Wow, a Nigerian Banker wants to give me $60,000

vbimport

Well, someone's tried to scam me. I'm kind of excited; no ones ever tried to do it before. I wonder if this sort of thing ever works.

Subj: Confidential Business Proposal:

Attn.,

First, I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction. This is by virtue of its nature
as being utterly confidential and "top secret". We are top officials of the Federal
Government Contract Review Panel who are interested in importation of goods into our
country with funds that are presently trapped in Nigeria. In order to commence this
business, we solicit your assistance to enable us transfer into your account the said-trapped
funds.

The source of the fund is as follows: During the regime of the last Military transitional
government of Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, government officials set up companies and
awarded themselves contracts which were grossly over invoiced in various ministries. The
present democratic government of President Olusegun Obasanjo set up the Contract
Review Panel and we have identified a lot of inflated contract funds that are presently
floating in the Central Bank of Nigeria ready for payment. However, by virtue of our position
as civil servants and members of this panel, we cannot acquire
this money in our names. I have therefore been delegated as a matter of trust by my
colleagues in the panel, to look for an oversea partner into whose account we would
transfer the sum of US$31,320,000.00 (Thirty-One Million, Three Hundred and Twenty
thousand United States Dollars) in which we hope to use in purchasing Agro Allied
equipment, and to enable us to own properties and invest in the stable economy of your
country. Hence, we are sending you this email message. We have agreed to share the
money thus:

1. 20% for the account owner (you)
  2. 70% for us (the officials of the CRP)
  3. 10% to be used in settling taxation and all local and foreign expenses.

Due to our poor Telecommunication system and for purpose of strict confidentiality you are
to respond via Fax No: 234 17590503 or e-mail: danike@spinfinder.com Please
acknowledge receipt of this message for proper briefing on the safe modality for the
execution.

Yours faithfully
Dr. Daniel Ike

NOTE: PLEASE QUOTE THIS REFERENCE NUMBER (DI/06/02) IN ALL YOUR
REPONSE.

lol!
Come in ‘spinner’

This scam has been pulled of several times here in the Netherlands, according to the warnings I read in the news every so often.

It is definately a scam, wouldn’t get so excited about that…being selected to get scammed :wink:

A Scam ??? No !!!

Whats all this money doing in my bank account, then ??:slight_smile:

Bags

Good to see you get this c**p in your countries as well. Both my brother and I have received this one both in this form and with 2 or 3 variations several times. :eek:
I’d regard it as funny except I don’t know where these clowns got my email address:( . Fortunately I don’t get spammed often but I do get this one every few weeks.:Z

this is what you should do to the danike@spinfinder.com or their other e-mail servers.

You should find mailbomber programs that will send tons of email (basically spam) and overload their server. Tell us about it when you do it. You will probably get praise if you succeed in feedin’ these spammers their own medicine!

I set up a dummy hotmail account and sent a reply that I remembered from DIlbert:

"Dear Dr. Ike,

I keep my money in a tube sock I found behind the dryer. Please deliver the funds there."

being selected to get scammed

I’m glad I met their stringent requirements.

lol, while reading the names of the people I just couldn’t stop laughing. It reminded me of the presidential debate on SNL where Bush continues to pronounce various NIgerian names. It was hilarious.
However, being scammed ain’t a nice experience. I was sacammed by a company offering to search companies for various scholarships for college. My parents paid $500 bucks and we never heard from the bastards again. Their phone number and address were all fake.:a

There was also announcement on u.s. government site to give feedback when contacted by someone to be scammed!

I read somwehere about a guy that pretended that he’d gone for it, and he started a discussion with these people… But he wouldn’t give away his money (of course) and started talking about lots of other stuff… And the other guy kept replying… Kinda fun…:slight_smile: But I’ve lost the URL…

I don’t really get this …

What can they actually gain from this other than just the # of your bank account? I didn’t see anywhere in their mail asking for money or something… :confused:

Originally posted by Hemispasm
[B]I don’t really get this …

What can they actually gain from this other than just the # of your bank account? I didn’t see anywhere in their mail asking for money or something… :confused: [/B]

When you reply they will ask you for a sum up front to cover some costs…and when you pay, you will hear nothing of them…and that is the scam…

and maybe you get involved in something of course illegal like you gave money for some kind of terrorists and there is the proof since you transferred money from yor bank account number!

I heard that there are two new versions of this scam going around. One involves the afghanistan version of this and another involves an amount of cash that was lost in the WTC attacks that is going to be recovered.
Also i read that americans lost 6 million this year to internet scams up from 3 million in 2000. Its just as bad worldwide as well.

Ah, my Nigerian banker is better than your Nigerian banker. My guy has US$152,000,000 to “liberate”. I don’t know how people can fall for this scam, I suppose the lure of a fast buck blinds the brain. If it is too good to be true…it probably is.

kinda reminds me of the simpsons w/the ‘wealth transfer fee’ :smiley:

You can do something about them :

"

Hello

This user has been terminated in accordance with our acceptable
use policy.

Outblaze is one of the largest providers of webmail services in
the world. As a responsible ISP, we hate spam, and we do not
allow our network to be abused by spammers.

There is only one thing that we hate more than spammers - 419
(nigerian) scam artists abusing our systems.

Please see http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/ for more about
this well known scam.

Our acceptable use policy can be found at
http://www.outblaze.com/antispam/index.html

Thank you for reporting this incident. Please feel free to report
further incidents of abuse originating from our users to us at
abuse@outblaze.com

We encourage you to use http://www.spamcop.net to send out automated
spam complaints, if you face difficulties complaining manually to each
spam you receive.

Thank You
Outblaze Abuse Desk

"

Nice piece of art-shirt for a scum! they even fool you afterwards with a t-shirt!