Womble & saving files

vbimport

I’ve been playing with the trial version on Womble MPEG-VCR Video Editor.

I edited the commercials from a TV program that I had recorded with a stand alone DVD recorder. However I’m not sure how to properly save the new file in order to burn it to a new DVD-R.

There are several options, but it’s not clear to me which one to use.

1. There is MPEG-2 Program Stream (PS), which states is the format used by the Digital Video Disk (DVD) format. This one sounds good because I do want to make a DVD.

2. MPEG-2 Transport Stream (TS), which states is mainly used for transmission of multi-program MPEG-2 compressed contents over telecommunication channels. This one sounds good because it appears I started with a TS file. However when saving to this format it asks to select PID parameters. But there is nothing in the help file or guide explaining PID.

3. The help file mentions about “Save Editor Project”. It states “An Editor project file is a text file containing complete information about a list of edited MPEG video clips. Unlike the Save operation, save an Editor project does not involving any re-encoding computation.” Obviously I do not want any re-encoding to take place. But there is no list of edited MPEG video clips. I just have the one long TV movie with no commercial.

What is the proper way to save my new movie file in order to burn to a DVD-R?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Perhaps you should try the trial version of Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD? It will let you create a finished dvd video ready to burn to disk rather than just an mpeg file.

Of your current options, you should use Mpeg2 Program Stream. This will give you an mpeg2 file with video and audio. If you want to make a dvd that will play on any dvd player, this would have to be run through a dvd authoring program. A free one that is relatively easy to use is DVDStyler.

Another program that might work for you if you want to try it is VideoRedo TV Suite. It is the equivalent of the Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD software I mentioned at first. There is a free trial available for this VideoRedo program.

Kerry56,

Thank you for the reply. Actually I am also trying MPEG Video Wizard DVD, but am having some difficulties. I am trying to follow the instructions under “How to Edit Out Commercials“ in the help menu. But I must not be understanding all the steps.

Steps 1 through 5 are OK.

I cannot find the “trim cut’ button as mentioned in Step 6. And there is no reference to it in the help menu. But I did use the “X” key. However nothing was removed. When I used the MPEG-VCR program, cutting out a segment did it right away.

Step 9 mentions about adding the remaining program segments to the Timeline. I do not see anything in my Timeline to begin with. And what segments would I be adding? If I’m cutting out commercials the only thing left is one long segment. Again I’m comparing to the MPEG-VCR program.

Step 10 says “You can save the remaining program segments to an MPEG file using the “Trim” function from the context menu of the Input monitor. I presume this refers to the ones I want to keep.” But I do not see a trim function. The only item in the help menu that mentions Trim is “Trimming Clips”. And again, would I have only one long segment as I mentioned in Step 9 above?

I guess I’m expecting MPEG Video Wizard DVD to behave similar to MPEG-VCR. I’m comparing the two programs to see if I really need the power & features of MPEG Video Wizard DVD. I do like using the mouse scroll wheel to zero in on marking the In and Out points. But I’m having no luck in cutting out the unwanted segments.

Any other help that you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Mike

There is a trim cut button on the right pane and I use the slider under the picture to mark the beginning and end of what I want to remove.

I think I found the cause of my problem. I was using the Mark In and Mark Out buttons that were located on the right side of the time line. After I used the buttons located under the Input window everything seemed to fall into place.

I did burn a DVD-R and it works!!

I did follow Womble’s instructions and made an editor project file (.wbp) first in order to get it into the DVD Maker. I then had to export the DVD project into another folder, as per their instructions. This created the “VIDEO_TS” and all the required files.

They state: “a DVD export will create a full DVD file system, which includes a “VIDEO_TS” file folder filled with DVD video (".VOB") files, and an empty “AUDIO_TS”. However this part of the PDF instructions appear to for MPEG Video Wizard (not Video Wizard DVD). The actual MPEG Video Wizard DVD software has a box to select if you want to create a “AUDIO_TS” file. I did check a couple of other DVDs that I had recorded and they did not have an “AUDIO_TS” folder. Is this needed since it is empty anyway?

Is there anyway to burn a DVD-R from the .MPG file? I could not find a way a to do this with MPEG Video Wizard DVD or with the Nero software that came with my DVD drive. It appears they both are looking for .VOB and .IFO files.

Thanks again to everyone,
Mike

The Audio_TS folder isn’t really necessary. Certain players and software look for the folder, so it sometimes helps with compatibility and doesn’t hurt anything to include it.

You can burn an mpeg file to disk, but just as data. It won’t play in most dvd players the way you intend. You have to use an authoring program to put it into dvd-video format (Video_TS folder containing vob, ifo and bup files). MPEG Video Wizard DVD includes the authoring capability. And as I said before, there are other authoring programs you can use, including a few free ones.

My ability to help here is limited, since I’m trying to remember the Womble programs from a couple of years back. I tried the trials just as you are doing. I use VideoReDo Plus to edit tv captures, then a separate authoring program called DVDLab Pro.

[quote=Mike109;2082156]Is there anyway to burn a DVD-R from the .MPG file? I could not find a way a to do this with MPEG Video Wizard DVD or with the Nero software that came with my DVD drive. It appears they both are looking for .VOB and .IFO files. [/quote]Unfortunately MPEG-VW-DVD will not burn anything; the .mpg file or the VIDEO_TS folder is the end-point of its output. However, if you do save the edited video as a PS stream (as Kerry advised), you can use Nero to burn the bare MPEG2 file by using the ‘Data’ template. If you try and use the DVD-Video one then it will try and author to the standard set of files; .IFO, .BUP, .VOB, etc.

I see you have most of the answers already to the MPEG-VW problems, but perhaps I could add a couple of tips…? If you use the ‘Mark In’ and ‘Mark out’ buttons under the ‘Input’ window to select the portion of video you want to keep, then just drag and drop the video window onto the timeline and the segment will appear there. Only the selection you made will be transferred. Then select the next piece of video - for example between the next adverts - and drag and drop that in front of the first part on the timeline, then drag it left to join with the first part. Just a slightly different way to build up the edited version.

BTW… PS (program stream) is best for the eventual DVD-Video as the internal organisation of the frames will be adjusted to suit. Transport streams (TS) have a different arrangement and do not conform to the DVD-Video specification; which limits its compatibility with a standard DVD player.

[Edit: Moved to Video Edit software forum]

MPEG Video Wizard DVD will burn discs. That is how I made the DVD-R. A message did come up saying it uses Nero or I can use my own software. I just used what Video Wizard DVD provided. And of course it also created the VIDEO_TS folder.

I wanted to save the edited version of the video & figured saving the .MPG file might be the easiest since it is a single file. But since to I have to create a VIDEO_TS folder anyway I may as well save that. The .MPG file and the VIDEO_TS folder were almost exactly the same file size, so no space savings by going either way.

[quote=Mike109;2082381]MPEG Video Wizard DVD will burn discs. That is how I made the DVD-R. A message did come up saying it uses Nero or I can use my own software. I just used what Video Wizard DVD provided. [/quote]Whilst not wishing to devalue your happy experience, MPEG-VW-DVD did not provide the burning engine. You have Nero installed and it took advantage of that (which is fine). It’s important to make the distinction in case anyone readiing this - and who doesn’t have Nero installed - gets the impression that there’s intrinsic burning capability in MPEG-VW-DVD. There isn’t, and Womble themselves state that it’s better this way so that people can use whatever burning application they choose (e.g. as an alternative freeware application use ‘ImgBurn’; which is highly recommended across all CD/DVD burning forums).

[quote=Mike109;2082381]I wanted to save the edited version of the video & figured saving the .MPG file might be the easiest since it is a single file. But since to I have to create a VIDEO_TS folder anyway I may as well save that. The .MPG file and the VIDEO_TS folder were almost exactly the same file size, so no space savings by going either way.[/quote]Yes, there’s probably not much difference in filesize but there may be a significant difference in the time taken between the last edit and viewing the result. I’m not sure what you mean, but if saving as a bare .mpg file you don’t need a VIDEO_TS folder.

imkidd57,

I stand corrected. Sorry if I misinformed anyone.

My optical drive came with Nero Essentials 7.9.6, so I do have Nero on my PC. It also contains other Nero items, but nothing with a version 6.

When I use MPEG Video Wizard DVD a message comes up saying “Womble DVD Burning based on Nero Burning ROM 6. Also you can use other software to burn the VTS folder”. Since Womble was using a version that I did not have, I figured it was part of Womble. I’m presuming then that the Nero Express Essentials 7 is using the Nero Burning ROM 6 burning engine. Is this correct?

I would like to save a copy of the edited software in case I have to burn another DVD-R. It seems better to create & save a VIDEO_TS folder versus a .MPG file. That way I could burn another copy right away without having to re-create the VIDEO_TS folder again. Does that make sense?

Don’t know which burning engine comes with that Nero Essentials version, but Womble may simply be identifying it incorrectly.

Nothing wrong with keeping the video in dvd format instead of mpeg.

I understand Womble does not re-encode. However I saw a comment elsewhere that Nero may still re-encode. Is this possible?

I just cut out commercials from a DVD-R that was originally made in the 1 hour XP mode on my stand alone DVD recorder. The program was 56 minutes long and looking at the disc it was just about full, as it should be.

The edited program is 43 minutes long but only filled about a half inch worth of burning area, or less than half burned!!

I previously did a 1 hour program that was originally recorded in the 2 hour SP mode. The edited 45 minute program burned about half a disc, which looks about right.

How come the XP mode program was reduced in size?

[quote=Mike109;2082757]I understand Womble does not re-encode. However I saw a comment elsewhere that Nero may still re-encode. Is this possible?[/quote]Womble does re-encode if you change the output format; for example if you try to change the aspect ratio (4:3 to 16:9), quality setting (ie the bitrate, going from HQ to SP settings), or even to another codec (MPEG-1). If you import a recording from a DVD recorder in SP and just do some plain editing, MPEG-VW will not re-encode. It’s one of the advantages that make it so attractive to use.

I am pretty sure that the Nero Burning ROM part of the Nero suite has no re-encoding capability, so burning to disc using it will only reformat the edited MPEG-2 recording into the multiple .VOB (video object) files, and add the .IFO and .BUP information files.

[quote=Mike109;2082781]I just cut out commercials from a DVD-R that was originally made in the 1 hour XP mode on my stand alone DVD recorder. The program was 56 minutes long and looking at the disc it was just about full, as it should be.

The edited program is 43 minutes long but only filled about a half inch worth of burning area, or less than half burned!!

I previously did a 1 hour program that was originally recorded in the 2 hour SP mode. The edited 45 minute program burned about half a disc, which looks about right.

How come the XP mode program was reduced in size?[/quote]Probably the “XP” mode of your recorder is not compatible with the DVD Video standards (the quality of which is roughly equivalent to SP in DVD recorder terms), so Womble must have re-encoded it down to SP level if you asked it to make a DVD or kept the default settings. Can you please clarify which version of MPEG-VW you are using; either the ‘DVD’ version or just the ordinary one?

I am using the DVD version of MPEG-VW.

Well I found out what happened with my condensed video, but I don’t know why. Only a part of the video was recorded. All the segments were showing on the Timeline, so I don’t know what went wrong, especially since I’m new with this program. The only thing I did different this time was not to save it as a .MPG file first. But that should not make a difference. But obviously I did something wrong. I went back & saved as an .MPG first. I then created & burned another DVD-R and it turned out OK. It burned almost the full disc & seems to play correctly.

I figured I should check the other videos I had edited, which was only a couple. I found another problem. I have a DVD-RAM which I previously edited on my stand alone DVD recorder. But I figured perhaps I may be able to clean up the edit points. So I copied the .VRO file to my PC and then used the MPEG-VW-DVD program. I touched up a few of the previous edits & created a DVD-R. When I looked at the final video on my TV at least one of the edit points now has a part of the audio way out of wack. It’s off by several seconds! I think the manual for the MPEG-VW-DVD program (or somewhere) I read about if RAM was in segments that it may cause a problem. This is probably a result of my previous editing. I’ll play with this a bit more.

I re-edited the RAM disc program that was giving me problems. I previously left a commercial in that I wanted. This audio was giving me problems when edited in MPEG VW DVD. So I cut out that commercial and went over all the previous edit points and & did another set of edits with MPEG VW DVD, but now cutting a bit closer to the program material in order to eliminate any left over commercial frames, and there were a couple. The new DVD-R works correctly.

Just looking at what you’re wanting to do, you should also try VideoRedo TV Suite that Kerry recommended earlier. As the name suggests it’s better for simple editing of TV recordings, has a similar resistance to re-encoding, and it does contain its own burning engine. :wink: It also allows multiple titles on a DVD (which unfortunately Womble MPEG-VW-DVD doesn’t).

Womble products’ strengths are in editing and constructing larger projects from scratch, such as home or professional video compilations; or even whole movie revisions. It has a lot of excellent transitions (different fades and scene changes) which thankfully do not stimulate an entire re-encoding. At one time it was the pre-eminent video editing programme but others have now caught up and in some ways surpassed Womble.

I use both programmes, and to be honest - and as Kerry suggests - VRD-TVS clearly has the lead when it comes to editing and burning TV programmes. There’s no separate timeline like Womble, but you mark in and mark out the advert start/finish points, then set it to author to DVD and burn if required.

It’s just horses for courses and the knowledge you’ve obtained with Womble won’t be wasted. :slight_smile: If you mainly want to deal with TV recordings then I would concur with Kerry and suggest you give it a try with their free 1-month trial.

imkidd57,

I will be trying VideoRedo TV Suite next and have already looked at their manual. I plan on editing the same programs that I already did with Womble in order to compare the two programs. What I did not care for with Womble were the two video windows (input & output). I’m sure they have their place, but seemed like too much for what I want to do.

I sometimes see a program called TMPGEnc-Author mentioned. Are you familiar with it? If so, any comments on it?

Thanks again,
Mike

Very wise to try these different programs out for yourself. :iagree:

I’m not familiar with TMPGEnc-Author at all, unfortunately, but it has strong afficionados here on CD Freaks :). Although I wouldn’t like to speak for Kerry, I know [B]CDan[/B] (amongst others) has considerable experience and perhaps might give some insight.

Hi all,
These days I’m learning how to use MPEG Video Wizard DVD.
It seems I’m doing ok, but still have some questions about the final size of the dvd.
Situation 1:
2 avi files (268+328 mb) joined together, final dvd size: 4 gb.
Situation 2:
the same two avi files (268+328 mb) + 787 mb of other files (avi, mpeg, mp4), final dvd size: 2,28 gb.
Confused.
Can someone offer an explanation?
Thanks in advance.