Worth extra $21.00 for 8X -R (812S)

vbimport

Ok, I paid too much for my 811S ($159.00), New Egg (although I never used them) has them for $108 including shipping…

They also have the newer 812S which in addtion to offering +R8X (as does my 811s), it also offers -R8X.

So, my questions, it would make sense to return my Best Buy Purchase and get back almost $64 due to $13 in tax, plus savings…

but I also noticed new egg has the 812 for $128 or so…but is it needed (the extra few dollars for -R8X?

I would buy the 812S over the 811S myself. For $21 the purchase would be worth it to me. No one can tell you really if it’s “worth it” or not though, it’s your money after all.
Initial (very early) indications point that the 812S might have better write quality then the 811S but it’s early and I’ve only seen a handful of results so far. Until someone gets out an in-depth review it’s hard to say if that hypothesis is founded.

Originally posted by Ssseth
I would buy the 812S over the 811S myself. For $21 the purchase would be worth it to me. No one can tell you really if it’s “worth it” or not though, it’s your money after all.
Initial (very early) indications point that the 812S might have better write quality then the 811S but it’s early and I’ve only seen a handful of results so far. Until someone gets out an in-depth review it’s hard to say if that hypothesis is founded.

Well, certainly a few things to think about…

from a performance POV, it’s been wonderful, using shrink and nero, I’ve backed up several of my movies that play back fine on PC and stand alone.

It burns +4 at 8X speeds (specs are true), so this leads me to wonder…

My firmware according to Nero is HS0K, and the drive was manufactured JAN 2004, that said, I can;t understand any one having problems unless they use cheap media…and even then, I’m not to sure, anyway, without rambling on too much, this GEM is do good, I’m wondering if bringing it back to Best buy and ordering it online to save $60 or $30 if I get the 812S, would be worth it since the drive I have works so good for me.

BUt the idea ((( after reading here)))) that we may be able to dual write down the road is interesting…