Wondering about buffer overruns, errors etc

Hi, I’m new and figured I would start out here with some questions and thoughts on a pain in the butt of a subject.

In Windows 98; burning CDs was a very easy task and buffer overruns were rarely or never even heard of. Once Win XP came out; the older burning software wouldn’t work anymore and newer programs for the purpose of burning CDs had to be installed and used instead. This is about when buffer overruns became the main excuse given for problems related to burning CDs.

The advice given on many support sites is to shut down one’s anti-virus software etc., try using a different burning media or reinstall your CD burning programs. None of these things seem to make any sense, because nobody had to do all this in Windows 98.

More thoughts and info regarding CD burning problems;

One thing I haven’t found any information on is that certain sound files themselves just won’t burn to CD. They (mp3 & wav) play fine on the computer, but for some reason the CD burner or software will register errors whenever one attempts to burn it to a CD.

Most people burn more than one file at a time, so they never notice that it may be only one file that is causing them to make all of those drink coasters.

I did an experiment using a CD-RW to eliminate making drink coasters…

I attempted to burn 10 music files at once and got an error just as the writing process was almost over.

I erased the CD-RW and began the process of burning one file at a time, finalizing the session, but not the whole disk. I finally got to the problem file, which helped me to figure out which one it was.

I then re-erased the CD-RW and burned the whole group of files, minus the problem one and it all turned out fine. I did a few more experiments like this and found that sometimes there can be more than one problem file in a group.

I’m curious if anyone is aware of this fact and or knows why this happens? I can’t seem to find any real info on this and it seems it’s all being blamed on buffer overruns when it’s obvious that this just isn’t true.

It would be great if there were some sound file testing software that could detect a problem in a file before one attempted to burn it and make another drink coaster.

Anyway; any opinions and or ideas?

Thanks!