix, as I usually find the things go boobs up after a while anyway! :frowning:

@ discircus,

You have been using acceptable DVD Media and have used various firmwares in your Sony Dru-710A/Lite-On SOHW-1653S DVD Burner.

I echo Forum Member voxsmart comments concerning the apparent death of your Sony Dru-710A/Lite-On SOHW-1653S DVD Burner.

BenQ like Sony/LiteOn DVD Burners have some quality control problems. It is rather hit or miss if you get a good reliable DVD Burner that will last a reasonable length of time.

I also echo Forum Member voxsmart comments concerning NEC DVD Burners. I have 3 NEC DVD Burners and with Liggy/Dee (http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/) firmware have found them to be excellent DVD Burners.

Also suggest thinking about getting a good reliable DVD-ROM as your dedicated reader/ripper and a good reliable DVD Burner as you dedicated DVD Burner. Having a dedicated DVD reader/ripper and a dedicated DVD Burner is an efficient way to make back up copies of Commercial DVD Movie Tiles. That way you put less wear and tear on your components, they will last longer, reading/ripping/burning process is more reliable/quicker, and you will get good results with less hassle. I currently use a LiteOn SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROM as my dedicated reader/ripper and a NEC ND-3520A DVD Burner as my dedicated DVD Burner. This combination is fast and reliable and produces excellent results with AnyDVD-CloneDVD.

Best Regards,
bjkg