Wolfsheim - Casting Shadows: New DOC.loc-version?

Wolfsheim - Casting Shadows, regular jewel-case-release without DigiPack (Germany):

INDIGO CD 1460-2
IFPI LL88
IFPI 9702
BarCode: INDIGO 4015698 1460-2 8
© 2003 Strange Ways Records, Indigo, WB

There is no “DOC.data” printed on the inner ring of the disc but Indigo has used DOC.loc before, too (e.g. Helium - Vola).

chati has discovered this new audio copy protection, ref. tohttp://www.brennmeister.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=59449&forum=12&34.

Today I’ve bought that corrupt disc in order to test it in my drives.

It appears to be the hardest commercial audio-protection that I’ve ever seen. Only 2 of my 8 drives were able to rip the disc correctly.

The behaviour is very similar to DOC.loc V1a/b (Helium - Vola / Warp Brothers - Blast the Speakers) but it’s a bit harder. My old Teac CD-R50S could not recognize the disc although it can read DOC.loc V1a&b, see paragraph below. As far as I can tell the Teac seems to hang in an endless loop which could be caused by a recursive track in the TOC.

The disc comes up with one session and a track #0 in front of the audios, ref. to Plextor PX-20TSi-paragraph.

The felt-tip-pen-trick does not work as the problem appears to be located between LBA 0 and 1200.

All tests were performed under Win98SE, ASPI 4.60, switched-off auto-insert-notification and ExactAudioCopy 0.9 beta 4 if not mentioned otherwise.

• Yamaha CRW-F1E (Fw. 1.0f):
    ============================

The drive recognizes the disc and it’s 11 audio-tracks very quickly and all tracks can be ripped with EAC and read command D8. Detect TOC manually is not necessary. Track 1 starts at 10 sec. (like Helium - Vola).

• Plextor PX-20TSi “12/20 Plex”-SCSI-CD-ROM (Fw. 1.01):
    =======================================================

It takes a little time until the disc is recognized but then you can see 11 audio tracks. They can be ripped @full-speed with read command D8. There’s no need to use detect TOC manually. Using EAC’s secure mode you achieve 100% quality, so that we can assume there are no artificial C2-errors like on Cactus200-discs.

Starting IsoBuster 1.3 firstly results in an endless loop. Nevertheless, when you open the drives tray you make IsoBuster exit this loop and you can see the damaged TOC:

It is a single session disc and there is a track 0 (2,34 MB) beginning at LBA 0 in front of the audio tracks which is marked with a red plus sign. The audio tracks start at LBA 1200 and the are numerated in a wrong way: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 16 and 17. Afaik there is a corrupt data track at the beginning of the disc causing all the recognizing problems.

0 Compaq (LG/Goldstar) CRD-8320B 32x-ATAPI-CD-ROM (Fw. 1.14):

The drive has no difficulties in recognizing and in ripping the disc. Unfortunately there are lots of clicks in the wave-files. However, the drive is no perfect DAE-device. It can rip at a maximum of 3x.

• LiteOn LTD-163 (Fw. GH5S):
    ============================

… does not recognize the disc.

• Plextor PX-32TSi “UltraPlex”-32x-SCSI-CD-ROM (Fw. 1.03):
    ==========================================================

… does not recognize the disc. The head movements sound like scanning a DOC.loc V1a/b-disc. At the end the drive-LED blinks 5 times.

• Plextor PX-W1610TA (Fw. 1.05):
    ================================

… shows the same behaviour like the UltraPlex32, but the drive-LED blinks 8 times.
Ejecting / reloading the disc a few times and activating the SingleSession-featuredo do not help, too.

• Teac CD-R50S (Fw. 1.0G):
    ==========================

The drive hangs inside an endless loop when it tries to recognize the disc. Although it is capable of ripping DOC.loc V1a&b-disc, it fails this time. This is the first audio-copy-protection which cannot be ripped with that drive.
Even Goldenhawk’s CDRwin 4.0 beta is not able to get a TOC out of the drive. Switching off and on the external SCSI tower when the disc is inserted ends in the recursive scanning, too.
Loading the disc with CloneCD does not succeed.

• Toshiba SD-M1612 Rev. C (Fw. 1002):
    =====================================

… does not recognize the disc.

In the meantime many users came up with new results. (ref. to http://www.brennmeister.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=59449&forum=12&90 and http://www.patrizios-cdrsoft.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=audio_cds;action=display;num=1049828557).

• LG CD-ROM CRD-8480M (Fw. 1.01)
  • LG CED 8080B recorder (beats every DOC.loc-version)
  • LiteON LTR-52246S (Fw. 6SOA)
  • Plextor PX-20TSi (Fw. 1.00)
  • Plextor PX-12CSi (Fw. 1.00)
  • Plextor PX-4CSi
  • Teac CD-R55S (Fw. 1.0r)
  • Asus 50x
  • LG CD-ROM CRD-8520B (Fw. ?)
  • LG CD-ROM CRD-8521B (Fw. 1.04)
  • LG GCE-8400B (Fw. 1.03)
  • LiteOn LTN-525S
  • Pioneer DVD-105
  • Plextor.PX-.40 TSi old rev. (Fw. 1.05)
  • Plextor.PX-.40 TSi new rev. (Fw. 1.13)
  • Plextor PX-W2410TA (Fw. 1.04)
  • Plextor PX-W1210TS (Fw. 1.06)
  • Samsung SD-608
  • Teac CD-W512EB (Fw. ?)
  • Toshiba SD-M1712 (Fw. 1004)

Mh…i think i’ll buy that disc…

more results:

• LG DRD8120B (Fw. 1e05 (patched region free))
  • LiteOn LTR-48125W (Fw. VS0D)
  • Plextor.PX-.40 TSi new rev. (Fw. 1.14)
  • Plextor Premium
  • Pioneer DVR-A03
  • Toshiba 1502