Write Speed Problems Sony DW-D22A

vbimport

Hi, I have no idea what i am doing with this burner , I have Nero 6.6.0.0. I have burned a few dvd movies and 2 of them have weird problems like distortion every once in a while during playback. The distortion is caused by burning too high of speed Im sure of that.
I have Kodak + and - dvdr. The + say 4.7 gb 4X recording speed, but nero will only let me select 8X speed for them. When I pop a - in (2X 4.7gb) it goes to 4X recording speed with no other options , do I just have to buy dvds with faster write speeds or is there a way to make nero reconise slower / faster write speeds.
I bought this drive (sony DW-D22A VBYS1) thinking it could do 16X but that is only meant for the dvd+r’s ?

If anyone can help me I would be very grateful, Thanks.

Have you upgraded the firmware of the DW-D22A to the latest version?

No I havent , was looking around and couldnt find any, my friend told me to do the same but neither of us could find it, even if I did find it I have no idea on how to use the firmware update. Im totaly new to dvd burners so thus I am a complete moron with it. Is my burner is listed under a different name or code ?

your drive is a rebadged lite-on have a look in the lite-on forum http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Looked it up , my drive is Liteon SOHW-1633S. I downloaded the firmware , BS0R , used the flash and get an error right away. It reads :
No matched drive detected !
This utility is only for LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633s drive.

Detected Drives :
1-0-1-0 F:SONY DVD RW DW D22A BYS1
2-0-0-0 I:Generic Dvd Rom 1.0

I was looking at this page http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=108364&highlight=dw-d22a+firmware , says its convertible to DRU-710A , should I try using the firmware for that ?

Thanks again

sorry i havent got much time tonite so ill have to be quick. if you read through that thread and maybee post a question there rather than start a new thread, as i think youll have to run the firmware through omni-patcher to enable cross-flashing thats why no drive was detected, sorry i cant be more help tonite.

cheers acko

Thanks alot eh , I’ll post in a bit. If I knew that the drive was made under this “lite-on” I would have posted there earlier , sorry for wasting your time guys.

Thanks again

no need to oppologise your a nebiee and you post in the right place, i just helped you in the right direction.

xmas cheers acko