Wonder burner?

Hey guys. I was searching and came across this site. Hope yall can help.

I was sent a DVD by a friend and it plays fine. However, when trying to copy it, I’ve D/L 2 different programs (free trials) that didn’t work.

Is there a “super burner” that will just copy whatever is on the disc, whether it feels it reads an error or not? (I mean, the disc can’t be bad because the entire thing plays fine. So I don’t know where the error message comes up or why it copied fine on one program, but when played it froze the computer.)

If not, what about DVD recorders? I know that they record images off of TV and then put them on DVD. Can you play a DVD, record the image, and then burn it back onto a DVD? (I have a friend with one of those that I could probably pester into doing a few copies for me.)

Worst comes to worst, I’ll bother my friend (that sent it to me) again. But he’s got a family and work and between the time and then sending them through the mail, it’s the last thing I want to do to the poor guy.

Thanks for reading!

What free programs have you used? Welcome to the forum.

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

I tried the latest Nero. 8.1.1.4 or something like that.

And “Burn My Files”.

(Both are off my computer already. Nero froze it.)

To copy a burned (or pressed, if it doesn’t have ‘protection’) disk, ImgBurn is free and works good. ImgBurn -> Mode -> Read will exactly copy the DVD to your HD (as an ISO file); ImgBurn -> Mode -> Write will burn that ISO file back to a blank disk.

[QUOTE=marching banned;1955030]Hey guys. I was searching and came across this site. Hope yall can help.

I was sent a DVD by a friend and it plays fine. However, when trying to copy it, I’ve D/L 2 different programs (free trials) that didn’t work.

[B]Is there a “super burner” that will just copy whatever is on the disc, whether it feels it reads an error or not?[/B] (I mean, the disc can’t be bad because the entire thing plays fine. So I don’t know where the error message comes up or why it copied fine on one program, but when played it froze the computer.)[/QUOTE]

Answer is simple: No.

I figured as much, but thought I’d ask just to be safe.

It’s kinda moot now, though, because I went out and bought a DVD recorder and now I have to try to figure out exactly where the chapter stops are and how to program them into the DVD recorder. Hopefully it’s not horribly difficult.

Thanks all for your help with the matter.

The problem mainly is that most of all sold (pressed) DVDs have copy protection schemes on them.

[QUOTE=marching banned;1955030]I was sent a DVD by a friend and it plays fine. However, when trying to copy it, I’ve D/L 2 different programs (free trials) that didn’t work.
[/QUOTE]

Your apparently simple question may not be so simple. Generally, the more specific your question, the better your chance of getting useful answers. A major section of the forums here are devoted to issues with copying DVDs.

First, is the DVD you are trying to copy an original commercial DVD? Most recent commercial DVDs are dual layer, and require compression to fit on a single-layer DVD-R. Also, most commercial DVDs are protected. Those issues lead to programs for this specific purpose, and their related discussions.

If it is a copy or a home video without any protection, then the possible issues are different, and a broader range of programs may be appropriate.

Can you clarify a bit regarding your specific problem? Also, which programs (including version) have you tried?