WOW - 1000Watts Power Supply

The individual rails on a per amp rating are still not impressive (not in any of these IMO), but the 1100 you show here should really spec higher than the 1000 in the first post I made. I didn’t look at the 1200 Thermaltake mentioned yet, but will in time. In either case, these are really cool but all too pricey unless you are a hardcore overclocker/gamer.

Surely I won’t need to buy any of them in a near future (unless given at like 70% discount) since I am going to concentrate on power-efficient processors like Merome. Just tired of heavy hardware parts.

Not all PSU are created equal either, I have a Dell with a PS that is ‘rated’ around 175 watts, and it has no issues with a P4, 3 HDs, 2 DVD burners, a 9600 XT,… A cheapo, generic ‘400 watt’ PS would probably have more trouble than my Dell’s PS.

BTW, I have one of those ‘Kill-a-Watt’ devices, it is a device to accurately measure power usage, and my Dell uses around 75 watts under normal, ‘light’ use such as web browsing. More interesting, and I need to do further testing on this, it was still drawing about 50 watts when the computer was in standby(!). Fortunately I use Hibernate or shut the computer down rather than using standby, but talk about inefficient…

I’d take that PCPower & Cooling power supply over any higher rated unit any time of the day. Actually I have, and it runs amazing. my system uses around 450 watts max load (as reported by my ups), but thank goodness for energy saving features like idle and sleep modes.

@scoobiedoobie

Aren’t the PSU’s in most Dell computers the very “generic” ones? :bigsmile: (Unless you chose the PSU yourself when you bought the Dell PC.) Dell probably paid just around US$5 for such a PSU.

BTW, Xeon Woodcrest processors are now available in both Japan and the United States. The 5110 seems to be especially affordable at just around US$250 in the US and it runs at 1.6GHz. Two Woodcrest at 1.6GHz on a high-end (with dual-channel U320 SCSI onboard) Supermicro mainboard, how much power?

http://www.memorylabs.net/inducowoxene.html

Sources reporting test with quad SLI video systems have indicated that 1000 watts is needed for these. Dell is currently planning a system.

People are insane. I’m still on a PCI video card.

You forgot most people use integrated graphics that costs nearly zero? That includes myself. :bigsmile:

I think gamers are insane. I have seen some spend massive amounts of money on video, just to turn around and replace it in no time. I’m personally running old radion 8500’s and they still work great, though I just recently upgraded to pci-e (I’m still running a pci vid card in that system till I find a deal on a pci-e card I like).

afaik, most major OEMs like Dell and HP use pretty decent psus.

When Dell bought Alienware, this is what they plan to do in the newer Alienware systems.

Crap. :disagree:
Quad SLI will do quite well with a 660 watts PSU.
And when you can get your hands on a Core 2 Duo system, even 550W might be enough. :smiley:

Hey, don’t shoot the messenger. I am just reporting what the tech reports say. All I know is that after spending $2200 in the VGA setup I would not be scrimping on a PSU and some of the most respected PSU manufactures are gearing up with 800-1000 watt supplies for just this purpose.

I didn’t say “not decent”, just “generic” by which I meant most cost-effective actually. :slight_smile:

Does Dell spend US$200 for a PSU when they spend US$30 on a CPU and graphics together?

Dell being Dell, maybe they ARE only paying $5 per PSU because of the quantities purchased (probably more though), but I can assure you it’s a better quality PSU than your average $20-30 retail PSU. I have several of these and they are very good and have a good reputation (these particular systems are actually servers but they use the same PSU in their higher end consumer towers). They handle twice or more their rated load day in, day out, zero problems for about 3 years now.

The PSU on the basic XPS Dell is 650W. On lower end Dells theys go as low as 266W. I have seen 3 different names and none were names anyone would remember.

I’m not sure what you are talking about by “your average $20-30 retail PSU” at all. I have had a Dell server myself with a redundant PSU.

What I said was just about COST. I don’t really care about “reputation” and “quality” you speak about because such words are extremely vague when posted on these computer forums. But cost is often nearly transparent. Everyone can see a Dell PC is consisted of the least costly parts mostly made in China. Because the very Chinese suppliers and Dell itself make such data published.

If you want to say a US$5 PSU in a Dell PC is good, well… good for you.

Most of the world’s PC’s today have Celeron processors inside. So are the PSU’s inside such systems the same ones as the ones in your Dell servers? Even a retail Celeron D processors costs as low as under US$40 including retailer’s margin, shipping, and tax. OEM bulk cost must be more like US$20. PC manufacturers have typically used PSU’s that cost as much as US$10. The unit cost of ATX PSU’s has always dropped for the last 10 years or so. Whether it’s Dell or HP or Fujitsu or Samsung is pointless. Their priority is cost, cost, and cost only. Maybe with Supermicro, it’s still a bit different story.

This has gotten a bit overblown, all that I’m suggesting is that it’s a better quality PSU than something such as a Powmax that someone might buy for $20 or so. I’m not suggesting it’s a high end PSU by any means, I’ve only use it as an example that not all PSU’s are created equal, specifically when talking about their rated wattage. A low quality 250W PSU would not be able to handle the stress that my ‘175W’ PSU takes. I brought it up since much of the discussion is based on wattage, power requirements of different setups, etc. - it’s basically a disclaimer to a noob not to think that a $20, ‘500 watt’ Powmax is actually going to reliably provide that much power over time. That’s obvious to some, but some are going to go with the cheapest PSU they can with the power rating they are interested in, and I wanted to use an example of why this should not be done. Perhaps you would have understoood my point better from the other end of it, if I had mentioned the amount of failures from low quality PSU’s that had more than enough rated power to handle the system, rather than a low rated PSU handling well beyond its rated power.

That wasnt’s a good example, either. What’s the relevance of a Dell server PSU here at all? And who here wants to buy a Powmax PSU for US$20?!? Both are extreme examples. Powmax is actually, from my observations, the worst PSU brand in the world. (Coincidentally, I have two Powmax PSU’s, cheapest I’ve ever bought from retail sources.)

I would have agreed if you just said a PSU in a typical Dell PC is acceptable for most of the world’s PC users in their daily computer uses. But for that matter, even a Powmax PSU works just alright. A few years ago, I saw a website torture-testing some PSU’s and the one from Powmax literally exploded, but such a thing happens even to a Dell notebook or an Intel processor if pushed too much or used wrongly affecting very few end users in the real world.

Any thorough comparisons among the typical PSU’s in “major OEM” brands like Dell, HP, NEC, Fujitsu, LG, Samsung, etc. and “major retail” brands? Reviews seem to concentrate on the latter group only.