Write media error

I have seen enough bad disks. whats going on with my dvdrw? i have done the ide bustmaster, changed to diffrent media and still having problems. I confess i am a newb but i have read the instructions.

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GCA-4166
firmware 1.08

I have updated using anydvd in combo with clonedvd2 latest updates 6.0.9.0 and 2.9.0.1

I started having problems once i updated clonedvd2 and havent been able to burn a single dvd.

the pc i am using is a hp 7600 mini tower and i have updated i think the latest firmware for the dvdrw

the dvdrom/cdrw
LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4836K
firmware SQK5

they are both running on region 1 rpc-2
Please help

It seems I have a simliar problem. I have been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 for a couple years or more with no problems to speak of. Now all of a sudden I’m getting the infamous “WriteDVD 10 11 W2” error.

Nothing has changed with my workstation, except I have reinstalled the OS. In an attempt to solve this issue, I have only XP SP2 installed, nothing else, except of course AnyDVD and CloneDVD2.

2 x Pioneer DVR-710 - CloneDVD2 sees it as DVR-111D (with latest firmware 1.23)
AnyDVD 6.0.9.2
CloneDVD2 2.9.0.1

For the life of me I can’t figure out what has gone wrong, especially since I am trying to solve this with a fresh install of WinXP SP2.

I have tried reducing write speed to 1x, ect… The drives are relatively new.

Now I am using RiData DVD -R DL media, but I have been using this media for years with great results.

Is it I just have a bad batch of media?

BoomerangThree -

The Pioneer DVR-710 is exactly the same DVD Burner as the Pioneer DVR-111D and the most current up to date Firmware is version 1.29.

At this time and date Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media is the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results.

Suggest acquiring known proven quality Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media and updating your DVD Burner Firmware to version 1.29 and your DL Burners should be corrected.

Also DL+R media is preferred over DL-R media because DL+R media can be Book Type Bit Set to DVD-ROM to improve compatibility with DVD Playback Devices whereas the DL-R media cannot be Book Type Bit Set to DVD-ROM.

I don’t want to get in a lengthily debate but burning Quality DVD Media at excessively low/slow burning speeds causes just as many problems as burning DVD Media a excessively high speeds. Quality DVD Media such as Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media should be able to be burned at close to the Media Rated Speed if the DVD Burner has the most recent current up to date DVD Burner Firmware installed.

BeLooken

BeLooken,

1st, thanks for the response and info. It’s incredible that the media from companies like RiData varies in quality. I guess I have been incredibly lucky in the past. I have many, many backups of DVDs using the RiData DVD -R DL and it must be that I have a inferior batch of disks.

During my testing and burning numerous coasters I have found out that some Matrix DVD +R DL burn ok and I have many RiData coasters, so it has to be the media. In fact as I write this, I’m doing another test to the Matrix media in background and it appears to be going well.

I already have a bookmark to order Verbs, lesson learned…

BoomerangThree -

Your Matrix DVD +R DL Media is most likely manufactured by either YI Jhan Tech Taiwan or Jilin Qingda China both of which is NOT noted for manufacturing anything that could be construed as usable Media. Don’t bother to waste your time with this Media – it’s not worth the effort. Get some string and hang your Matrix DVD +R DL Media on the tree as Christmas Ornaments.

If you desire information on DVD Media that is proven to consistently produce quality error free results suggest visiting the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)

BeLooken

Good idea for tree ornaments, BeLooken :slight_smile:

Just an FYI - I too was having this problem. However, I changed brands of DVD’s 2 times (even though I had no problems with them in the past) with still the same error. On a last ditch effort, I just ordered a new DVD-R Drive. Installed it today and all of the old discs that were giving me errors before are now burning fine. I have a suspicion this error is probably a sign of drive failure.

Just my 2 cents

A new drive can be the answer - but quite possibly not due to drive failure, quite possibly due to new media being used that the dvd burner’s firmware does not have a specific write strategy for. Keep in mind that even though you are using the same brand media, does not mean it is actually the same formulation, needing the same write strategy. It could be a new/different speed, or even a completely different manufacturer sold under the same packaging, etc. If there is no specific write strategy in the firmware, the drive uses its default write strategy, which may not work properly. I have a perfectly good Sony model 510a that is sitting in the garage because Sony can’t be bothered offering an updated firmware - even one that can handle 8x media. It is the last Sony burner that will ever see the inside of my computer. Sometimes it seems like this lack of firmware updating by some drive manufacturers is a sure way to force planned obsolescence - and sales of newer drives to replace drives in need of a firmware update.

I’m having a similar issue… everything had been working fine and then just last night i started getting the “WriteDVD 10 11 W2” error and have gotten that for every disc i have tried to burn since… i’ve redownloaded the latest version of both any dvd and clone dvd and installed, restarted the computer, tried again and still got the error message… the media i’m using is TDK DVD -R which has been working fine for 100+ discs, the drive is new, only about a week old, but has been working fine… so i don’t think it’s the drive or the discs… but i’m at a loss of what else to do… the drive itself is a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S

Please help as i am getting really tired of wasting so much time and having to throw away so many discs :frowning:

thank you so much for your time and help

I fully agree with Forum Member Rich86 above assessment.

Many Members are unaware of the critical relationship between DVD Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) and DVD Burner Firmware.

It is very importance to ensure that the DVD Burner Firmware have the most current up to date Firmware to ensure quality error free Burning results.

Many known “Name Brand” don’t actually manufacture the Media that the market but contract with some manufacture to produce the Media and then just put their recognized known “Name Brand” label on the package. One day the Media is actually manufacture by CMC Magnectics Taiwan and the next day by Moser Baer India. Some times it is acceptable Media and then sometimes the Media it is problematic.

To avoid problems use known proven quality Media and ensure the DVD Burner Firmware is the most current up to date version available and you should consistently produce quality error free results.

Suggest that Members who are having problems consistently producing quality error free Burning results to visit the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) and research the quality of the Media that they are using. Don’t be fooled by assuming that a recognized known “Name Brand” is equated with quality Media.

BeLooken

Well I’m at a loss and have ordered some Verbs to see if it corrects the issue.

I wish I had kept early versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 because I would try to back down a couple versions to see if that’s it.

Bottom line, thanks to everyone is that the comments by Belooken are taken to heart and media, burners, software are finicky.

Daemons –

Welcome to the Forum.

Just because a DVD Burner is brand new out of the box does not mean that it has the most current new up to date Firmware installed.

Not ALL TDK DVD –R Media is the exactly the same and is known proven quality Media. To know exactly what DVD Media you are actually using requires reviewing the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code).

Suggest using a utility software program similar to DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com) or DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) and post the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of your blank DVD Media and DVD Burner Firmware version number and Member will review and advise.

For background information suggest reviewing my recent #10 Forum posting in this thread.

BeLooken

BoomerangThree,

As suggested in my above postings do not overlook up dating your Pioneer DVR-710/DVR-111D to the newest most current up to date Version Number 1.29 DVD Burner Firmware. Current up to date DVD Burner Firmware is a critical important factor in ensuring consistent quality error free Burning results and should not be overlooked.

BeLooken

Belooken,

I immediately updated the firmware after you pointed out to me I didn’t have the latest. Thanks. Still same results with those damn RiData. The Matrix, which you pointed out are crap, work fine.

I will update when I get the Verbs…

thanks for your help… i’ve already checked about updating the driver but i checked again just to make sure… however in checking this i ran across the fact that even though i had changed my region to region 1, it somehow changed back to no region at all… not quite sure how that happened but now i know to check that first and will keep checking it the next few times i try to burn/restart my computer just to make sure it hasn’t defaulted again although i really am at a loss as to how/why it would do that…

i’m just glad it’s fixed, and i thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

Daemons,

What did you do to fix your issue?

for me all it was, was that the drive kept switching back to its default of having no region selected, once i realized this, i selected the correct region and tried to burn another dvd and it worked finally… however now i am perplexed by the fact that the drive defaults to no region every single time after i eject the disc… does anyone know of anything that i might be able to do to fix that? this is the first time i’ve ever had anything like that happen with a drive…

best of luck to you boomerangthree, i’m guessing since your drive isn’t new what fixed mine isn’t an issue with you, however i’d go into device manager to check just in case

(control panel, system, hardware, device manager, then dvd/cd-rom drives, then the specific drive in question, then DVD region)

that’s how i figured out how to get there anyway ;p

make sure to close down (inactive) anydvd before changing your region.
oh and reboot after.

Daemons -

As Forum Member hobo10 points out for your DVD Region Setting to “stick” you must have AnyDVD completely turned off (disabled) before “permanently” setting your DVD Region Setting.

BeLooken

:doh: thank you so much hobo10! that seems to have worked, hopefully it will continue to!

yay now i can stop pulling out my hair over this! (hopefully)

thank you BeLooken and Hobo10 :slight_smile: