Write on TD02?

vbimport

I purchased a stack of TD02s (DVD+R) based on many recommendations on posts on this site. They have a clear lacquer finish on top.

Can I write on them with a Memorex Cd/DVD marker without degrading them?

Thanks,

PeterK

Welcome to the Forum :clap:

Yes, writing on a DVD with a marker such as Sharpiee or CD/DVD marker is a very common practice for DVD’s. You do not need to worry about degradation caused by the marker.

Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply! I should have been more specific. I have been using more consumer-oriented(cheaper?) DVDs for some time (mostly Memorex). I have backed up all my data, photos and family movies on them and put a DVD copy of each in the safe deposit box.

Then I read in these forums that many lower quality DVDs have a much shorter time to failure (data loss) than I had realized. So I purchased some TD02s. But they have no label on one side like I am used to. They are the “Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4.7GB, 8X, Silver Lacquer”.

I imagine your answer is still the same, but wanted to check before I copy all my old DVDs onto the the TDs and write on them.

Follow-up question: Even though these DVDs are rated 8x, Nero offers to write at 12x using my new writer (LG GSA H10A). Should I let it, or force 8x?

Thanks very much for the guidance!

PeterK

Hi PeterK, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Writing on the Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R media (or any other single sided media) with a marker pen is not going to cause degradation. You should only be careful to not write something and put it into a drive before the writing is dry, or you may have ink in interesting places inside your drive.

For future reference, we call Taiyo Yuden media “TY” for short and for your specific media we call them T02 which is short for YUDEN000 T02 which is the media code for those discs.

Writing on the label side of CD-R is another matter, and you need to be much more careful since the data is very close to the top of the CD unlike DVDs where the data is in the middle of the disc.

Thanks DrageMester!

Appreciate the confirm and correction on terms.

Any opinion on writing these disks at 12x or 8x?

I’ve never seen a drive that writes these better at 12x than at 8x, but some drives write them better at 8x than at 12x.

I’m not familiar enough with the LG GSA-H10A to know if 12x is a safe writing speed. Perhaps someone else with that drive can tell you?

If you don’t get any confirmation from someone about 12x writing, I’d write them at the rated 8x speed. The difference is writing time will probably only be about 1 minute for a whole disc.

With 12X you might get a few more PIE’s than writing them at 8X.

I had to look at this thread to see what a TD02 was :wink:

Thanks for all the quick answers! Don’t know where my brain got “TD” from:rolleyes:

I’ve seen reference to PIEs - must be some sort of write error(?). What exactly are they?

I assume since all/many disks have them, they are not fatal? Do they get worse over time?

Thanks,

PeterK

Actually they are low-level read errors at the first (inner) stage of error correction: Parity Inner Errors.

Normally these will be corrected by the drive, but if there are too many PIE it will result in a PI Failure. The next stage (outer) of error correction will then be used. Only if the second stage also fails (a.k.a. Parity Outer Failure) will the drive report an error or try to re-read the problematic sector.

According to the ECMA specifications (there are several equivalent ones for different types of DVD media), there are certain limits to how many PIE and PIF you should have on a DVD when read in a drive calibrated a certain way.

You can read more about such things here:

Home PI/PIF scanning - Who to believe? (article)

Interpreting PI/PO error scans (sticky thread)

Media Testing/Identifying Software (forum)

I assume since all/many disks have them, they are not fatal? Do they get worse over time?
They are usually not fatal. See above. They won’t get better over time, except that the amount of PIE can vary from scan to scan even in the same drive, but how much worse they will get and how quick depends on many factors, and is something that is continuously debated on our forums.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer basic questions.

PeterK

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: