Write strat for Memorex DVD+RW (RICOHJPN W01) on a benq1640 @ 4x

i would like to know if any 1 has tried/knows of any good write strats on benq 1640 to swap 2.4x strat of a Memorex DVD+RW (RICOHJPN W01) to a 4x strat for burning? thanx for any help.

It’s very unlikely to work because +RW’s phase-change layer has its thermal conductivity optimized for one specific speed. You can try one or more of the 4x strategies, but be ready for unreadable and irreparably damaged +RW media as a result of these trials. If you do, let us know what happened.

P.S. Yes, I’ve tried it myself, on an old Lite-On drive. :cool:

Agree’d with agent009

I have some 1x DVD-RW disc here that work fine in my laptop but when they are burnt in the DW1640 it tried to run them at 2.4x making the disc unreadable.

RW discs are designed for a specific speed or slower, afaik you cannot overspeed them.

ouch, but thanx a lot for the [tech] info, didnt know about it.

I tried using MCSE on the 1640 firmware to swap +RW strategies and it didn’t seem to work at all. Posted in the MCSE thread and the author said +RW strategy swapping wasn’t supported.

Anybody know of a good source for Ritek 8x +RW? I’ve only seen them offered in a 25 pack and from past experience with the 4x, I know I’ll never use that many. They do come in handy for testing though.

Mike

The firmware locks 2.4x media on this speed, so you can not use it at 4x.