Would I be prosecuted?

Hi

I have quite a large DVD collection, and for a while now I have been downloading dvdRips of the movies I have (it takes my computer 30 hours for a 2 pass xvid rip)

i have read that this is technically illegal, but would the cps prosecute and could my isp cut my internet.

I dont rent sell copy or otherwise share the files i have, they are just on my hdd for easy access from my htpc.

Just to make it clear - all the movies i have downloaded - i already own a legitimate original version of it.

Thanks

yes it is although it’s not to me either, you need to make copies from your originals. I doubt they would cut your internet and stuff though.

Are there any provisions under uk law for fair use, of media I have purchased that would enable me to legally watch my films in my private residence in any format that I see fit.

The movie companies have had the royalties from me, and yet I cannot watch my movies legally.

This all started when my son (now 10) got a playstation for his bedroom - he would take the dvds through the room and when they came back they would all be scratched. Surely I have some right to take reasonable precautions against this.

It’s illegal, because that’s the law. You have no right making a backup. Sorry. It’s horrible, it’s not fair, but that’s how life and law is.

So, don’t tell people you’re breaking the law, since it’ll give them more evidence.

This article makes it quite clear that it is illegal in the UK…and there is a risk you will be caught and prosecuted.
Remember that while the risk is relatively low at the moment, the recording industry is putting more pressure on to track and catch people doing this…so the risk is increasing. Up to you…

[QUOTE=UKGangsta;2304016]Hi

I have quite a large DVD collection, [B]and for a while now I have been downloading dvdRips of the movies I have (it takes my computer 30 hours for a 2 pass xvid rip)[/B]

i have read that this is technically illegal, but would the cps prosecute and could my isp cut my internet.

I dont rent sell copy or otherwise share the files i have, they are just on my hdd for easy access from my htpc.

Just to make it clear - all the movies i have downloaded - i already own a legitimate original version of it.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

This is illegal even you “have” those DVD/movies.