Would Toshiba HD-DVD Player do it all?

I’m beginning to think about what components I will need for a decent system.

1) HD Cable box (Time Warner)
2) Toshiba HD-DVD Player
3) Sony 6.1 630w # STRD 6710 Receiver (with two ...hopefully three, if 
    needed) HDMI)
4) I will need to buy a Subwoofer, I have old speakers for old Sony pro- 
      logic 10 year old receiver. (2-rears, two fronts, one center)
5) Oh, oh yeah, one Samsung LNT 4671 (120HZ) LCDTV 1080p.

I am going to be hanging this on a wall. From what the dudes @ best Buy and fry’s electronics are telliing me, is to get “MONSTER inside Wall extra sheething 1000 series HDMI Cables” (120hz). is there a huge difference with possible degregation of other components with a lesser HDMI Cords…about 12 feet lenght.
Thanks! :disagree:
I presently have a Panasonic CD/DVD/JPG/MP3 Player I watch regular movies on. Is it time to toss it, and not buy an 1080p upconverter only to trash that soon too, and get a HD-DVD player,and can this player play Div-x and other formats?

Don’t waste your money on Monster cables. Any decent shielded cable will do. These are digital signals, and totally unaffected by the cable they pass through.
12’ is not a great distance either, and does not require anything special. I think $20 would be more than adequate for the cable you need. NEVER listen to the guys at BB/CC, about anything.

The Toshiba HD-DVD players are the best upconverting DVD players that money can buy, but they do not play DIVX.

Monster cables are nice if you got money too burn.

Buying HDMI cables should be much simpler than analogue cables. Any HDMI cable will work with every audio video component, regardless of what version of HDMI the component offers.

With HDMI cables, there is no need for shielding since there is no interference within the cable. A thicker copper core will however allow a longer cable run. For runs longer than 5 meters ( 16.4 Feet ), a thicker cable is recommended because of inevitable signal attenuation. Signal boosters are available for transmitting a signal over longer distances.

Pay attention to the build quality of HDMI cables. Look for cables that have the HDMI logo on them. This means that the product has been tested at one of the HDMI authorized testing centres and meets the HDMI specification.

One other aspect to consider is the plug itself. While gold plated plugs are generally believed to be better, you should be careful. Although silver is a better conductor, gold platting reduces the likelihood of corrosion. The problem is that poorly made, inexpensive cables use poorly applied, thin coats of gold platting. The platting is susceptible to flaking or scratching off and in the end may provide a poor conduit for the signal.

At this current time there is no HD product supporting dvix playback.

:cool::cool:

My opinion…

1. Get your cables from Monoprice.com and save money… Quality and price is great on their cables and accessories…

2. Get a Toshiba A3, currently selling for $199 at numerous places (hhgregg has it for $150)… Your set should be able to take the 1080i and deinterlace it to 1080p…

3. If your planning on buying a receiver, take a look at the Pioneer VSX-1017TXV… I have an older 1015 and I am nothing but happy with it…

4. Speakers will definately be something you cant skimp on… Poor speakers will give you poor sound, period… A decent home theatre set will set you back a few hundred dollars… Subwoofers do make a difference also, ie. a small sub in a big room is not ideal… This is the most unique part of a home theatre system for individuals since no ones needs are the same… You should test speakers at your local audio video retailer…

Good luck…

You are going to love that TV. I bought the same TV a month ago and I am super happy with it.:iagree: I had the same questions about the HDMI cable and bought a monster cable, then quickly returned it because I did some reading and found out any certified HDMI version 1.3 cable is capable of the bandwidth and the future upgrades that the Monster 1000 cable will give you and you can find them a [B]lot[/B] cheaper. Click[quote=bozoagain;1937118]I’m beginning to think about what components I will need for a decent system.

1. HD Cable box (Time Warner)
  2. Toshiba HD-DVD Player
  3. Sony 6.1 630w # STRD 6710 Receiver (with two …hopefully three, if
    needed) HDMI)
  4. I will need to buy a Subwoofer, I have old speakers for old Sony pro-
    logic 10 year old receiver. (2-rears, two fronts, one center)
  5. [B]Oh, oh yeah, one Samsung LNT 4671 (120HZ) LCDTV 1080p.[/B]

I am going to be hanging this on a wall. From what the dudes @ best Buy and fry’s electronics are telliing me, is to get “MONSTER inside Wall extra sheething 1000 series HDMI Cables” (120hz). is there a huge difference with possible degregation of other components with a lesser HDMI Cords…about 12 feet lenght.
Thanks! :disagree:
I presently have a Panasonic CD/DVD/JPG/MP3 Player I watch regular movies on. Is it time to toss it, and not buy an 1080p upconverter only to trash that soon too, and get a HD-DVD player,and can this player play Div-x and other formats?[/quote]