Wow this is frustrating PLEASE HELP

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips DVD8631. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]ok so heres my dilema
i have been using dvdshrink, dvdfab, nero, and imgburn fine for years now.

but all of a sudden

it TAKES FOREVER to copy my dvds with dvdfab
and after i wait a lifetime for them to be done copying
haha i go to burn them
and imgburn wants to take over an hour compared to the ten minutes it used to take

and nere dont even get me started nero same problem.

now please understand before you guys reply I AM NOT TECH SAVY AT ALL
so if you could dumb it down for me that would be great.

thank you guys very much for taking the time to look at this and taking the time to reply
it is greatly appreaciated

Check Pio mode.
Buy a new burner

I agree, most likely your drive has dropped to PIO mode.

you guys are fast thanks
how do i check pio mode?

Guide for checking DMA status of the drive: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Your drive should be in Ultra DMA, not PIO. Look especially for Current Transfer Mode.

tht still didnt make a difference

Ensure you have the latest version of DVDFab,

…try testing with a different DVD,

still slow? …then it is likely a hardware issue.

yeaa im strtng to think its a hardware issue

what do i do now?

You could always try a system restore to a time when it was working ok.

Since you have DVDFab, try going into the settings and hit the Reset DMA button. You can find it by clicking on the check mark at the top of the window, then hit the General category.

May not help, but I still think this has DMA issues written all over it.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2198354]
May not help, but I still think this has DMA issues written all over it.[/QUOTE]

I would agree :slight_smile:

@whiskeyhands, can you humour us and post the Current Transfer Modes for the IDE channels your drives are attached to?

I would also take a look at your main hard drive’s free space. Coud be that your free space is so low that memory just swaps back and forth?

If that is ok, then I’d check DMA like others have said. They know more about that stuff than I do for sure!

[QUOTE=Arachne;2198374]I would agree :slight_smile:

@whiskeyhands, can you humour us and post the Current Transfer Modes for the IDE channels your drives are attached to?[/QUOTE]

how do i do that?

Go to Device Manager, double click on in the IDE Controller, then click on the Primary or Secondary channel (whichever one your dvd drive is on) and take a snapshot of that window showing the Advanced Settings tab.

So, now you have the image, come back to your thread here at cdfreaks and hit the advanced button at the bottom of the page (not Quick Reply). This allows you to hit Manage Attachments, where you can upload the picture of the Advanced Settings tab.

Here is an example of what we want: