Won`t recognize blank dvd discs

vbimport

i have a liteon hd-a740x which is the secnd liteon that has had the same problem in that any dvd blank disc i insert to record on is not recognized. it says to insert blank media as there is no disc present when there is.
it plays about 90% of th recordings i have made on my pc but wont record onto blank discs, it does record onto the hard drive but that defeats the purpose of why i bought it. the previous one i returned with the same problem and it was replaced after emailing usa hq and back which took ages and i dont fancy doing that again.
someone here suggested cleaning the laser with alcohol and it worked for him.
my qustions are
1, how can i do a factory reset on this model?
would be really grateful if anyone can help me?
many thanks…:frowning:
2, does anyone know how to clean the laser?

[QUOTE=scotsdavy;2467319]
1, how can i do a factory reset on this model?[/QUOTE]

This is going to sound like a silly question, but is there not a section in the user manual that tells you how to reset the unit?

In the manual for my Philips DVDR-5500, it’s found in the “Troubleshooting” section.

i found the reset but it makes no difference at all…

Did you add the software first for the DVD burner?

[QUOTE=Riskyone101;2468859]Did you add the software first for the DVD burner?[/QUOTE]What software? :confused:
This is a standalone recorder, not a computer component.

Michael

moved this thread where it belongs to

scotsdavy, there’s another thread on drive replacement in the a760x which may be helpful. It should be listed right around this thread in the forum list…

well i got a reply from liteon and they said it was a faulty component and basically in their own words there is nothing they can or are prepared to do about it. i even asked if i could buy a replacement burner as i have an expensive bit of silver component that tells the time but they were not interested at all!
i will never ever by anything from them again.
they said to download the firmware for it but i explained it won`t even play a dvd or cd so there was no chance in doing that.
it was like hitting my head against a brick wall.
i had a previous version years ago and it did the same thing as well.
best of all, i have a dvd player that i have had for years with no complaints and it cost 90% less than this one.
usual story, once they get your money they are not interested.
i reminde them about customer relations but it fell on deaf ears as per usual.
afecu, i will look at the thread you mentioned, many thanks

Since this thread were brought up because someone spammed it with ad…

Here is a info that might could help others:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2036275_clean-lens-dvd.html