Would the upgrade be worth it?

vbimport

i currently have an athlon 64 3200+ processor and just installed windows7. I only have 1gb of memory and i am running 64 bit w7. I have a couple hundred dollars that if i could i would buy a new mb/cpu and memory if i could. I just have not been into the trends since i built the athlon64. I have an antec power supply, 1 sata hd, 2 ide hd and 2 dvdburners so all i would need is the mb.cpu memory. i have a ide controller card that i can use becuase i know most new motherboards only have 1 ide controller. so here is what i have been looking at.

i was looking at this combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Com...mbo.320282
and adding this memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6820231166

i know that puts me $50 over my budget but that would be ok. I already have a promise card that i could use for now for my extra ide devices.

i also see the same thing at microcenter, i have one of those within an hour of me, at least i think it is the same product for just a few dollars cheaper. does this look like the same processor?

http://www.microcenter.com/single...id=0315787
http://www.microcenter.com/single...id=0319782

so my questions are…would i be wasting my money buying this board/cpu/memory combo? i could use my old board/memory/cpu to upgrade my daughters computer.

Is there something better out there for around the same price?
any newegg discounts floating around or bing search words?

I know i can spend $50-$100 and get some more ram for my current setup but i figure if i am spending that to just upgrade, would i be better off getting something much newer. I dont want to waste money but i dont mind spending it if the upgrade will be alot more noticable over just a memory upgrade.

Howdy.
Unfortunately, all the links you provided have been corrupted, making looking them up a tad difficult.
If your current CPU uses socket 754 or 939 (which means DDR memory), it is very likely that getting a new motherboard/CPU/memory kit makes more financial sense than buying more memory. If, however, it is AM2, depending on what model your motherboard is, getting more memory might make more sense. DDR2 is ludicrously cheap right now. The problem is that when you do get a new motherboard in the future, the DDR2 memory will be obsolete and useless.

weird, those links worked last night.
here are some different links of the same product.

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

That setup will set you back ~275$ while an i3 system sets you back $319.97 and performs much better…

//Danne

AWILLIAMS64, the propus quad core is good, but you should team it up with a pure AM3 MB and DDR3 since the cost is the same and it will be more compatible with future cpu’s :slight_smile:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core
ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

$278

I would still much rather go with the Intel solution but if you still insist on going AMD grab the MSI 785GM-E65 board instead so you don’t get that dreaded VIA sound chip.
//Danne

[QUOTE=eric93se;2487332]AWILLIAMS64, the propus quad core is good, but you should team it up with a pure AM3 MB and DDR3 since the cost is the same and it will be more compatible with future cpu’s :slight_smile:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core
ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$278[/QUOTE]

i guess that would make better sense to get an actual am3 motherboard. Like i said i have been out of the loop since i built the athlon64.

I really dont have a reason for going with amd, i have just always used them and for my needs they have always provided a troublefree system. Thats my only reason. I dont do alot of gaming, multi window cads or anything. I mainly use it for my guitar programs, surfing the web and a little video capturing and editing. (copying old family vhs tapes to dvd).

also i really dont think i need a micro board., i have a tower that has 4 cd bays and then 2 floppy bays and 4 hd bays so i could probably use a regular size board.

i do understand now going with a am3 board so i can use ddr3 memory.

I hate trying to make decisions like this when i am so uneducated on the material!

i did find this link telling which motherboards that they reccomend http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBResult.aspx?f1=AMD+Athlon™+II+X4&f2=620&f3=C2&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=95+W

Using DDR3 in the new MB isn’t the only advantage, actually DDR3 is only a tiny bit faster, in the future AMD cpu’s will not support DDR2 anymore and getting a DDR3 MB will allow one of those new cpu’s to run in your new MB.

So here’s a full ATX board with the 550 Calisto cpu instead, it should be faster for the tasks that you intend to do.

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core

$293

I also have a microcenter within driving distance, but when you factor in time/gas/taxes its not such a great deal. But I"ve heard they will price match other stores like newegg, but probably not fry’s.

Be very careful with your selection of RAM when going out of spec and really consider if you want VIA audio-chip… But still, i3 performs much better and is only slightly more expensive.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/print/clarkdale-review.html
//Danne

The H55 setup consumes a lot less power too, Hmmm, and darn fast. Some reviews on newegg people were complaining that the video drivers weren’t too good for the i5 processor, I’m sure it will get better.

He wants a ATX board and that Gigabyte H55 board has kind of a weird layout where its almost meant for a gamer, the only reasonable ATX board is this EVGA 123-CD-E635-KR and its a good amount more $$.

According to that review the Athlon Propus chip is also faster than the 550 Calisto, so if your still set on the AMD setup go for the Propus quad core instead of the 550. The only difference would be if you got the 550 Calisto there is the opportunity to ‘unlock’ the two unused cores turning it into a full Phenom chip.

decision descision AWILLIAMS64 :slight_smile: what will he do?

well i had another loop thrown into my decision making. I realized that i only have a 380 watt power supply http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?Type=MQ==&id=NjM=
i thought i bought a bigger one when i bought it last year. So i believe that i would need a bigger power supply to run the new system so i may just have to put it on hold for now.

I’d say that it’ll work fine
//Danne

A MB + CPU with onboard video will use less than 200W when under full load, so you will be fine. Unless it were a heavily OC’ed core i7, then it would go over 200W.

well, unfortunately i had a couple of unexpected expenses come up today. It never fails!. I may be better off and just wait a few more months and maybe try an intel processor this time. I will be back when i get some more money saved up. I did have a friend give me 2gb of ram so now i have a total of 3g running on my current system. It runs better than it ever did so i guess that is something good that came of all of this. He also gave me a pci express video card, asus en6200tc512 i know its older but better than the on board i was using.