Write speed problems

So here’s the deal:

I try to burn a dvd that’s in the compatibility list at 4x. It has been tested and proven to be compatible with 4x.
I choose to make a speed test in nero before the real burning begins and the speed test reports the source data to be too slow to burn at 4x, so it only writes at 2x.

software related: i defragged both c and d drives, and have made space available for an eventual (and unknown to me) temporary file.

hardware related: the dvdrw uses the same ide cable as the hard drive. i think (i’m not terribly sure, but i don’t see myself making that mistake) the cable is connected to ide1 slot on the mainboard. If that is the case, both use dma mode (as i have seen in device manager, primary ide has dma enabled on the two connected drives and secondary ide has dma enabled in the first drive and only pio on the second).

i hope this is not too confusing and that someone can help me.:rolleyes:

Hi,

You should not have your DVD writer and harddrive on the same IDE port in a master/slave configuration. This might - as you mention yourself - be the cause of your problem.

You dont mention your IDE configuration, but you should gor for a solution similar to this:

IDE1 Master: Harddrive
IDE1 Slave: Harddrive

IDE2 Master: Optical
IDE2 Slave: Optical

Guess you have to take the lid of your 'puter and check - dont be so lazy :slight_smile:

You might also be able to check it with Nero’s InfoTool.

Cheers,
Peter

Originally posted by buf

hardware related: the dvdrw uses the same ide cable as the hard drive. i think (i’m not terribly sure, but i don’t see myself making that mistake) the cable is connected to ide1 slot on the mainboard. If that is the case, both use dma mode (as i have seen in device manager, primary ide has dma enabled on the two connected drives and secondary ide has dma enabled in the first drive and only pio on the second).

If I were you, I’d give a thought to jumpering the rewriter as a slave on your secondary IDE channel, no matter whether you have a master on that channel or not. And I’d make sure that it’s connected to the last plug on the IDE cable, not to the one somewhere in the middle.

Are you using 80 pin cables? If you aren’t, this may brake down your drives. The same is true for cables which are longer than 45 cm. Also, check that you have connected the right plug to your mainboard IDE connector. This may also make a difference. For best performance, 80-pin UDMA cables must have the proper orientation.

If your box uses a VIA chipset, consider downloading the VIA IDE mini port Driver from VIA Arena. BTW, on this site there’s a host of useful information on IDE issues, not only related to VIA products.

Regards, Martin

hey Peter (pdu),

first of all, thanks for your help.
second, where’s Marco???
third, here we go.

following your layout, i have:

IDE1 Master: Harddrive (2 partitions, hence c and d)
IDE1 Slave: btc

IDE2 Master: cd-rw samsung
IDE2 Slave: dvd-rom asus

and, yet another problem, short cables!!

so, if i understood you correctly, i have to take out one drive, getting:

IDE1 Slave:

IDE2 Master: cd-rw or dvd-rom
IDE2 Slave: btc

you agree?

or should it be:

IDE1 Slave: dvd-rom or cd-rw

IDE2 Master:
IDE2 Slave: btc (i read something about btc 1004 having to be a slave… true?)

stay with me, please :bow:

ok, so here it is, the end of it all!

hd and dvd-rom on primary ide;
cd-rw and dvd-rw on secondary ide;
ultra dma mode 2 enabled on dvdrw;
i don’t know what an 80 pin cable is, never knew, never needed to know. i’m a super common user. i’m dumb. buy recorder, plug recorder, record. then failure :a ;
used firmware version 040, 043, 045, nero 6.0.0.0, 6.0.0.19, 6.0.0.23, copytodvd, record now max, if you give me a pen thin enough, i’ll write on the freakin’ dvd myself.
i’m about to do the last test. and now i don’t even burn dvds, it fails during simulation.

someone has to put up with me, and it’s gonna be the store guy.
(cause my wife doesn’t give a damn. she only asks why i haven’t traded it already :stuck_out_tongue: )

Hi buf,

I’ll get back to you in the morning. For now it’s time to go to bed.

However, dont give up! There’s always hope :slight_smile:

Peter

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
completely baffled!!!

installed nero 6.0.0.28, had to uninstall it because i had no key.
reinstalled nero 6.0.0.23, did another simulation with speed test.
speed test said transfer rate 20 mb, able to burn at 4x.
simulation at 4x completed successfully.
so i burned the +rw that comes with the burner and… completed successfully, and, after surface scan, no errors.
today, before i left for work (where i am now), burned a dvd video with copytodvd (the program i used only worked with toshiba writers), and… completed successfully, at 4x, readable on my standalones (mustek and lg).

what i think is funny, is that i’ve always been using the same media, SKY, mid: AN31.

did installing nero 6.0.0.23 have any influence on copytodvd or something?
this is completely strange. i can’t decide if i should return it, or if it’s going to be an excelent recorder from now on.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi buf,

I understand you are baffled - but sometimes small changes make all the difference.

I’m quite sure that moving the burner away from primary IDE port (where the HD is attached) solved your speed problem.

Sometimes unstalling an application and reinstalling it afterwards solves many problems. Remember, we are talking Windows here :slight_smile:

I hope/think you will find the next firmware update worth waiting for but in general a few more updates may be needed before the BTC shows it’s real potential (more media support, optimized write strategies for some media blah blah)

I was in the same situation as you - didn’t know if I should swap the drive for something else. However for now I have decided to go with the BTC.

Please remember that Marco has a full time job at BTC and that he might have a hard time keeping up with everything in this forum. You could always send him an e-mail instead of using the forum if you are in a rush for an answer. I did that on several occasions and he never let me down yet.

Cheers,
Peter

i find your faith inspiring.

so, i can understand that moving the drive had it’s effect after installing/uninstalling something (yeah, windows!).
and the fact that there’s a forum to talk trash about btc is also inspiring, cause if btc already knows of our existence (Marco), then they’ll do something, and i (want to) believe we’re gonna have a better than average drive when all problems are solved.
and, the firmware that was promised to this week, is now coming next week… i can endure that too, as long as the burner is working as it should, like it is.
and i called the store, and the guy said something like “don’t tell me it’s not working. it’s a good drive. i have one and it burns everything at 4x, never had a coaster. plays on all dvds. give it some more trys”. i want to believe in him too. i kind of know him, and he isn’t that regular salesperson that only wants to sell, and doesn’t give support when you need it.

so ok. i’ll keep it. harry potter must play fine on all dvds, or else… :bigsmile:

-------------------UPDATE----------------

harry potter did NOT play fine. it starts ok, but the final chapters are horrible. freeze, skip, pixel, etc.
i’m losing money here. don’t care anymore.

what i think is funny, is that i’ve always been using the same media, SKY, mid: AN31

Did you burn Harry Potter on one of these medias? The are of really low quality and probably not well supported in firmware (unoptimized write strategy). Here is a quote from the cdfreaks review of LiteOn LDW-411S

Now this is some really bad discs, and we expected the result to be bad. But the result is not as bad as expected though when we compare the result to other writers. But you should still stay away from these discs.

If you want to use media of low quality you are probably better of with a NEC of Pioneer burner (that’s what I’ve heard anyway). For now the BTC seems only optimized for more expensive media.

By the way, the DRW1004 doesn’t support Harry Potter… ; ) (just kidding)

Marco
BTC Europe Support