Write to HD in ISO/UDF or DVD Files?

vbimport

Hello, I want to archive my collection onto my HD, and still want to be able to make backups of just the movie files from those archives if needed. I am not sure which format would be better for this, I have tried DVD Decrypter but WinDVD wont play those files when I used that program, When I used CloneCD and saved then as DVD FIle and chose the DVD+R /DL mode so as to preserver the 1:1 ratio when i go to edit that file it wont allow me to change the size of that file to fit on a 4.7 DVDR. What I would like to do is Have the Movies on my Media Center so I may Watch them and Also be able to Transfer the Movie to a DVD for Travel use on my IPOD or other media device. Please any assistance would be great.

DVD — Lite On 1633 DVDR
Media - Dupesonic 8X DVD+R
AnyDVD, CloneCD, CloneCDmobile

p.s. I plan on getting better media soon.

clonecd won’t let you cut anything out, but clonedvd will(but you will lose the original layerbreak), well at least by chapters or you could use shrink (which is free but not updated anymore).

My Bad I meant CloneDVD and CLoneDVD Moblie :stuck_out_tongue: … CD’s DVD’s there all DISK’s :wink: anyway I am tryin to use AnyDVD to rip the formats onto my HD, that seems to work. but if there is an easier or more effective way please suggest it. Also I wish to retain as much of the original format as I can, with minimal quality loss.

you could use the scissors (clonedvd2) and split the movie onto 2 dvd5 +/-r sl media if you don’t want to compress a movie.

thanks Hobo , but i dont think you are understandin what i want to do. :disagree: I want to put the DVD on to my Harddrive of my media center pc so i cna have my collection on archive, (i dont wnat to fuss with a player for each movie , i want to make a jukebox of sorts) and leave it there permantly, :flower: then if i choose to at a later date backup the movie for ipod , psp use at a later time.

Make ISO’s for that purpose. Less clutter, easier to organize, more flexible IMO.

You can burn ISO’s rather easily or mount them with a virtual drive for playback on mostly any platform.

or drag and drop them on the hdd

Sure, that would work also.

The key point here is the OP intention on making an archive. If he was just looking to backup his collection to blanks, than I would say just use files. However a folder full of folders of files doesn’t seem nearly as intuitive as a folder of individual 4.7GB files, but that’s just me.

agreed.

you can also extract them to files if you need to. it’s really a toss up between using files or ISO, but the fact that an ISO is a single file gives it the afvnatage in my opinion

To add one more point. To minimize the amount of compression, split the DVD across two discs. One disc containing just the movie itself, using a second disc to house all the extras with menu retention for navigation purposes. For archival purposes it works very well, and usually the extra’s disc is small in size.

If you want to ISOs that are exact duplicates of your dvds with exactly the same number or bytes in the ISO file as in the original dvd, use MagicISO. Yes you have to pay for it but it’s the first software package I have found that really does that. CloneDVD and many others will take those 8gigabyte dvds and compress them down to the 4g max but there are always some annoying digital effect. Other software packages come close to Magic ISO but in there are always some differences; for instance, some of them really don’g copy the complete menus so you cannot do chapter searches. I just finished testting more than two dozen packages and I am now wold on MagicISO. I"ve used clonedvd and dvdshrink for years but when you finally use the hard media dvd they burn the really suck when it comes to digital effects.
QUOTE=ArtOfWar;1445732]Hello, I want to archive my collection onto my HD, and still want to be able to make backups of just the movie files from those archives if needed. I am not sure which format would be better for this, I have tried DVD Decrypter but WinDVD wont play those files when I used that program, When I used CloneCD and saved then as DVD FIle and chose the DVD+R /DL mode so as to preserver the 1:1 ratio when i go to edit that file it wont allow me to change the size of that file to fit on a 4.7 DVDR. What I would like to do is Have the Movies on my Media Center so I may Watch them and Also be able to Transfer the Movie to a DVD for Travel use on my IPOD or other media device. Please any assistance would be great.

DVD — Lite On 1633 DVDR

p.s. I plan on getting better media soon.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nmharleyrider;2300693]If you want to ISOs that are exact duplicates of your dvds with exactly the same number or bytes in the ISO file as in the original dvd, use MagicISO. Yes you have to pay for it but it’s the first software package I have found that really does that. CloneDVD and many others will take those 8gigabyte dvds and compress them down to the 4g max but there are always some annoying digital effect. Other software packages come close to Magic ISO but in there are always some differences; for instance, some of them really don’g copy the complete menus so you cannot do chapter searches. I just finished testting more than two dozen packages and I am now wold on MagicISO. I"ve used clonedvd and dvdshrink for years but when you finally use the hard media dvd they burn the really suck when it comes to digital effects.
QUOTE=ArtOfWar;1445732]Hello, I want to archive my collection onto my HD, and still want to be able to make backups of just the movie files from those archives if needed. I am not sure which format would be better for this, I have tried DVD Decrypter but WinDVD wont play those files when I used that program, When I used CloneCD and saved then as DVD FIle and chose the DVD+R /DL mode so as to preserver the 1:1 ratio when i go to edit that file it wont allow me to change the size of that file to fit on a 4.7 DVDR. What I would like to do is Have the Movies on my Media Center so I may Watch them and Also be able to Transfer the Movie to a DVD for Travel use on my IPOD or other media device. Please any assistance would be great.

DVD — Lite On 1633 DVDR

p.s. I plan on getting better media soon.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hey Harley did you happen to notice this is over 3 years old thread…and most likely they decided already. Please don’t rehase way old threads. If you have revelant newere information make a new posting.

sorry about that. didn’t realize there was a time limit on helping people especially when new software packages are popping up every day. I’ll be more alert next time as to the dates.