Wont Read DVD-RAM disks

vbimport

I have a DVD drive that used to read my RAM disks, but now it wont. The Drive is a BTC IDE H16X ATA Device. I is reading DVD-R and DVD-RW fine but put any sort of RAM disk in and says no disk is inserted. The disks read fine in my panasonic DVD player and mini DVD-RAM disks read fine in Panasonic camera. OS of computer is win7. Any ideas appreciated.

Hi and Welcome!

are you really sure this unit was able to deal with DVD-RAM? In case you have Nerö installed, please run Nero’ Infotool.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2589978]Hi and Welcome!

are you really sure this unit was able to deal with DVD-RAM? In case you have Nerö installed, please run Nero’ Infotool.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Absolutely positive 100% as it was bought specifically to be able to do so and did so no problem for some time. I dont have nero installed and dont want to either as it is a very invasive program and hard to get rid of.

Hm. Okay.
As for Nero Info Tool - this can be downloaded separately and does not require installation. ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/InfoTool.zip - just unzip and run the application.
Not necessary if you have ImgBurn installed - there is also a “drive capabilities” option integrated.

The inability to handle DVD-RAM (assuming that the drive supports these) could be either some kind of software problem, or the drive starts getting faulty.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2590191]Hm. Okay.
As for Nero Info Tool - this can be downloaded separately and does not require installation. ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/InfoTool.zip - just unzip and run the application.
Not necessary if you have ImgBurn installed - there is also a “drive capabilities” option integrated.

The inability to handle DVD-RAM (assuming that the drive supports these) could be either some kind of software problem, or the drive starts getting faulty.

Michael[/QUOTE]

OK thanks, I downloaded the info tool and it reports the drive as reading and writing to DVD-RAM . Under disk details it said on most disks I put in that there was no disk in drive. It did however manage to read one mini RAM disk from my Video Camera. But then when I tried to play that file in VLC it froze up. One might start assuming from the above that the drive is on its way out BUT, all DVD-R and RW disks and CD all read fine. So surely if it was hardware then it would have trouble with all disks and NOT just RAM disks.

Hi,[QUOTE=reg1952nz;2590200]One might start assuming from the above that the drive is on its way out BUT, all DVD-R and RW disks and CD all read fine. So surely if it was hardware then it would have trouble with all disks and NOT just RAM disks.[/QUOTE]Not exactly. The laser system has to work on several wavelengths in order to deal with the different kind of media it is supposed to support.
Failure of handling either DVD (any types) or CD (any types) is sure sign of a (semi-) dead laser system.

I suspect, your drive starts dying on the DVD side. Or it is just a little bit dusty - you might try if carefully (no cleaner discs!) cleaning the lens does help.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2590232]…Or it is just a little bit dusty - you might try if carefully (no cleaner discs!) cleaning the lens does help.

Michael[/QUOTE]

if you have more detailed info for that you are engaged here. :bigsmile: