WMV Zune ID tag and bitrates - bugs?

vbimport

It seems that the Title and Author entries are not written to the file once finished. The Zune 30GB would display the Title tag, but the Author entry would be useless. I think these tags may not be written for the other mobile profiles. Could someone with other devices other than zune check? For now, I have to go through the file property and manually enter the Title and Comment entries. Somehow the Comment string is not shown in the Zune 30GB device. Strange. I need to find out what’s wrong. The sample videos that come with the device have the Title, comments, and year shown.

btw, doesn’t FFMPEG have an option for the artist and comment section? What version of FFMPEG does DVDFab Platinum use?

Another thing about bitrate, under Conversion Settings dialog, no matter which profile you choose, if you choose the 2-pass encoding method, there’s only one entry for the bitrate, i.e. Fixed Bitrate. Shouldn’t there be 2 entries for the user to enter: avg bitrate and max bitrate? During the conversion, the log does not show if it’s doing 1-pass or 2-pass, at least when I choose the Zune WMV profile, so I have no idea which pass it’s working on. The Fixed Bitrate entry would indicate to me that it’s doing 1-pass.

When I look at the profile file (zune.wmv.wma.xml), the max bitrate is defined to be 5000. If DVDFabPlat really does 2-pass encoding with this max bitrate, I’m surprised that the Zune 30GB device would accept. Well, I haven’t play the 2-hour movie on the device so I don’t know if there’s any freezing or jerking. The specs for WMV encoding for the Zune devices is up to 800kbps avg bitrate and 1.5Mbps max bitrate for the Zune 30GB, and up to 3Mbps max bitrate for the Zune 4GB, 8GB, and 80GB. See here for the Zune specs: http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/compare.htm

This is for Platinum 5.0.2.0, btw.

No one cares about the Title and Author entries for the mobile profiles (ipod, PS3, PDA, etc.) to see if it really shows in the device? If it doesn’t write to the file, it’s not going to show up in the device.

When I check on the available options of FFMPEG, I see there are options for Title, Author, Copyright, Comment, Genre, Album strings. Maybe these could be added in Mobile settings. The latest build of FFMPEG is of April 2, 2008.

Anyone does 2-pass encoding for the mobile profiles? Do you see it in the log? I think there should be 2 box entries for the user to enter the avg and max bitrates, not just the fixed bitrate. Currently, all the profiles have a defined max bitrate.

hi,

In current version, some tag not be written into wmv, I will add it in the future version.

and for the wmv 2pass, will not show it in the message list box, because wmv 2pass logic is not different with others, but it is really 2pass encoding. :slight_smile:

I think you can adjust output bitrate by yourself, maxbitrate just is a reference.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Ting;2056451]hi,

In current version, some tag not be written into wmv, I will add it in the future version.

and for the wmv 2pass, will not show it in the message list box, because wmv 2pass logic is not different with others, but it is really 2pass encoding. :slight_smile:

I think you can adjust output bitrate by yourself, maxbitrate just is a reference.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Ting, I think you should really look at how ABCAvi Tag Editor writes the tags to AVI also as these tags can be used by Streaming Media servers such as TVersity to catalogue your library.

Also, AudioShell (from www.softpointer.com) can also edit tags in MP4 videos.

Hi Ting, thanks for the reply. Yes, I can modify the profile myself. As for the tags, I can enter them manually, as only some of the tags are being shown by the device. So it’s no biggie. However, on the PC, since I have dBpowerAMP, it shows everything.

Looking forward to the future update. :slight_smile: