Writable Media DOES exist... (HP DVD740i)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD740i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]…Just not when I put it in my HP DVD 740i.

Hi, I’m new to the forums, my name is Sean.

I have scourged forums all across the web countless nights in an attempt to solve this mystery.

I have had my PC long enough for the warranty to expire, but my disc drive in question has seen little use, in fact it’s only burned my initial two (2) DVD discs for a system restore, 2-3 data discs (mp3 format audio), and lastly I have used the lightscribe feature once.

Now you have a little background here’s the problem:

If I insert any blank media it’s not recognized.
If I insert any form of burnt media it’s not recognized.
If I insert the cover-side for a ‘lightscribe’ it’s not recognized (this is with
up-to-date Lightscribe software as well).
If I insert any factory audio, data, or video discs they can be read.

I have searched all over in an attempt at finding some ‘drivers’ in case for
some reason my system ones became corrupt.
I have downloaded several firmware versions and recently tried to flash
with the method as described here (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f36/flash-
hp-dvd740i-b-dvd840i-b-178207/).
I have also tried allowing the disc drive to boot as a master, a slave, and
currently have it set to be auto recognized by my bios and have it
plugged in as a slave.

I am currently using Nero 7, although I have tried several recommended burning programs with no luck, as well as simple disc recognition software including, but not limited to Lightscribe, Nero, and Sonic.

As far as the media brand issue goes… I would assume that it might not matter as much when taking into account the simple fact that I can not even burn an image on the cover side of a lightscribe disc. :sad:
(For topic’s sake I have used Maxell, Sony, Fujifilm, HP, Verbatim, Nexxtech, and PNY brands sucessfully at some point or another)

As suggested in another forum I did a regedit and removed my upper and lower filters, supposedly they sync over a period of time and once the media brand is changed these calculations can become in accurate.

From previous reads and tests, I have found that a complete system restore will in fact render the drive fully functional. The down side to this is that once windows connects to the wide web… Auto update somewhere/somehow fa-jiggles the drive putting me back to where I am now.

Any help anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated, and any further or more detailed information needed is available.

Hello Sean, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

Fair play to you, looks like you’ve tried just about everything.

From what you’re saying, it looks like maybe a Windows Update (or maybe a piece of software you have installed) is messing with the drive, since you mention that after a system restore it’s back to normal.

Could you run Nero InfoTool (if you don’t have Nero, InfoTool is available as a free standalone download), and post the text output for us? Might help us identify any rogue software or update that may be causing this.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2138206]
From what you’re saying, it looks like maybe a Windows Update (or maybe a piece of software you have installed) is messing with the drive, since you mention that after a system restore it’s back to normal.
[/QUOTE]

Let me start by thanking you for the welcome and the reply. :slight_smile:

Now, on to business…
(Note: For more in depth info about the drive: Click Here

Step 1:
It’s been some time since I did a restore, so I did just that.
Sadly, this time the drive still was not functional.

Step 2:
I did a complete system wipe, dropped partitions ect., ect. And I installed Windows Vista, updated all drives from manufacturers websites, flashed my drives with updated firmware so everything would be Vista ready. This failed as well.

I continued to browse other forums and stumbled across a few that talked about:

"…a need to install ‘burn engines’ that may have been corrupt or missing…"
I was both hopeful and excited, sadly, they were more or less drivers for lightscribe functionality.
Lightscribe Tools

Upon more follow up I discovered that my particular drive when bought as a stand alone came with ‘Surething’ as it’s label/image burning software.
After browsing about their site, I did not find any drivers, only software for burning/labeling.
Surething’s Homepage

As hopeful as I was to get the drive working (I won’t give up yet though), I am afraid I may be better off, in the end, simply purchasing a more reliable product, after all it’s been atleast 2 years and we all know how technology advances.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2138206]
Could you run Nero InfoTool (if you don’t have Nero, InfoTool is available as a free standalone download), and post the text output for us? Might help us identify any rogue software or update that may be causing this.[/QUOTE]

I certainly can and did… Text Here
(I have a virtual drive which showed up in the report, too, disregard that. :wink: )

As a side note, I am using Nero 9 since I had read ALOT of people were having issues with Nero 7 (My old version).
15 Day Free Trial

Thanks for any insight in advance! :stuck_out_tongue: