Won't play on DVD standalone, yet good kprobe

I’d like to say I did “x” now I can’t play DVD in my standalone any longer. Unfortunately there’s not only “x”, but “y” and “z” too. “x” would be the firmware update of my 832s (actually a 451s) from CG5G to CG5J, “y” would be possibly a few bad Ritek (Ridata) media in my 100 cake, and “z” would be time, maybe the burner is used up? I’ve done about 300 burns with it.

After I do a burn I run kprobe on all my burns. The look really nice (around 30-40 PI and PIF’s never exceed 4, usually ave. <0.5). In a few recent burns a line has appeared after the burn in the substrate about 1" long (25mm) and 1/8" <2-3mm wide. But not always, and the kprobe still looks great. Regardless of the line they play fine on my PC, but when I load the DVD into my player they don’t even load up, eventually I get and error (5) or disc unreadable. They get “stuck” in the player and takes a while to eject. This happens all the time, with or without the “line” in the substrate. Burns from before the firmware update a couple weeks ago (or is it some bad media, again “x” or “y”) play fine. So to test if it’s the firmware I loaded CG5G on, still good burns, but they don’t play in the standalone DVD player. So I’ve upgraded back to CG5J. I’m at a loss. Maybe it’s the DVD player…guess that would be “alpha”…

Hmm lines on the burn surface are not a good sign but they should not be the cause of your DVD player not recognizing the media at all. If the lines are indeed bad spots on the disc it will show up as pixelation, or worse, a read error during playback on your DVD player, not cause your DVD player to fail to recognize the media at all. So, I suspect that this isn’t the problem.

One thing I can think of is that your DVD player is picky and cannot play all the DVD formats. Some DVD players for instance cannot play DVD+R discs but they can be fooled though when your DVD burner is able to change the booktype of these DVD+R discs to DVD-ROM. It’s a guess of course but it could be that because you upgraded the firmware of your DVD recorder it now doesn’t set the booktype for DVD+R discs anymore and you need to re-enable this option so your player will be able to read the discs again.

A wild guess but worth a shot. Let us know if it works or not!

After viewing the media with dvdinfopro the booktype on a few recent burns has been set to “DVD+R”. So changing the booktype to DVD-ROM was it! Live and learn. Thanks!

Now if I only knew what those lines in the media were.

After viewing the media with dvdinfopro the booktype on a few recent burns has been set to “DVD+R”. So changing the booktype to DVD-ROM was it! Live and learn. Thanks!

Now if I only knew what those lines in the media were.

Could you post a scan and circle the area in question so we could take a look at it.

Is that “line” always at the END of the burn or does it happen sometimes in the middle of a disc ?

Can you confirm this finding with other type of media ?

I have an old spindle of RIDATA +Rs and have not noticed any lines.

Waiting for your scan.