Would this PSU create poor results>?

vbimport

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether a new PSU would improve 8x burning of MKM 001, should i attempt it when i get my dvr-111??
see image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/gregtherotter/P4290105.jpg

Hi,

it would be polite to the other users, if you wrote down the data instead of wasting their bandwidth…

Concerning your question: Just do the math and calculate the need of your hardware using the datasheets of your HDD and ODD at least.

4A @ 12V is a joke, unless you run a 486 with that PSU.

Michael

Sorry about that, im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. What do you mean by a 486?? a 486mhz comp?? (ODD???)

Hi :slight_smile:
In my current setup that PSU would not be able to boot the system.
Take a look at this.
Calculate it for yourself. (It’s only a guide so don’t take it too seriously).

:eek:

Mine’s 18A @12V, and even that only just boots my PC (mind you, my PSU is pretty crappy).

Edit: if you do get a new PSU though, get a good one (not like the one in my main PC). The folks on here should be able to advise you well on what’s best. :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
It made me wonder what mine was. I couldn’t remember but I thought it was less than 18A. When I checked it was 18A, but it has two 12v rails @ 18.
Edited as I was looking at the wrong column.
Here it is.

Ahhh yeah, you have a posh one with 2x 12v rails :)…not like my piece of [censored] :bigsmile:

Is that an AT case? Good luck finding a new one that fits in there :stuck_out_tongue: .

lol, its donkeys years old. An HP vectra :stuck_out_tongue:

The PSUs HP used for their Vectras weren’t that bad. But they are designed to power the system as is.

486 is the CPU-generation before the Pentium :wink: ODD is “Optical Disc Drive”

Michael

That must be a custom unit for HP then. Nothing else will fit (AT or ATX). You’ll need another case as well then, if you want a better PSU :slight_smile: .

If replacing a CD-ROM with a DVD writer, you maight get away with it, as I doubt that modern writers use much more power tha previous generation CD-ROM drives.

The power balance in older systems was different, with a greater bias toward the 5V and 3.3V - it could well be a Pentium running at 3.3V.

In older systems, the 12V normally only powered things with moving parts, such as the fans and the drives.

A system of that era will probably have drive controllers limited to 16MB/s (not ultra) limiting the maximum speed to 8x at best, and that would only be with a more modern hard disk on the other channel of the controller, and DMA mode is essential. It is also likely to be short of RAM, running an older operating system.

I’d put the drive in an external case, and use it with the laptop instead!

Ive taken then fan out of this system as it doesnt work lol. Also with only 256 ram and a pentium 3 966mhz processor, what heat is it going to accumulate anyway? So theres no power going to that. As for internet components added, ive only added a 3 port usb card, and a wireless adapter card.

Ive only been able to get 12x burns if im lucky, but yes, 8x does get the best results. When doing a test disc with nero cd/dvd speed it gets up to 14.5x, but obviously its not having to get any info from the hdd or anything.

If I get a case for the Pio 111, will it still be able to do DL burning at 8x with the same quality as if it was in a good spec computer or is that asking a bit much?

Im actually suprised you can even get a burn on your DVDRW drive with that PSU. The power supply is wowefully underpowered for todays top speed DVDRW drives. Be careful if you use your drive to much you may burn out the power supply even if its good quality its only 120 watt.

The reason you have got away with it for so long is your computer is a compaq and everything is build onto the board. So their isnt much power drawn, these computers were never really meant to be upgraded much. The 12v rail is to low to handle much. As for not being able to get max speed, coupled with the fact that your computer is probably quite old and the lack of Amps on the 12v rail is probably a contributing factor.

I’d never run that CPU without a fan. That’s just looking for trouble and it’s not going to make the difference power-wise.

So it might damage the PSU, would it damage the actual drive?? :eek: Should I use the drive as a dvd rom only or simply take it out and put it in a case?

According to a review picture, the Pioneer 111 ratings (maxiimum):
12v, 1.0A
5V, 1.6A

A similar set of figures for ome CD-ROM (52x) were:
12V, 0.9A
5V, 1.5A

If it REPLACES a previous optical drive, or the sytem was offered with an optical drive in a similar configration, then I wouldn’t be too concerned - not sure how the power balance pans out with a Pentium 3 though, that’s a big CPU for such a weedy powerpack, even if the remainder is pretty lightweight.

Modern systems put the CPU on a switchmode regulator from 12v (even though the required voltage is 1.x), as the conversion efficiency is better, older systms tended to use lower voltages, starting with the 5V or 3.3V, while the oldest used power wasting linear regulators with significant heatsinks.

the last thing in the computer was a standard cd rom drive, not a writer of any sort. :confused:

Compare the ratings, normally on a label on the the top of the drive…
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=16989

If the drive isn’t much more than the one it replaces, then it should be adequate - you think of a CD-ROM as being much lower power than a writer, but there might not be a lot of difference. If the small casing of the machine supported one hard drive and one optical, then they would have a lot of problems if the PSU wasn’t adequate.
The label rating on the drive is worst case peak, of course.

Not sure if it’ll hotlink the image from there…

This is what my cd rom drive says: (image size is 180kb)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/gregtherotter/various%20pics/P5030108.png

haha it looks like the power consumption difference is a little :kiss: LOL