Write Speed for DVD+R media rated at 16x

vbimport

I recently purchased some blank DVD+R 4.7gb media rated at 16x.

My LG DVD Burner is capable of write speeds up to 24x. But to be safe, should I follow the “half speed” rule of thumb that I’ve seen mentioned here and set the write speed in DVDFab5 Platinum to 8x?

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2128422]I recently purchased some blank DVD+R 4.7gb media rated at 16x.

My LG DVD Burner is capable of write speeds up to 24x. But to be safe, should I follow the “half speed” rule of thumb that I’ve seen mentioned here and set the write speed in DVDFab5 Platinum to 8x?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the brand and actual maker of the discs. I burn 16x media at 12x to start with and then scan to see how they look. Sometimes i burn them at 16x if they scan good enough. Your LG will not do a quality scan though so you can check by running a TRT=Transfer Rate Test using Nero CD-DVD Speed.

I don’t think you can burn at 24x for DVD’s. What burner to you have and can you see what the MID=Media ID is for those blanks you have using Nero CD-DVD Speed? Here is a link to download the newest free Nero CD-DVD Speed > http://cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip in case you don’t already have it.

I have found it’s best to specify a burn speed than to just use Max or Recommended.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2128422]I recently purchased some blank DVD+R 4.7gb media rated at 16x.

My LG DVD Burner is capable of write speeds up to 24x. But to be safe, should I follow the “half speed” rule of thumb that I’ve seen mentioned here and set the write speed in DVDFab5 Platinum to 8x?[/QUOTE]

Yes… unless they are Verbatim then you can push 12x

:eek: Bob we must stop typing at the same time :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2128433]:eek: Bob we must stop typing at the same time :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]lol looks like it Tim :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2128432]Yes… unless they are Verbatim then you can push 12x[/QUOTE]

No, they are not verbatim. I don’t want to mention the brand for fear that I will get some negative responses, LOL.

But this brand is well known and they were quite inexpensive. The shipping almost cost as much as the two 10 packs (with jewel cases) that I ordered.
I have used this brand in the past for CD-R and DVD-RW without any problems.

I do use Verbatim exclusively for DVD+R DL (at 2.4x). I also have some Verbatim DVD+RW rated at 4x. When I burned one at 4x, my stand-alone DVD player took a long time (over a minute) to read the disk and start playing. I then redid it with the burn speed halved. Then my dvd player recognized it immediately just like commercial DVDs.

So I think I will set the write speed to 8x when I get these 16x DVD+Rs.

Edit: The max 24x I mentioned for my DVD burner is actually for CDs. I think the max for DVDs is 18x but I am not positive.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2128459]No, they are not verbatim. I don’t want to mention the brand for fear that I will get some negative responses, LOL.

But this brand is well known and they were quite inexpensive. The shipping almost cost as much as the two 10 packs (with jewel cases) that I ordered.

I do use Verbatim exclusively for DVD+R DL (at 2.4x). I also have some Verbatim DVD+RW rated at 4x. When I burned one at 4x, my stand-alone DVD player took a long time (over a minute) to read the disk and start playing. I then redid it with the burn speed halved. Then my dvd player recognized it immediately just like commercial DVDs.

Edit: The max 24x I mentioned for my DVD burner is actually for CDs. I think the max for DVDs is 18x but I am not positive.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

well known …mmmm…without any problems…mmmm…The shipping almost cost as much as the two 10 packs (with jewel cases)…mmmm… HP comes to mind :smiley:
if so no negative response here :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2128459]No, they are not verbatim. I don’t want to mention the brand for fear that I will get some negative responses, LOL.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]So i went to all that trouble and you know the media is crappy and you never answered my questions :doh:

[QUOTE=Bob;2128431]Depends on the brand and actual maker of the discs. I burn 16x media at 12x to start with and then scan to see how they look. Sometimes i burn them at 16x if they scan good enough. Your LG will not do a quality scan though so you can check by running a TRT=Transfer Rate Test using Nero CD-DVD Speed.

I don’t think you can burn at 24x for DVD’s. What burner to you have and can you see what the MID=Media ID is for those blanks you have using Nero CD-DVD Speed? Here is a link to download the newest free Nero CD-DVD Speed > http://cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_47716.zip in case you don’t already have it.

I have found it’s best to specify a burn speed than to just use Max or Recommended.[/QUOTE]

Bob:

Sorry but I am just not that technical. I do not use Nero (even though it was supplied on a CD with my LG GSA E40L) and am not into doing scans.

Except for the disaster I had in the very beginning with the TDK +R DL 8.5, I have not had any problems with my LG or any media that I have used since. I completely view every DVD I have burned and have not had any coasters.

For SL, I was using Panasonic DVD-R media rated at 8x and used a burn speed of 4x. But I just ran out of them and the price of the Panies went up so I thought I would try another brand. I am sure these +R will work out. I was just concerned about them rated at 16x. When I get them, I will try burning one at 8x and post here if I have any problems.

Thanks.

My GSA E60L produces great quality SL burns at 8X (Verbatim 16X). For DLs, it does better with the Verbatim 8X DLs burned at 6X. 98+% Quality rating from DVDInfoPro. It does not seem to like the 2.4-4X Verbatim DLs as much. My .02.

[QUOTE=signals;2128637]My GSA E60L produces great quality SL burns at 8X (Verbatim 16X). For DLs, it does better with the Verbatim 8X DLs burned at 6X. 98+% Quality rating from DVDInfoPro. It does not seem to like the 2.4-4X Verbatim DLs as much. My .02.[/QUOTE]

What happened with the 2.4-4x Verbatim DL? Did it burn completely and finalize? Was it recognized in your DVD player?

The Verbatim DVD+R DL I get from Amazon.com (MIS) is 2.4-6x. I always get perfect burns at 2.4x with my LG GSA E40L. In the beginning I was using “recommended” but was advised to slow down the burn speed to 2.4x.

I am sure my new DVD+R SL (16x) will burn fine at 8x. As soon as they arrive, I will test one.