Wow, talk about variation between scanners!

vbimport

Just take a look at these scans. It’s of the same disc. Don’t know why but the Liteon loves the disc, the BenQ hates it.

What worries me is that I’ve burnt many of these MCC004. I’m not too fussed as the discs work in my DVD player.

But this is a great example of how it’s sometimes good to have a second opinion with the use of another scanner. Just going off the BenQ I see a bad burn but going off the Liteon I see a great burn.

The best way to sum this burn up IMO is - it’s readable in all my drives so it’s a successful burn.

Some more scans show there may be issues but this is not an important disc. I am not too fussy about it and will keep it. :iagree:

Yikes your not kidding!

I read somewhere that a liteon and plextor is neutral with discs burt on different burners.
Benq is not neutral, he only like’s his own.

[QUOTE=peter4000;2017257]I read somewhere that a liteon and plextor is neutral with discs burt on different burners.
Benq is not neutral, he only like’s his own.[/QUOTE]

Don’t know about that being 100% true. I’ve heard some LG burns can turn out funny in a BenQ scan but generally most of my A grade media scan very similar to each other on both BenQ and Liteon.

[QUOTE=peter4000;2017257]I read somewhere that a liteon and plextor is neutral with discs burt on different burners.
Benq is not neutral, he only like’s his own.[/QUOTE]It’s not quite that simple. Benqs are def pickier readers in some aspects, especially when it comes to higher jitter. That said they’re still excellent readers, but once in a while they find something to spaz at in a burn. Usually for me it’s a LiteOn burn without OHT enabled or a Pioneer burn, mine also choke on Daxon AZ2 and Ritek R03 pretty well regardless of burner(including Benq burns of them). That said normally my Benq 1640 and Litey 6S drives give pretty much the same jitter average with the LiteOn reading higher PIE Benq higher PIF generally. Now my 20A1P and both my 1620s read jitter as being far higher than my other drives generally, so I don’t generally scan with them.

What puzzles me is the quality score is 95 on all of them…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2017802]What puzzles me is the quality score is 95 on all of them…[/QUOTE]

I don’t like trusting the quality score as it only bases it off the max PIF.

BTW -

I just watched a movie I burnt onto a MCC03RG20 @ 8x on the 111L. It skipped plenty throughout the movie. Mostly at the beginning and end but not so much in the middle. Surprisingly the original scans of this disc look fine. They still look ok in the Liteon but the BenQ shows more problems. The 8x scan is the original one.

Interestingly, my fake crappy MCC003 (which are quite bad scanning) work fine in this DVD player!

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2018399]I don’t like trusting the quality score as it only bases it off the max PIF.

BTW -

I just watched a movie I burnt onto a MCC03RG20 @ 8x on the 111L. It skipped plenty throughout the movie. Mostly at the beginning and end but not so much in the middle. Surprisingly the original scans of this disc look fine. They still look ok in the Liteon but the BenQ shows more problems. The 8x scan is the original one.

Interestingly, my fake crappy MCC003 (which are quite bad scanning) work fine in this DVD player![/QUOTE]I’ve run into the same problem with a 111L, which is why it’s been pretty much unused for awhile. Well mostly none of the media I’ve been using works better with it then my internal burners, maybe I’ll dust it off for some DL burns though.

Gah holy crap. Another experience of this behavior!

I was playing a PS2 game I backed up onto a CMC MAG AE1 @ 6x on the 111L. It froze a few times and I couldn’t work out why. Look at how my liteons scanned this disc! (they were flashed to DW1800 but are still liteon LH18A1P drives).

Scanning in my somewhat newly acquired BenQ 1620 showed some problems at the end of the disc!

If only I had the 1620 earlier. I have to admit that it really is handy to have two scanners of different brand because these results are worlds apart!

First scan (DW1800) is an original one from 2007. Second two were done tonight.

:eek:

This is perfectly normal.

And a great reminder to newcomers and old-timers alike, that there is NO reference standard for dvd read error measurements.

All drives report what they see and they optimize the reading differently.

Plextor is NOT more accurate than LiteOn or Benq.

They are just different.

But LiteOns on general are more tolerant of very high jitter and even some other types of reading challenges, making them sometimes too optimistic as general scanners: that is, they will report really low read error rates, not because the disc itself is a great burn, but because a LiteOn drive is such a great reader.

This means that it is silly and even misleading to draw conclusions about disc quality from a single scan using a single drive, esp. a really good reader (like a LiteOn).

[QUOTE=Halcyon;2042771] but because a LiteOn drive is such a great reader.
This means that it is silly and even misleading to draw conclusions about disc quality from a single scan using a single drive, esp. a really good reader (like a LiteOn).[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm… I don’t know about that, both my Liteon 160P6S and my 20A1P cross flashed to a DW2000
are the two most picky readers that I have ever encountered. When they both fail at reading a disc I
just stick it in any one of my SH-S203B’s and away we go they will read it with no problems at all when
both Liteon drives chokes and fails on the same disc. :confused:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2020284]Gah holy crap. Another experience of this behavior!

I was playing a PS2 game I backed up onto a CMC MAG AE1 @ 6x on the 111L. It froze a few times and I couldn’t work out why. Look at how my liteons scanned this disc! (they were flashed to DW1800 but are still liteon LH18A1P drives).

Scanning in my somewhat newly acquired BenQ 1620 showed some problems at the end of the disc!

If only I had the 1620 earlier. I have to admit that it really is handy to have two scanners of different brand because these results are worlds apart!

First scan (DW1800) is an original one from 2007. Second two were done tonight.[/QUOTE]

I’d be interested in TRT results if possible :wink:

[quote=getit29;2042781]Hmmmm… I don’t know about that, both my Liteon 160P6S and my 20A1P cross flashed to a DW2000
are the two most picky readers that I have ever encountered.[/quote] I’m with Halcyon on this one; most of my other drives are more picky than my LiteOns when reading DVD media, the only general exception being that the LiteOns don’t like bad re-linking as created by e.g. some NEC and Optiarc drives.

[QUOTE=Halcyon;2042771]This is perfectly normal.

And a great reminder to newcomers and old-timers alike, that there is NO reference standard for dvd read error measurements.

All drives report what they see and they optimize the reading differently.

Plextor is NOT more accurate than LiteOn or Benq.

They are just different.

But LiteOns on general are more tolerant of very high jitter and even some other types of reading challenges, making them sometimes too optimistic as general scanners: that is, they will report really low read error rates, not because the disc itself is a great burn, but because a LiteOn drive is such a great reader.

This means that it is silly and even misleading to draw conclusions about disc quality from a single scan using a single drive, esp. a really good reader (like a LiteOn).[/QUOTE]

I agree with all that. It’s almost useless to just have one scanner and quite stupid to base judgment on a disc just because of how one scanner sees it. Even with two or three scanners, there’s no guarantees that one disc is superior to another.

Here’s a recent scan I did, which shows the liteons high tolerance and the BenQs more fussy reading. High speed scanning stresses the liteon out enough to produce similar results to the benQ. TRT slowdowns are also present in every single drive I try the disc on.

(BTW- CMC MAG E01 is usually great media for me, I was experimenting with strategy swapping. The disc was written with SonyD11 settings I think).