Writable Media (DVD-5) Size

vbimport

Under the Common Settings> DVD / Blu-ray> Write option, you can customize the size for compressing a DVD9 to DVD5. This option use to be totally customizable. Now the max size that can be used is 4472 MB? Is there any way this limit can be removed as I use Verbatim DVD5s that can hold up to 4489 MB (4487 MB without warning from Imgburn.) I ask for this to be removed so I may reach the maximum storage capacity of my purchased product. NOTE: Even cheap disc such as Maxell and Memorex can hold up to 4480 give or take a mb…lol… Why the restriction?

Because I believe that when you burn right to the very edge then you will start having problems with the dvd’s, even original copies aren’t burnt right to the very edge

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2459761]Because I believe that when you burn right to the very edge then you will start having problems with the dvd’s[/QUOTE]

Exactly right Jimbo. :iagree:

The tolerance for errors is much less near the edge of the disc and this is even more apparent on lesser media.

You’re only looking at a few megabytes of a difference spread over more than four gigabytes of data.

I actually use 4440.

Visually that’ll make no difference whatsoever to the video but it ensures you don’t get any errors from burning too close to the edge of the disc.

I’ve seen a few posts on the forums here where the error code given was 123 which relates to a burn failure near the edge of the disc.

This is probably why Fengtao has chosen to restrict the limit to a sensible value and it’s the right thing to do IMO.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I use 4400 and it works great everytime.:wink:

I have never had a problem getting errors. And Im sure there are many people who have not had any problem. You could choose what size you wanted? You had an option. If your paranoid about getting errors then choose the smaller size it only makes sense. Besides most dvd write programs such as Nero, Imgburn, etc will warn that your file will not fit the disc if it is too big? But to eliminate or to take away the option is remedial in a world where choice matters dont you think? Im not trying to be rude. I see why some would want to be safe? But you have the option to leave it on the standard setting if it bothers you. To me that is not a justifiable reason to after 5+ years of dev all of a sudden empose a restriction. It really makes no sense when the program can be customized in the first place.

That is very strange that you do not have the option where you can customize the size
I’m using version 6.1.2.5 and have the option to do a customized size on DVD-5 and on
DVD-9. :confused:

[QUOTE=ECSJR;2459942]I have never had a problem getting errors. And Im sure there are many people who have not had any problem. You could choose what size you wanted? You had an option. If your paranoid about getting errors then choose the smaller size it only makes sense. Besides most dvd write programs such as Nero, Imgburn, etc will warn that your file will not fit the disc if it is too big? But to eliminate or to take away the option is remedial in a world where choice matters dont you think? Im not trying to be rude. I see why some would want to be safe? But you have the option to leave it on the standard setting if it bothers you. To me that is not a justifiable reason to after 5+ years of dev all of a sudden empose a restriction. It really makes no sense when the program can be customized in the first place.[/QUOTE]

It prevents users choosing overly optimistic settings that have until now caused problems in the past.

Personally I can’t see any logical reason to override this.

Bear in mind also that DVDs deteriorate over time and that data burnt very near the edges is more prone to failure.

Just because a disc works perfectly after it has been burnt doesn’t mean it will do so in six months or a years time.

What benefit are you hoping to gain by overriding the limit?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Honestly I do not buy into these errors. (Although I do believe if you do not care for the media then what you say is true.) If you have good media, a good drive and do not leave your dvds lying around on the floor or in direct sun light from a window or any other hazardous treatment then you will be fine. I have over 500+ purchased DVDs and over 600+ Backups. Some I have watched 4-5 times and have had for over 6 years. My point is if you take care of your item you will be fine. Even burning to the edge of disc. I even have dreamcast games on CD from 8 years ago that needed to be overwritten and still read fine today. And those babies have gotten a lot of play. All Im am asking is where to post to get this limitation removed? I mean the default can remain at 4300 or 4400… Thats fine but for those of us who would like to use the maximum amount of data on a DVD is it fair that we get cut out of the picture on a product that we have invested in, some of us have invested in for years… Yes you can customize but only up to 4472 mb… I have all my prior rips backed up at 4486 mb. Yes I know a small difference but I think the limitation was placed wrongfully. When instead you could just program a warning for those that use the DVDFab burning engine (who does? with imgburn, nero, toast, etc available) All these programs do warn of overwritting data. Truthfully I believe it simply makes no sense when programming a warning could be the alternative option instead of restricting and emposing a limitation.

[QUOTE=ECSJR;2459990] I have all my prior rips backed up at 4486 mb.[/QUOTE]

Okay I see what you mean now 4472 is the limit on v6xxxxx of DVDFab I guess
the only work around that I can think of is to use v5xxxx of DVDFab to burn with
as it will let you set it to 4486 with no complaints at all. :bigsmile:

@ECSJR

I do see your point on what you say and also agree the user should have the option as before, however I personally use 4472 with great results…

The setting you want to use(4487) is only a difference of 15 MB, and if you check the comparison of the Quality % rate the increase of 15 MB will not even change the % of Quality by 1%, and in terms of picture Quality that alone is unnoticeable by the naked eye.

Tis only my .02 cents :bigsmile:

[B]SJ[/B]

Everyone here has valid points and Im glad this can be discussed. Truthfully the previous version 6.0.7.0 allowed for full customization on the writable media index so I guess I will just have to stay on that release. I also keep a version of DVDFab 5 on my system as well (sometimes is just works better). My only goal here is to bring it to the attention of the developer that if its not broke dont fix it I guess. I appreciate the talks here tho. Hopefully this thread will be read by someone that has the power to correct this. Overall nothing negative to say toward the program or its devs. Its truly one of the more stable and often updated programs out there. Ill just wait to see if in the next update this restriction gets removed as it isnt necessary when the default size can be forced at 4300 or 4400 and then we should be able to customize our own preference individually if we want as it has always been with DVDFab. I just dont get that after 5 years of dev (I have been a customer for 3 years) why they would up and change this feature when really it was fine as it use to be.

[QUOTE=ECSJR;2460056]Everyone here has valid points and Im glad this can be discussed. Truthfully the previous version 6.0.7.0 allowed for full customization on the writable media index so I guess I will just have to stay on that release. I also keep a version of DVDFab 5 on my system as well (sometimes is just works better). My only goal here is to bring it to the attention of the developer that if its not broke dont fix it I guess. I appreciate the talks here tho. Hopefully this thread will be read by someone that has the power to correct this. Overall nothing negative to say toward the program or its devs. Its truly one of the more stable and often updated programs out there. Ill just wait to see if in the next update this restriction gets removed as it isnt necessary when the default size can be forced at 4300 or 4400 and then we should be able to customize our own preference individually if we want as it has always been with DVDFab. I just dont get that after 5 years of dev (I have been a customer for 3 years) why they would up and change this feature when really it was fine as it use to be.[/QUOTE]

Hi ECSJR

I have pointed this thread to Fengtao and I’m sure he will look into this matter, so we shell see what happens :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2460057]Hi ECSJR

I have pointed this thread to Fengtao and I’m sure he will look into this matter, so we shell see what happens :wink:

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks StormJumper. Seriously. You all have been key in this discussion. Keep up the progressive work Fengtao.

If Fengtao has introduced this limit as a result of the problems experienced by users then that is ‘the fix’ for those problems and he’s extremely unlikely to want to change that.

I can appreciate the psychological urge to fill your disc beyond accepted limits but ultimately, regardless of your reasons for wanting to, the fact of the matter is that there’s no practical or discernable benefit in doing so.

Regardless though, ‘Because I could do it before’ is very unlikely to be enough of a reason to persuade Fengtao to change this which is why I’d been trying to encourage you to explain further and elaborate.

Is there a more practical reason for wanting to do this? :confused:

[B]Wombler[/B]

We will improve this issue in next version, thank you very much!

[QUOTE=fengtao;2460081]We will improve this issue in next version, thank you very much![/QUOTE]

Thank you Fengtao I knew we could count on you :clap:

[B]SJ[/B]

Thanks for clarifying that Fengtao.

Seems it’s a bug rather than an imposed restriction. :slight_smile:

The arguments above still apply though so be careful with how far you push the limits.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2460111]Thanks for clarifying that Fengtao.

Seems it’s a bug rather than an imposed restriction. :slight_smile:

The arguments above still apply though so be careful with how far you push the limits.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

:iagree: I agree with you my friend, course not sure if the size limitation is different between the -R and +R media like it is with D/L media…
it may cause issues when switching between the different types, course the user could blame no one but themselves. :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]

Thank you Fengtao. As for the limits. Each media has a different size. So placing none is the right thing to do. The user is responsible for knowing the individual product (Media/ blank disc) they purchase. I personally only use Verbatim which can hold up to 4487 mb. Sony brand can also hold this amount. I burn 1-2 MB less than these. anywhere from 4484-4486 all day without error. As mention above by you all feel free to continue to burn under the default settings if you are not comfortable altering this option. Keep in mind each brand differs so if you do not know what you are doing use the default. There is no one to blame here but oneself if they are using a program, make key changes to the settings without knowing what they are doing. Thank you to Fengtao and SJ especially for passing on the thread. Cheers. Let me clarify. Do not drive a car at 100 mph if you are still a first time driver and find it hard to turn and park. The default as mentioned above is good enough to work with. A moderator can feel free to close this thread. Very great discussion and progress was made here.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2460118]:iagree: I agree with you my friend, course not sure if the size limitation is different between the -R and +R media like it is with D/L media…
it may cause issues when switching between the different types, course the user could blame no one but themselves. :wink:

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

There’s a difference of roughly 7MB.

Strangely enough though for single layer the -R variant is the larger whereas for DL, the +R variant is bigger.

Here are are the exact sizes in bytes according to the DVD specifications.

DVD−R SL 4,707,319,808
DVD+R SL 4,700,372,992
DVD−R DL 8,543,666,176
DVD+R DL 8,547,991,552

In case anyone wonders why those figures all seem rather large the sizes quoted in DVDFab are actually expressed in mebibytes (MiB) rather than megabytes (MB). :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]